Bought into the hype

Ultra Warrior

6 Million Light-years beyond believability.
Reaction score
Looking back, Dallas was playing sloppy football even when Romo and Dez was healthy. Of course things went South as the injuries took it's toll and it went from bad to worse. I tend to believe that the team bought into the hype during the offseason just as the fans and media did. There was a touch of arrogance surrounding the fans with the thinking that the Oline was one of the GOAT and things would pick up just where they left off last year. I think Jerry bought into the hype as well considering the that the team went into the season with the attitude that any RB could put up big numbers in this offense. It appeared that the team had a very good draft and that raised expectations even more. Do any of you think think last year's record made this team and front office overconfident? I see signs from the team's play that has gave me that impression. Anyone else see this?

Perhaps but they found ways to win, even with a sub-par performance in both victories. Dez & Romo going down, changed the entire division. We lose neither, pretty sure we'd 5-1 or 4-2 at the very least right now.

perrykemp

Reaction score
I think the Cowboys would be 4-2 or 5-1. Not to shabby.

There is no dominant team in the NFC this year. I think the Cowboys would have be on track to minimally host at least one playoff game.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The sloppy football thing has been a staple of this team for years and years now, they make a lot of mistakes. It's why we need so much superior firepower, to overcome the lack of clean execution.

I knew there was a reason for all this talent.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have to wonder how good the Patriots would do if Brady and Gronkowski were out.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Injuries us s big factor, but this team wasn't aging well at all when Romo got injured. The Oline was not playing well and to be honest, they was not impressive. I am sorry, but but I gave my doubts . Romo playing is not an automatic win when the rest of the team is playing bad football. Of course, I think a couple of the loses would have gone differently , but I saw a team that was never really playing solid football.

No, with Romo playing we would of won 3 of those 4 games, and if Dez was playing we would of definitely 3 maybe 4.
Yeah the oline started out rough but now it has it together. The qb play has been way too inconsistent for both the offense and defense to hold it together.

I think it is a little too easy to give your argument now considering where this team is without Romo and Dez

phildadon86

Reaction score
And this to me is HUGE and the finger points right at

101513-Jason-Garrett-600.jpg

Its been a staple of his teams. Always talking about getting things cleaned up . . . . . . . . . . . and always a pursuit but never accomplished.

What did Jimmy Johnson do if a player made a bone head play or got a stupid penalty?

visionary

Reaction score
No. Healthy Romo = 5-1

Stop it already

Did Arizona win any games when Palmer went down?
Did colts will any games when Luck was out?
Did steelers win any famed when Big Ben was out?

There are MULTIPLE examples of teams getting it done without their starting QBs

jnday

Reaction score
The sloppy football thing has been a staple of this team for years and years now, they make a lot of mistakes. It's why we need so much superior firepower, to overcome the lack of clean execution.

I agree that sloppy football has been common over the last few years, but last season the team started cleaning up their play. If this team was truly on an upswing last year, it should have carried over to this season. I do believe that Jerry was arrogant to think that any RB could or RBBC could duplicate the running game from last season. With Jerry making all the public statements , I believe the players started to believe Jerry's statements and the disciple and effort has been lacking. I have noticed that the defense is failing on many of the fundamentals such as basic tackling. I also see players such as Tytone Crawford that has done little to show a contract extension was worth it. It seems that this whole season has been a mess and the injuries have made it a bigger mess. This season reminds me of the year that Dallas was hosting the Super Bowl and many thought that the team was contenders , but we know how that season worked out.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Looking back, Dallas was playing sloppy football even when Romo and Dez was healthy. Of course things went South as the injuries took it's toll and it went from bad to worse. I tend to believe that the team bought into the hype during the offseason just as the fans and media did. There was a touch of arrogance surrounding the fans with the thinking that the Oline was one of the GOAT and things would pick up just where they left off last year. I think Jerry bought into the hype as well considering the that the team went into the season with the attitude that any RB could put up big numbers in this offense. It appeared that the team had a very good draft and that raised expectations even more. Do any of you think think last year's record made this team and front office overconfident? I see signs from the team's play that has gave me that impression. Anyone else see this?

We usually start out sloppy.

Jason Garrett coached teams have been pretty sloppy imo.

The loss of Romo is the cause of all of this. We're 4-2 at worst with him.

When he is not here it really shows all the things we lack.

VACowboy

Reaction score
I have to wonder how good the Patriots would do if Brady and Gronkowski were out.

As well as their best slot receiver and two best pass rushers.

Amazes me how many people think you can subtract a team's QB and best WR and expect everyone else on the offense to be as productive as they were.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
Stop it already

Did Arizona win any games when Palmer went down?
Did colts will any games when Luck was out?
Did steelers win any famed when Big Ben was out?

There are MULTIPLE examples of teams getting it done without their starting QBs

Were they also missing their next two best players?

perrykemp

Reaction score
Amazes me how many people think you can subtract a team's QB and best WR and expect everyone else on the offense to be as productive as they were.

But is it reasonable to expect them to win a game or two along the way? That's the $64,000 question.

If they happen to go 0-7 without Romo, which BTW I don't think will happen, I absolutely think it would be fair to assess the rest of the roster and conclude that the talent level of the overall team wasn't quite as high as most of us thought coming into the season.

jnday

Reaction score
Speak for yourself. I never bought into any hype.

I know you didn't . I had my doubts as well, but I did expect more than this. I didn't expect these younger players to take a step back to this extent.