Boys First Two Picks In 2013 Draft?

kirkjrk

Reaction score
Well since there is not much to do , football wise, during these dog days of summer, I thought we could speculate as to who the Boys should/would select in the 2013 Draft. Please join in, if you like.

I decided on just doing two picks as that is where most of the starters come from and we have a better chance of at least getting the round correct that the player will be selected. Who knows maybe we will come up with a consensus, someone else can keep a total, on the first two picks and someone can submit it to the FO and tell them this is what the Boys fans demand, maybe not.

I decided to give three to five choices for each pick so as if one had been selected then another player would be available. You can also rank the players 1 thru 5 for each pick, if you like.

A great site to get info on players, if you don't know already, is BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1. Then scroll down to 2013 Draft Prospect Rankings. This will give you every position and the ranking for each player.

Let's get started. I chose to concentrate on positions of need IMO --C/G, NT/DT plus other positions if needed.

Round 1:

C/G/OT--Barrett Jones(1)

This guy sounds like the real deal and is definitely a "RKG". There is nothing wrong or questionable about this guy. IMO if we have to trade up a little to get him it would be well worth it. He could instantly solve one of the Boys long existing problems. My 2013 pet cat--100%.

NT/DT--Star Lotulelei(2T)

NT/DT--Jonathan Hankins(2T)

FS/SS--T.J. McDonald(4T)

S-- Tony Jefferson(4T)

Round 2:

Depending if an offensive or defensive player was selected in Round 1 will determine my selection for Round 2--i.e. if Offense selected in 1st then I would go to Defense in the 2nd, and vice versa if Defense is selected in 1st.

NT/DT--Jonathan Jenkins

NT/DT-- Kawaan Short

NT/DT--Jesse Williams

C--Khaled Holmes

OG--Several--Jonathan Cooper,Travis Frederick,Alvin Bailey,Chance Warmack,Larry Warford

My ideal first two picks would be as follows:

1. Barrett Jones--MUST HAVE

2. Top rated NT/DT still available

That's how I see it. Your thoughts.

Just think once the FO accepts our picks and select them in the draft we will have changed the Boys significantly and most probably finally put them in the SB. We can be proud, don't you think?

jnday

Reaction score
kirkjrk;4609179 said:
Well since there is not much to do , football wise, during these dog days of summer, I thought we could speculate as to who the Boys should/would select in the 2013 Draft. Please join in, if you like.

I decided on just doing two picks as that is where most of the starters come from and we have a better chance of at least getting the round correct that the player will be selected. Who knows maybe we will come up with a consensus, someone else can keep a total, on the first two picks and someone can submit it to the FO and tell them this is what the Boys fans demand, maybe not.

I decided to give three to five choices for each pick so as if one had been selected then another player would be available. You can also rank the players 1 thru 5 for each pick, if you like.

A great site to get info on players, if you don't know already, is BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1. Then scroll down to 2013 Draft Prospect Rankings. This will give you every position and the ranking for each player.

Let's get started. I chose to concentrate on positions of need IMO --C/G, NT/DT plus other positions if needed.

Round 1:

C/G/OT--Barrett Jones(1)

This guy sounds like the real deal and is definitely a "RKG". There is nothing wrong or questionable about this guy. IMO if we have to trade up a little to get him it would be well worth it. He could instantly solve one of the Boys long existing problems. My 2013 pet cat--100%.

NT/DT--Star Lotulelei(2T)

NT/DT--Jonathan Hankins(2T)

FS/SS--T.J. McDonald(4T)

S-- Tony Jefferson(4T)

Round 2:

Depending if an offensive or defensive player was selected in Round 1 will determine my selection for Round 2--i.e. if Offense selected in 1st then I would go to Defense in the 2nd, and vice versa if Defense is selected in 1st.

