Both Jones' are unsure with how to proceed on direction of the team

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Do they want Prescott or do not?

I'm starting to think they, including Mac, finally realized what they got in him and its ugly, but for whatever reason, they can not just come out and say it, so they are scheming some elaborate way of getting rid of him with the lesser harm for the franchise.
Every year the common statement about the offense is that it's "basic", "predictable", "not imaginative enough" etc. For the last 8 years we have heard this. They swapped out OC's and the statements remain. Do we think that this is some weird coincidence that 3 OC's who have had no real working relationship with each other had vastly different systems that they were implementing and somehow all of them magically were.....pick your pejorative. Jeez, I wonder if it's the QB......just wonder. Naw couldn't be, it's all a magical coincidence. Somehow the Cowboys managed to stumble of 3 OC's who were all unimaginative dudes, yes let's go with that fantasy. This way we can continue to prop up this fantasy of Dak Prescott being a competent QB.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The Packers loss coupled with the Texans swift ascension was finally the impetus to get Jerry rethinking things.

There has to be a new football man behind this new philosophy because it's totally unlike Jerry......2025 will reveal the man behind the curtain
Jimmy Johnson

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
I'm starting to think they, including Mac, finally realized what they got in him and its ugly, but for whatever reason, they can not just come out and say it,
Well when you pause and think about it, this isn't his rookie contract. They had him for his entire rookie contract and then went out and made him one of the highest paid dudes in the NFL. How many times has Jerry shot his mouth off about his faith that Dak can win a title? Only to now after 8 years of this turn around and say....whoops, we kind of screwed up royally. If Jerry does not tolerate one thing is having his decisions made to make him look foolish. He'd much rather quietly axe the problem and move on causing minimal attention to it.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak Prescott 8 year pro with a 2-5 playoff record and in those 5 losses look absolutely horrible in 4 of them. 3 against the 49-ers and last season against the Packers. His best playoff game has been beating up a horrible TB Bucs team that had no business even being in the playoffs. But no matter, he made up for that by going out and playing horribly against a Packers team that barely got into the playoffs by the skin of their teeth.

Meanwhile, Jerry looks around sees CJ Stroud over in Houston. He sees Geno Smith have a renaissance in Seattle for a fraction of what Dak is costing him. He sees Baker Mayfield in Tampa do something Dak couldn't this season - get out of the first round. He sees Jared Goff go to Detroit and resurrect his career and leading the Lions to their first ever NFC Championship game since 1992 and lose by 3 points. He sees Brock Purdy lead the 49-ers to their second NFC Championship game in back to back years and a SB appearance - all in the span of 2 years. Yea Dak Prescott is real special with that #2 in MVP votes.
Holy moly there is some serious truth right there!

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I honestly don’t think they care what the record is as long as the business makes money.
tenor.gif

Gonzomandela01

Reaction score
Well when you pause and think about it, this isn't his rookie contract. They had him for his entire rookie contract and then went out and made him one of the highest paid dudes in the NFL. How many times has Jerry shot his mouth off about his faith that Dak can win a title? Only to now after 8 years of this turn around and say....whoops, we kind of screwed up royally. If Jerry does not tolerate one thing is having his decisions made to make him look foolish. He'd much rather quietly axe the problem and move on causing minimal attention to it.
They act like that friend whose girl cheats on him again and again and thinks she is gonna change this time.

kskboys

Reaction score
What gets them the most in revenue. That's their long-term goal. Championships don't matter as long as they can cheap out, be relevant, and earn lots of money.
And you missed the biggest one, stroke their own egos.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
What’s the worst scenario for a fraud?

Being exposed.

Having to find the next QB will very likely do exactly that for these two. I fully expect them to cave to France.

Lance being around is nothing more than a feeble attempt at leverage which I’m sure France laughs over.

He was probably like…‘it’s 4/250, 200 fully guaranteed with a full NTC to begin talks’…or we go to free agency in nine months and you have no QB. Good luck.

That’s why theres no extension. If they can’t get him at a discount may as well make him play the year healthy. Jerry was also probably pissed off over that and is now saying….’ok, then we aren’t going to help you on the field. For that money, win games by yourself. Yeah that hurts him in a way but helps his massive ego, which rules the show here if no one has noticed.

The only caveat I see to the Lance situation is if this season goes by way of 2020…Dak goes down for the year on the earlier side, and Lance comes in and plays well. Even if that scenario hits, they will have to overpay him since he would have other offers.

There’s a reason why things don’t seem to add up
The notion Jerry Jones would purposely sabotage the Cowboys’ chances of winning football games is ridiculous. He knows the business side of football. He certainly wants players’ agents respecting that and extends respect to agents and their clients. And he is a member of a fairly exclusive club, the controlling owners of an NFL franchise. There is no way he’d do anything to embarrass himself to his colleagues. Torpedoing his own team would not endear himself to NFL coaches, the present ones, and certainly coaches that are potential future hires. Not to mention players. Imagine what Lamb would think of an owner that would do such a thing. Lamb ever becomes a free agent all 31 of the other teams will aggressively try to sign him. Probably wouldn’t talk to the Cowboys. Come on. I get the angst over the loss to the Packers, but some of these posts are over the edge.

