Bought into the hype

jnday

Reaction score
Looking back, Dallas was playing sloppy football even when Romo and Dez was healthy. Of course things went South as the injuries took it's toll and it went from bad to worse. I tend to believe that the team bought into the hype during the offseason just as the fans and media did. There was a touch of arrogance surrounding the fans with the thinking that the Oline was one of the GOAT and things would pick up just where they left off last year. I think Jerry bought into the hype as well considering the that the team went into the season with the attitude that any RB could put up big numbers in this offense. It appeared that the team had a very good draft and that raised expectations even more. Do any of you think think last year's record made this team and front office overconfident? I see signs from the team's play that has gave me that impression. Anyone else see this?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The preseason injuries really threw the OL off early. Defensively, we were missing a couple key players because of the suspensions and the early injury to Hardy and even to Scandrick. It just seemed like a lot of players were uncomfortable. STs is usually sloppy for everybody for a few weeks each season since it's only late in the preseason that the players are even playing together. Then losing Dez really changed a lot of how teams defend us. We compensated by featuring Dunbar, then lost him.

That's not to cite injuries again. Just saying we've been subbing a lot of players. At this point, we've seen a couple weeks of the defense playing pretty well together. Offensively, we haven't gelled yet. But the reasons for that are pretty clear.

I know everybody wants the problem to be everything because we've lost four straight and it's really frustrating, but I really don't think it's anything more that we're still missing our two best players.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Looking back, Dallas was playing sloppy football even when Romo and Dez was healthy.

The way training camp has been reduced to camp cupcake because of the cba every team starts off sloopy. Unfortunately we got bit with the injury bud and that caused everything to go downhill. Lke Idgit said, were finally getting back on track now.

jnday

Reaction score
Injuries us s big factor, but this team wasn't aging well at all when Romo got injured. The Oline was not playing well and to be honest, they was not impressive. I am sorry, but but I gave my doubts . Romo playing is not an automatic win when the rest of the team is playing bad football. Of course, I think a couple of the loses would have gone differently , but I saw a team that was never really playing solid football.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
I for one am shocked things got worse after the injuries to our best player who happens to play the most important position in sports and our 2nd best player getting injured. Who could have ever guessed that?

I'm so glad we're looking at the real reason they've sucked. Buying into the secret sauce. I mean come on, doesn't every good team come firing right out of the gates all cylinders clicking? It's absurd to think the Romo and Dez injuries had THAT much of an effect on the teams potential. They're just two players for crying out loud.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
Apparently Romo covers a multitude of sins for this team. Take him out of the equation and the coaches dont look so great. Nobody does. With the OL playing well in this last game the offense looked better than it had in the 3 games Weeden played. The defense is showing signs of being what we had hoped it might be.

As far as buying into the hype, there was reason for optimism coming into this season. Legitimate optimism because we have a very good OL, an elite QB, maybe the games best WR, and a defense that looked to be improved with adding some pieces to give us a pass rush. All you can do is speculate based on what you have and what we had was as good as any team in the NFC, as long as we have our pieces on the field.

When we get Dez and Romo back, and if the rest of the team is somewhat healthy we'll know if 12-4 was fools gold or if the hype was legitimate.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Injuries us s big factor, but this team wasn't aging well at all when Romo got injured. The Oline was not playing well and to be honest, they was not impressive. I am sorry, but but I gave my doubts . Romo playing is not an automatic win when the rest of the team is playing bad football. Of course, I think a couple of the loses would have gone differently , but I saw a team that was never really playing solid football.

Yes, but I think you could say that of nearly every team - with the lack of practice time these days, the preseason basically extends a couple of games into the regular season. No, they weren't playing solid at the time Romo went down but things would likely be better now.

That said, I'm pretty disturbed and disappointed this team couldn't find a way to win a single game in his absence. Given how solid this team was supposed to be from top to bottom, that should never have been the case. Which tells me it was an illusion held together by Romo's playmaking. This team is an embarrassing, bumbling mess without him.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Looking back, Dallas was playing sloppy football even when Romo and Dez was healthy. Of course things went South as the injuries took it's toll and it went from bad to worse. I tend to believe that the team bought into the hype during the offseason just as the fans and media did. There was a touch of arrogance surrounding the fans with the thinking that the Oline was one of the GOAT and things would pick up just where they left off last year. I think Jerry bought into the hype as well considering the that the team went into the season with the attitude that any RB could put up big numbers in this offense. It appeared that the team had a very good draft and that raised expectations even more. Do any of you think think last year's record made this team and front office overconfident? I see signs from the team's play that has gave me that impression. Anyone else see this?