NT/DT--Jonathan Jenkins

NT/DT-- Kawaan Short

NT/DT--Jesse Williams

C--Khaled Holmes

OG--Several--Jonathan Cooper,Travis Frederick,Alvin Bailey,Chance Warmack,Larry Warford

My ideal first two picks would be as follows:

1. Barrett Jones--MUST HAVE

2. Top rated NT/DT still available

That's how I see it. Your thoughts.

Just think once the FO accepts our picks and select them in the draft we will have changed the Boys significantly and most probably finally put them in the SB. We can be proud, don't you think?
I like your thinking. Dallas won't. No linemen in the first three rounds.

kirkjrk

Reaction score
jnday;4609569 said:
I like your thinking. Dallas won't. No linemen in the first three rounds.
Well, I would say the same thing if this was two years ago. Then along came Tyron Smith. Sooner or later they have to come to their senses about the O line. Unfortunately for the fans it's going to be later, much later.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
Lotulelei would be my dream pick in the 1st but unless we're picking in the top 10 (which I don't see) or trade up into the top 10 we're not gonna have a shot at him. His combination of size, power, upper body strength, and hand usage make him an ideal interior DL prospect. He's close to the prospect Suh was at this point, Suh was a better UT prospect but Lotulelei is the better NT. He's going to anchor someone's defense for the next decade and make a lot of pro bowls.

Here's some film on him if you haven't seen him play yet:

[youtube]uuS1Zk1QlA4[/youtube]

[youtube]En9SY1xxTss[/youtube]

So if we don't trade up for him, there are a trio of very good safeties in McDonald, Reid and Jefferson. My favorite for us is Jefferson because I think he fits that pure centerfielding FS more than the other 2, but I'd be ecstatic with either one. They are all a notch above Mark Barron IMO. We should have a realistic shot at one in the bottom half of round 1.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
For the 2nd/3rd Round I think we can go in a number of different directions, but a pet cat of mine (and I'm assuming Hostile as well) is ASU RB Cameron Marshall. If Felix walks after the season I can see us spending a 2nd day pick at the position, and Marshall is a tough in-between the tackles runner who would be a great compliment to Murray. Also scored a whopping 18 TDs this year running behind an average at best ASU OL, so the kid has a nose for the endzone and doesn't like to be denied. If you were a Marion Barber fan, then you're gonna like what you see with Cameron Marshall.

Cameron+Marshall+Missouri+v+Arizona+State+8eWKM3yGzxjl.jpg

Skip to about 2:52

[youtube]R4zCKyfNW9Y[/youtube]

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would look to go CB and CB in the first two rounds next year.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Romo2Bryant4Six;4610976 said:
Womp womp...

I think the FO goes Saftey in the first and OL in the 2nd

Well I can't take threads like this seriously. Ooh ooh, I go DL here and then LB there.

That is drafting for need.

What the Cowboys should do is be open to the BPA regardless of position.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Barrett Jones has had an interesting path to the Center position.

2009 - RG
2010 - RG
2011 - LT
2012 - OC

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Risen Star;4610991 said:
Well I can't take threads like this seriously. Ooh ooh, I go DL here and then LB there.

I agree with that.

Who knows what positions are even going to be of greatest need come next offseason?

It's easy to say center but you don't know what injuries could do to change things.

Also keeping in mind there are some positions like guard and center that aren't often taken in the first round.

jnday

Reaction score
kirkjrk;4609618 said:
Well, I would say the same thing if this was two years ago. Then along came Tyron Smith. Sooner or later they have to come to their senses about the O line. Unfortunately for the fans it's going to be later, much later.

They should have come to their senses four or five years ago when it comes to the oline. The current quality of players is what you can expect on the oline. It's no need in getting your hopes up. Many fans and coaches don't want to spend the draft picks to improve. Looks like 10 years of failing would change some minds. That is the one argument that they can't win when they defend the long tetm failure in this area. The current system has not and will not work. I really like the reasoning that was used this year. Philly upgrades a stout defensive line by picking Cox. Dallas counters that move with two jag free agents and a bunch of undrafted free agents. The best among the unfrafted FA is one legged with a short career expected.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MichaelWinicki;4611184 said:
I agree with that.

