Boy Steve Young nailed it

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2331796 said:
I disagree the offensive and defensive schemes aren't there. Offense are not doing what is need to get TO open more and defense continues to give up 20 points a game.

Well with that, let's focus on offense for a moment. What can the offense do to make TO get open more? It's up to him to run the routes called for; if a team is going to commit to stopping him, then they should be made to pay, since our other offensive weapons are anything but slouches.

Witten, Barber, both on the ground and through the air; our receivers, outside of TO, don't suck. What more can the offense do to make this a reality?

This then begs the question of who is doing something different, and by his own admission, Tony Romo is. Start moving more, making plays with your feet to give the play more time to develop. Like you did last year and the half year before.

I've said elsewhere, this teams problems are larger than one player, but Romo's play throughout the last three weeks, i.e. some pretty bad throws and an increasing number of fumbles, deserves some scrutiny.

The QB is a lynch-pin. How many went nuts and attributed much of the glory to him, when he took over the reigns and flashed brilliance? A lot. Now that he has changed, he's going to have to be given his share of responsibility for these sub par performances of the last 3 weeks.

I'll say it again, he's not this teams sole problem, but for me he is the most disappointing, after such an electric start to his days as the starter.

jimmy40

Reaction score
CATCH17;2332017 said:
The stats and everything are fine.

But his lack of emotion and enthusiasm trickles down to everyone along with Wade.

His Body language needs to be better. Hes the QB. Not the TE, LG, or any other position.

He has to look more into the game because everyone feeds off of him.

Troy Aikman looked like he was at a funeral half the time, let TO, Ware and Barber show all that emotion. You don't need to be a cheerleader to lead.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
CATCH17;2331820 said:
The offense just needs enthusiasm. They can produce vs anyone and thats proven.

The defense has gotten better and a lot of other teams have flourished under this same system.

Our D only gave up 14 points today vs the Cards @ home.

There isn't a scheme out there that could overcome Romos uninspired, lack of urgency, and lack of enthusiasm football today.

I think they gave up 17 or does that FG not count and defense came out flat in the 2nd half when the offense came out strong. Defense played good for the first half and then was no where to be found after the halftime whistle. We did have a lead in the 2nd half that the defense couldn't hold and couldn't stop them at all.

vta;2332025 said:
Well with that, let's focus on offense for a moment. What can the offense do to make TO get open more? It's up to him to run the routes called for; if a team is going to commit to stopping him, then they should be made to pay, since our other offensive weapons are anything but slouches.

Witten, Barber, both on the ground and through the air; our receivers, outside of TO, don't suck. What more can the offense do to make this a reality?

This then begs the question of who is doing something different, and by his own admission, Tony Romo is. Start moving more, making plays with your feet to give the play more time to develop. Like you did last year and the half year before.

I've said elsewhere, this teams problems are larger than one player, but Romo's play throughout the last three weeks, i.e. some pretty bad throws and an increasing number of fumbles, deserves some scrutiny.

The QB is a lynch-pin. How many went nuts when he took over the reigns and flashed brilliance and attributed much of the glory to him? A lot. Now that he has changed, he's going to have to be given his share of responsibility for this sub par performances of the last 3 weeks.

I'll say it again, he's not this teams sole problem, but for me he is the most disappointing, after such an electric start to his days as the starter.

We could run crossing routes. Put him in motion more so they can't jam him. Run some drags do some pick plays. Even if teams are so focused on not getting beat by the deep ball the the underneath routes have to be there and if they are so focused on TO crossing routes will open up people also. I just find it hard to believe that TO can't get open against any of the bums that are lining up across from him.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2332066 said:
We could run crossing routes. Put him in motion more so they can't jam him. Run some drags do some pick plays. Even if teams are so focused on not getting beat by the deep ball the the underneath routes have to be there and if they are so focused on TO crossing routes will open up people also. I just find it hard to believe that TO can't get open against any of the bums that are lining up across from him.

I found myself thinking the exact thing during the game: how can our receivers not get open?

There is a fundamental problem there, with the guys we have, I do believe our problems are equal in their relevance, coaches, schemes and players themselves.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
vta;2332148 said:
I found myself thinking the exact thing during the game: how can our receivers not get open?

There is a fundamental problem there, with the guys we have, I do believe our problems are equal in their relevance, coaches, schemes and players themselves.

Why is it that, when I read the emboldened portion, I hear Sarah Palin's voice in my head?:)

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
kevin burnett and keith davis were pretty ticked off.

They were complaining about something with the special teams. Saying we are grown men making millions of dollars and Keith davis suggested there needs to be changes because some people can not get it done here.

This team has no leaders and that is one of the problems.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
jimmy40;2332038 said:
Troy Aikman looked like he was at a funeral half the time, let TO, Ware and Barber show all that emotion. You don't need to be a cheerleader to lead.

The thing is when Tony Romo took over this team the entire atmosphere changed because of him.

His uptempo fast paced style trickled down to everyone.