Exactly...Go back and watch that first Giants game. We were getting out played there too...And we were unbelievably sloppy. This team is using injuries as an excuse when the truth is....we aren't very good. I was worried people were playing out of their minds because alot of people were playing for contracts...including the Clapper. And now look...people got paid/extended....and right back to 2010- 2013 BS :mad::mad: :mad:

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
Exactly...Go back and watch that first Giants game. We were getting out played there too...And we were unbelievably sloppy. This team is using injuries as an excuse when the truth is....we aren't very good. I was worried people were playing out of their minds because alot of people were playing for contracts...including the Clapper. And now look...people got paid/extended....and right back to 2010- 2013 BS :mad::mad: :mad:

We absolutely did not get outplayed in the first Giants game. We also really outplayed the Eagles. The scores didn't reflect that because we had some issues in the redzone due to no Dez, but we most definitely did NOT get outplayed.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think the team may very well have bought into the offseason hype to some extent, until such time as they had the opportunity to work together in camp and the preseason games. At that point, I think the OL and offense in general quickly realized that they weren't anywhere near the same unit that they had been taken for during the previous season.

I believe they likely practiced long enough and hard enough to see full well that they'd have problems with their blocking, especially after Leary and Martin sustained injuries early-on in camp. The absence of Murray likely gave them doubts and suspicions even before camp got underway, however.

Certainly, once Dez and Romo quickly went down in the regular season, the knowledge of their difficulties were confirmed beyond any reasonable doubts. I honestly suspect that their morale got seriously deflated, even before the regular season got underway. Once it did, their suspicions were surely irrevocably confirmed when Dez and then Romo were forced to step aside.

Without their presence in the lineup, practices and the preseason games were obviously proven no longer the routine, hole-producing experience that they had been accustomed to during the previous season. Perhaps their morale was quite likely at a low ebb well before the regular season ever got underway. Soon after Dez and then Romo quickly went down and stepped aside, their fears were effectively proven. JMHO.

Even as early as here and now, we're seeing a better OL and offense, as was demonstrated by DMC stepping up and Cassel stepping in at QB. It's very likely we'll also be seeing a significantly better OL, running game and offense in general, just as soon as Dez and Romo make their returns to a much relieved offensive lineup.

Last edited:

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
The team could have won most of their games, injury free, but injuries are a part of the game. I don't think it's buying into the hype.... but they have been mistake prone and undisciplined so far this year. Mistakes that would have to be corrected for a true title run. What has been overrated is our depth. A bunch of average names on the depth chart don't make you deep at a position, talent at a position makes you deep at a position... I'm looking at you DB's, LB's, & D-Line.....

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
Ridiculous to decide how good a team is over six quarters. Dallas were competitive in the Atl, NO and Giant games, with Romo in there no reason to not expect a couple of wins, which would put them in the driving seat for a really poor east and then I'm sure the roster moves wouldn't seem as bad. One day fans will look back at the Weeden to Williams connection as one of the darkest periods in Dallas Cowboys football.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
Ridiculous to decide how good a team is over six quarters. Dallas were competitive in the Atl, NO and Giant games, with Romo in there no reason to not expect a couple of wins, which would put them in the driving seat for a really poor east and then I'm sure the roster moves wouldn't seem as bad. One day fans will look back at the Weeden to Williams connection as one of the darkest periods in Dallas Cowboys football.

That day is today...lol

AshyLarry06

Reaction score
I for one am shocked things got worse after the injuries to our best player who happens to play the most important position in sports and our 2nd best player getting injured. Who could have ever guessed that?

I'm so glad we're looking at the real reason they've sucked. Buying into the secret sauce. I mean come on, doesn't every good team come firing right out of the gates all cylinders clicking? It's absurd to think the Romo and Dez injuries had THAT much of an effect on the teams potential. They're just two players for crying out loud.

Forreal, why would anyone think Romo is THAT important you know? Clearly anyone who's anyone knows that QB is the most dispensable position in the NFL today...

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
but they have been mistake prone and undisciplined so far this year.

And this to me is HUGE and the finger points right at

101513-Jason-Garrett-600.jpg

Its been a staple of his teams. Always talking about getting things cleaned up . . . . . . . . . . . and always a pursuit but never accomplished.