Who knows what positions are even going to be of greatest need come next offseason?

It's easy to say center but you don't know what injuries could do to change things.

Also keeping in mind there are some positions like guard and center that aren't often taken in the first round.

That's why I wanted to make a big splash in FA at OL. I never want my team intent on drafting positions like that.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Risen Star;4611285 said:
That's why I wanted to make a big splash in FA at OL. I never want my team intent on drafting positions like that.

Spending a 1st on a guard or center doesn't excite me.

kirkjrk

Reaction score
Risen Star;4610991 said:

R.S. Isn't that what got us into trouble in the first place, not drafting for need. I probably don't have as much football knowledge as you, but I don't see drafting BPA regardless of position. If a great OLB, Demarcus Wares position, was the BPA then by your definition we draft the great OLB, correct. To me all that does is stack one good player on top of another and leaves a position of need exactly as it was before the draft, a position of need. Possibly the FO in the last few years tried to go BPA instead of position of need. The only problem was they weren't very good in determining the BPA.

My drafting philosophy would be as follows:

1. Never draft BPA regardless of position.

2. Only draft BPA at positions of need

3. If you have three positions of need then first draft the BPA at the position
that has the least number of top line players in the draft.

EX. Positions of need--DL-OL-S

Top line players available--DL 8, OL 2, S 5
My order of draft would be 1-OL, 2-S, 3-DL. Now plans don't always work out but this would be my plan A

Hope you don't take offense to my reply, meant no disrespect.

kirkjrk

Reaction score
Romo2Bryant4Six;4610976 said:
Womp womp...

I think the FO goes Saftey in the first and OL in the 2nd
That well may be the order they select. I could live with it.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
kirkjrk;4611357 said:
R.S. Isn't that what got us into trouble in the first place, not drafting for need. I probably don't have as much football knowledge as you, but I don't see drafting BPA regardless of position. If a great OLB, Demarcus Wares position, was the BPA then by your definition we draft the great OLB, correct. To me all that does is stack one good player on top of another and leaves a position of need exactly as it was before the draft, a position of need. Possibly the FO in the last few years tried to go BPA instead of position of need. The only problem was they weren't very good in determining the BPA.

My drafting philosophy would be as follows:

1. Never draft BPA regardless of position.

2. Only draft BPA at positions of need

3. If you have three positions of need then first draft the BPA at the position
that has the least number of top line players in the draft.

EX. Positions of need--DL-OL-S

Top line players available--DL 8, OL 2, S 5
My order of draft would be 1-OL, 2-S, 3-DL. Now plans don't always work out but this would be my plan A

Hope you don't take offense to my reply, meant no disrespect.

Just as RS has said before and so have I (and thousands of other draft geeks for that matter), many times you don't have a situation where one guy is head & shoulders above everyone else on your draft board. You'll get small groups of guys that share a similar if not the same grade.

In that instance then yeah you would select based on most immediate need.

But in other instances like the Murray pick last year in the 3rd round. At the time there were a lot of moans and groans from the Cowboy faithful about taking another running back as opposed to say an offensive lineman, defensive lineman or safety. I would guess that Murray did represent "head & shoulder" value over anyone else still available and that's why he was chosen.

And in a limited amount of history it looks like the smart pick.

jnday

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;4611320 said:
Spending a 1st on a guard or center doesn't excite me.