Now he is dazing off and looking way to nonchalant and its making everyone on the team look that way.

You can tell a lot about whats going to happen in a Dallas Cowboys game by Tony Romos body language before the ball is even kicked.

When Tony brings adrenaline and excitement this is an entirely different team.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Screw Steve Young...

I've been saying leadership is a problem for this team for 2 years now and it is. These guys AND coaches walk around like zombies - emotionless.

It's sad when the fans are more fired up than the players and coaches.

Carry on.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2332066 said:
I think they gave up 17 or does that FG not count and defense came out flat in the 2nd half when the offense came out strong. Defense played good for the first half and then was no where to be found after the halftime whistle. We did have a lead in the 2nd half that the defense couldn't hold and couldn't stop them at all.

Excuuuuse me daboys4life.

17 points they gave up.

Giving up 17 points to the Cardinals, especially at Arizona, would seem like a really good thing to me.

If thats not acceptable than the expectations are entirely to high.

Ultra Warrior

6 Million Light-years beyond believability.
Reaction score
Garland powerplay;2331797 said:
Parcells brought this team from what 4-12 ,5-11 to playoffs w/ Quincy Carter at QB. IF nobody saw the impact then well......

The baseball playoffs are on.
The Cowboys were never 4-12 before Parcells got there. Cowboys were 5-11 3 straight years.

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
I think Romo's dilemma is the fact he finds it hard to soar with the eagles when he is playing with the turkeys.

HoosierCowboy

Put Pearson in the HOF
Reaction score
I do not miss Parcells--for every genius move he made, he made a terrible one. It's easier to build a team with high draft picks (many of which he squandered) and low expectations. But I don't think Phillips is the answer, though his record is impressive. I hate that we always judge people against expectation and not reality. We are over hyped and now people are turning on the team because they are not living up to expectations.This team could easily be 5-1 0r 3-3; last year we won the "lucky games" -- this year we have not.

And I don't think we are outcoaching anyone. I like some of our defensive wrinkles yesterday, but the offense is too predictable.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
ChrisCanty99;2331931 said:
Parcells? Please. His teams were just as gutless at the end of the year.
This team, for whatever reason, is still in a funk from the Washington game. They have not been physically dominant since Green Bay.

Romo, in particular, seems to not be having any fun. This team is getting frustrated. Without leadership the frustration will turn to depression and acceptance.

The media and fan base needs to back off and remove all expectations. At this point, I'd be happy with a wild card berth for a team that is improving at the end of the year.

But they were not gutless because of him. This is a more talented and experienced team than just two years ago. Not only should they be firing themselves up but the HC should be kicking their arses as well.

It's a bad mix right now.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Again I can't put this loss on the schemes we run offensively and defensively.

I've watched Dallas enough times to know when they look like they are ready to play and when they aren't.

I told my friend right before the game it was going to be a long day for the Cowboys before the ball was ever snapped because of the Zombie looks on our "leaders" faces.

Romos & Wade have to show more enthusiasm.

I felt thats the one thing we were missing in the Giants playoff loss as well.

We saw Zombie Tony in the playoffs last year. He can still play a great game as a Zombie but the people under him just do not feed off of him as well.

We will go as far as Tony Romo can lead this team and Romo needs a good shot of adversity and get that pep back in his step and all will be well.

Reaction score
Future;2331781 said:
I'm sorry but Romo is very un-leaderish until we are down 10 with three minutes left. He needs to be a leader.

Clowns are not leaders.... He is a clown. Leaders have to win in big games and then they can clown. He has not.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
CATCH17;2331767 said:
Leadership is so desperately needed on this team.

This has been an issue for years. And some of you are noticing just now?

Games like this is when a Bill Parcells foot up the arse is needed.

Coach Parcells was frustrated with the personalities on this team. I am not sure what they could possibly respond to. They have had both soft and hard hammers on them and they continue to react the same way. The players ultimately bear the most responsibility to police themselves and until the "leaders" change (read: those like Greg Ellis leave), nothing will change.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Alexander;2332984 said:
This has been an issue for years. And some of you are noticing just now?

Coach Parcells was frustrated with the personalities on this team. I am not sure what they could possibly respond to. They have had both soft and hard hammers on them and they continue to react the same way. The players ultimately bear the most responsibility to police themselves and until the "leaders" change (read: those like Greg Ellis leave), nothing will change.

It hasn't become an issue until Tony Romo has become complacent.

He is the definition of leading by example.

When hes perky and jumping around this entire team is the same way.

They feed off of Tony Romo's body language whether anyone wants to believe that or not.

StylisticS

Reaction score
Alexander;2332984 said:
The players ultimately bear the most responsibility to police themselves and until the "leaders" change (read: those like Greg Ellis leave), nothing will change.

I'm ready for him to leave now. Has his name been called consistently this season? Just need to do us a favor and dip out of Dallas. Or maybe I'm just frustrated right now players not named Demarcus Ware that cannot get pressure.