kskboys

Reaction score
The notion Jerry Jones would purposely sabotage the Cowboys’ chances of winning football games is ridiculous. He knows the business side of football. He certainly wants players’ agents respecting that and extends respect to agents and their clients. And he is a member of a fairly exclusive club, the controlling owners of an NFL franchise. There is no way he’d do anything to embarrass himself to his colleagues. Torpedoing his own team would not endear himself to NFL coaches, the present ones, and certainly coaches that are potential future hires. Not to mention players. Imagine what Lamb would think of an owner that would do such a thing. Lamb ever becomes a free agent all 31 of the other teams will aggressively try to sign him. Probably wouldn’t talk to the Cowboys. Come on. I get the angst over the loss to the Packers, but some of these posts are over the edge.
Yeah, Jerry's not smart enough to purposely sabotage anything.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I think we are getting to unfamiliar territory for the Jones’ in how to direct/plan for the team’s future. I think both wanted to see more playoff success this past season-not just because of stroking their egos but also because it would make marketing and future planning so much easier. If any season was set up for a deep playoff run (at least CCG)-it was this past one. Don’t have to face SF till that game. Plus, you could endlessly market the fact that you finally broke the 28 year drought even if SF destroyed the team yet again.

I think that GB game actually bummed Jerry out. I think he and Stephen see that the squad has plateaued with Dak, and last season was the best chance they will ever get to market him as a guy that can help advance Dallas in the postseason. That makes planning any future with Dak way more tenuous. It is extremely unlikely that Dak plays more than 5 seasons as a starter (and I think it likely that could plummet if he gets poor or just average offensive line play even for one season-which might happen this season).

I think both Jones’ are unsure with how to even approach a retool season without an apparent future QB to plan around. It has been awhile since they had to start over with a complete unknown (before Romo).

If what I say is true, we fans will not get any public acknowledgement from either Jones (because of the ensuing marketing disaster). They will speak in meaningless platitudes, but may not extend Dak before the season (all but assuring his last season with Dallas).
Good points, I do think that Green Bay game was a kick to the nuts for Jerry and his idiot boy.

I think they really dont know what to do right now to fix it.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
They are completely sure of what they are doing. They are running out MM and Dak's contract in a way that minimizes future cap hit.

What they don't know is how to respond to media questions in a way that is positive when they aren't acting in a way that maximizes talent this year.
Here is the problem with that scenario.

We have no QB in waiting to take over for Dak.

Lance is the closest thing we have and he is a total unknown. Shanny watched the kid for 2 years in SF and came to the conclusion that he cant play.

That sends up red flags for me, if Shanny (who is one of the smartest offensive minds in the game) thinks you cant play, I find it very hard to believe that Fat Mike can turn him into anything but a backup.

Now if we draft a QB in the first or second round, then I think it does signal the end for Dak.

plasticman

Reaction score
The Packers have a long and distinguished tradition of breaking the spirit of the Cowboys players, their fans, and an emphasis on Jerry Jones.

Historically, we know of the two close NFL championship losses that sent the Packers to the first two Super Bowls in history.

However, it was also the Packer loss in 2010 that got Wade Phillips fired. To add salt to the wound, it was the season in which AT&T stadium was hosting the Super Bowl which the Packers won.

Here's the kicker: The most popular play on Broadway at the time was "Lombardi". It covered the days leading up to the Ice Bowl so that means Tom Landry was the bad guy.

Then came the "Catch That Wasn't" game against the Packers that took a TD away from Dez.

After that we had the division game in which the Cowboys came back from an 18 point deficit to tie the game with 35 second left and that was too much time against Rodgers.

Last playoff game really shouldn't have shocked anyone. They should be near the top of any "Cowboys Rivals" list.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
The Packers have a long and distinguished tradition of breaking the spirit of the Cowboys players, their fans, and an emphasis on Jerry Jones.

Historically, we know of the two close NFL championship losses that sent the Packers to the first two Super Bowls in history.

However, it was also the Packer loss in 2010 that got Wade Phillips fired. To add salt to the wound, it was the season in which AT&T stadium was hosting the Super Bowl which the Packers won.

Here's the kicker: The most popular play on Broadway at the time was "Lombardi". It covered the days leading up to the Ice Bowl so that means Tom Landry was the bad guy.

Then came the "Catch That Wasn't" game against the Packers that took a TD away from Dez.

After that we had the division game in which the Cowboys came back from an 18 point deficit to tie the game with 35 second left and that was too much time against Rodgers.

Last playoff game really shouldn't have shocked anyone. They should be near the top of any "Cowboys Rivals" list.
Good points............I dont think the fact the Packers won is what shocked everybody (lots of fans were predicting a loss before the game), its the manner in which the team lost.

The score was like 48-3 at one point or something like that, just a total and complete demolition of the team..............that is what was so shocking to everybody.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Drafting an elite LT1 will help settle things down.

They still need C1, RB1, LB

And still need about 30 million in 2024 cap.

starfan1

Reaction score
Drafting an elite LT1 will help settle things down.

They still need C1, RB1, LB

And still need about 30 million in 2024 cap.
I bet they are going RBBC unless they are thinking taking brooks and hoping he’s recovered enough to tote the rock as a #1 back

I for 1 don’t think k filling those 3 positions and upgrading it will be all that hard especially if you can trade down

JPJ, Barton or even Frazier is an upgrade day 1. Well maybe Frazier is even swap at cheaper rate. Now getting top notch LT as well may prove problematic

LB should be there in round 2. Heck I’d even consider eichenberg in trade back scenario

That’s just me