I understand your lack of excitement in using a first on interior linemen, I really do. I would rather not use a first either unless the lineman is a great prospect like the Pouncey brothers or DeCastro. Do you have a problem using second and third round picks like many other posters? You know I am a old school trenches fan. Many posters on this board think the positions are not worth anything more than a fourth.
My concern is this, you get what you pay for. Linemen are like any other position, you will get better talent if you use higher picks. I have been told on this board that most any big guy can play the position if he has time to develop and linemen doesn't need any special talent to play the position at a high level. You and I both know this is BS.
One of my biggest concerns is this, the NFCE has some very good defensive front sevens. How can anyone expect a late round draft pick, with limited talent, to compete with JPP or Osi for example? Dallas can have the best skill position players in the NFL and it will not matter without protection.
This approach to building a solid line has not worked for years. How can different results be expected unless a different approach is used? Help me understand the other point of view other than being positive because that is what real fans do.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jnday;4611414 said:
I understand your lack of excitement in using a first on interior linemen, I really do. I would rather not use a first either unless the lineman is a great prospect like the Pouncey brothers or DeCastro. Do you have a problem using second and third round picks like many other posters? You know I am a old school trenches fan. Many posters on this board think the positions are not worth anything more than a fourth.
My concern is this, you get what you pay for. Linemen are like any other position, you will get better talent if you use higher picks. I have been told on this board that most any big guy can play the position if he has time to develop and linemen doesn't need any special talent to play the position at a high level. You and I both know this is BS.
One of my biggest concerns is this, the NFCE has some very good defensive front sevens. How can anyone expect a late round draft pick, with limited talent, to compete with JPP or Osi for example? Dallas can have the best skill position players in the NFL and it will not matter without protection.
This approach to building a solid line has not worked for years. How can different results be expected unless a different approach is used? Help me understand the other point of view other than being positive because that is what real fans do.

Hey if come the first round next year and Dallas is set to pick and the top guy on their board who's available is a center or guard, I'd have no qualms about choosing them.

The challenge is that guards or centers that merit a 1st round ground are fewer than maybe any other position.

And if a center or guard are not the top player on their board who's available, say it's a OLB or DE or NT or Safety or TE or maybe even QB, then I'm taking one of those.

In other words I'm not going to reach (at all) for anyone in the first round.

kirkjrk

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the contribution. Good give and go. Like most everything in life there are two, at least, schools of thought.

I grit my teeth when I speak out about a OL being picked in the first round, but Barrett Jones is the most complete OL I have ever seen/heard of in print. He played guard for 2 years and Left tackle last year where he was selected as All American. Alabama is moving him to Center this year in order to get other good lineman in the game. All American Projections on Walter Football says def. lineman could easily find him the most overwhelming center in the nation next football season. This is even before he plays the Center position.

Yes there have been many OL that were dominant at their one position, but no one I've ever heard of that could be elite at all 5 OL positions as reported, I think, by CBS sports on his profile.

Remember he led the way for two Heisman winners. Not sure if any other OL in College history, unless one of his fellow Alabama lineman, can say that. He may be the only one ever. Also, it appears that he is an elite RKG. This guy sounds almost to perfect to be true.

Just think what Callahan and Garrett could do with someone that could play anywhere on the OL. Would help when others are injured, etc.

Sorry for running on so long, but I really believe in this guy.

jnday

Reaction score
kirkjrk;4611514 said:
Thanks guys for the contribution. Good give and go. Like most everything in life there are two, at least, schools of thought.

I grit my teeth when I speak out about a OL being picked in the first round, but Barrett Jones is the most complete OL I have ever seen/heard of in print. He played guard for 2 years and Left tackle last year where he was selected as All American. Alabama is moving him to Center this year in order to get other good lineman in the game. All American Projections on Walter Football says def. lineman could easily find him the most overwhelming center in the nation next football season. This is even before he plays the Center position.

Yes there have been many OL that were dominant at their one position, but no one I've ever heard of that could be elite at all 5 OL positions as reported, I think, by CBS sports on his profile.

Remember he led the way for two Heisman winners. Not sure if any other OL in College history, unless one of his fellow Alabama lineman, can say that. He may be the only one ever. Also, it appears that he is an elite RKG. This guy sounds almost to perfect to be true.

Just think what Callahan and Garrett could do with someone that could play anywhere on the OL. Would help when others are injured, etc.

Sorry for running on so long, but I really believe in this guy.
I like Jones myself, but picking interior linemen in the first couple of rounds is not going to happen IMO. I think Dallas does not grade these guys as highly as other teams. I disagree with it, but Jerry doesn't value my opinion.