Boys First Two Picks In 2013 Draft?

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Chris in Arizona;4612705 said:
Agreed.

How have you been slacker?

Resting up, keeping busy, changing jobs, quitting smoking and waiting for training camp! lol

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dino;4613971 said:
oh ok so you would not have traded down for DeCastro

and then get our C

boy both of those picks would have been dumb IMO (Bockers - Wagner) give me a break

but what do I know

I know that to win games we need Romo up right

so who makes the pro bowl first DeCastro or Claiborne
I never said I wouldn't have traded down for DeCastro.

Who makes the pro bowl first between Decastro and Claiborne? Who cares the pro bowl is such a joke it doesn't matter.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
big dog cowboy;4613900 said:
Even if people didn't believe those specific players were the Cowboys targets, it's clear they were not going OL with either pick.

That's true... after the two linemen were signed in free agency.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Risen Star;4613890 said:
Pretty naive to take that as a given. Even the writers at the team website didn't believe him when he said that.

What better way to try to justify packaging your first two picks if you tell everyone you were gonna take an ILB nobody wanted had you not made the trade.

The Cowboys had been connected to Brockers for a long time.

If you have better info on who the Cowboys were selecting in the second round... please share.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MichaelWinicki;4614096 said:
The Cowboys had been connected to Brockers for a long time.

If you have better info on who the Cowboys were selecting in the second round... please share.

I wasn't talking about Brockers. I was talking about Wagner. A smart fan immediately smelled that out. And when your own writers on the team website say they don't think he was being exactly honest when he said that, that should speak volumes.

Trenches are both sides of the ball. We need help on both sides. Yes, I would most definitely take Brockers and whoever over another cornerback. Even in the remote chance it was Wagner.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Risen Star;4614121 said:
I wasn't talking about Brockers. I was talking about Wagner. A smart fan immediately smelled that out. And when your own writers on the team website say they don't think he was being exactly honest when he said that, that should speak volumes.

Trenches are both sides of the ball. We need help on both sides. Yes, I would most definitely take Brockers and whoever over another cornerback. Even in the remote chance it was Wagner.

I would say that the chances were better than IF they retained their first and second round picks, and if Brockers was chosen in the first round, that a corner would have been chosed in the second round... and not an offensive lineman.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MichaelWinicki;4614131 said:
I would say that the chances were better than IF they retained their first and second round picks, and if Brockers was chosen in the first round, that a corner would have been chosed in the second round... and not an offensive lineman.

I'd choose that too.

But, as usual, your thinking is flawed. It's not okay to make a bad decision because it saved us from making another bad decision.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Risen Star;4614188 said:
I'd choose that too.

But, as usual, your thinking is flawed. It's not okay to make a bad decision because it saved us from making another bad decision.

You think it was a bad decision.

That thought isn't universal.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MichaelWinicki;4614191 said:
You think it was a bad decision.

That thought isn't universal.

It's not universal but the people who disagree with me also disagreed with me on Newman in the top 5. They are as wrong now as they were then. I find it comical that those people are now trying to tell me why this was the right thing to do.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Risen Star;4614193 said:
It's not universal but the people who disagree with me also disagreed with me on Newman in the top 5. They are as wrong now as they were then. I find it comical that those people are now trying to tell me why this was the right thing to do.

My gosh, you're basing a 2012 Cowboys' decision on what happened in 2003?

SMH.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MichaelWinicki;4614205 said:
My gosh, you're basing a 2012 Cowboys' decision on what happened in 2003?

SMH.

No...I'm basing it on the flawed philosophy that you use high picks to strengthen your CB position while neglecting your trenches. It's as wrong now as it was then. I'm sorry that the not too distant past exposed your theory.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Risen Star;4614212 said:
No...I'm basing it on the flawed philosophy that you use high picks to strengthen your CB position while neglecting your trenches. It's as wrong now as it was then. I'm sorry that the not too distant past exposed your theory.

It comes down to how bad people feel the trenches are. Some feel that they aren't as bad (especially the defense) as opposed to others.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MichaelWinicki;4614260 said:
It comes down to how bad people feel the trenches are. Some feel that they aren't as bad (especially the defense) as opposed to others.

And those people would be wrong.

How else do you want me to say it? You're wrong. You'll sit here a year from now with excuses as to why this failed. Maybe we need a 5th and 6th CB upgrade by that point.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Risen Star;4614337 said:
And those people would be wrong.

How else do you want me to say it? You're wrong. You'll sit here a year from now with excuses as to why this failed. Maybe we need a 5th and 6th CB upgrade by that point.

We'll see how things pan out relatively soon.

Zordon

Reaction score
SDogo;4612357 said:
If Dallas is still looking for a OC at the end of the year it won't come from the draft, it will come in the form of Max Unger.
Does anybody remember what happened to our 2nd round pick that year?

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Zordon;4615836 said:
Does anybody remember what happened to our 2nd round pick that year?

Dallas traded down. #51 for Buffalo's third and fourth (75 and 110)

Zordon

Reaction score
junk;4615839 said:
Dallas traded down. #51 for Buffalo's third and fourth (75 and 110)
Thks junk. Depressing draft looking back at it.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Risen Star;4614193 said:

The difference, IMO, is that Garrett is putting a significant emphasis on the mental-makeup of draft picks. Newman's problem was mental weakness, not lack of talent.

Parcells' had multiple draft picks that didn't have the correct mental-makeup. Jacob Rogers, Barbie Carpenter, T. Newman, etc..

This problem continued into the Wade era with players like Robert Brewster and Jason Williams. Both had ability but not the correct mental-makeup. Brewster was not motivated to play football and Williams had problems learning the system.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;4611450 said:
Hey if come the first round next year and Dallas is set to pick and the top guy on their board who's available is a center or guard, I'd have no qualms about choosing them.

The challenge is that guards or centers that merit a 1st round ground are fewer than maybe any other position.

And if a center or guard are not the top player on their board who's available, say it's a OLB or DE or NT or Safety or TE or maybe even QB, then I'm taking one of those.

In other words I'm not going to reach (at all) for anyone in the first round.

Dallas was prepared to take Brockers over Decastro this year so I doub't they'll be taking interior OL high in the draft. If we're picking late 20's or 30's then yeah go for it.