News: BR: Cowboys Rumors: Dalton Schultz 'More Likely' to Get Franchise Tag over Randy Gregory

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Well Jerry took a chance on Gregory all those years ago. And Gregory has done nothing but let the team down over and over. He played good last year in a contract year. Go figure
go figure that this was the first time he didnt have to worry about failing a drug test for put either. Coincidence? i think not. Gregory has never been a negative in the locker room, ever.

Hopefully gregory gives the etama good deal and we can keep him. He is clearly a positive and part of the reason the defense was turning the ball over. To deny that is just denying facts.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Hopefully, if we do we'll also draft a tight end fairly early since we'd either have to tag Schultz again or give him a long-term deal next year. We're not really in position to move on this year unless we want to pay for a starter in free agency (which we know the Joneses don't) or we want to count on a rookie starting (which we don't unless we spend a first-rounder on the position, which we shouldn't).

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
25th in the league was at ..59 sacks per game. Gregory was at .50. per game.
25th would be better, but he's not at 25th, and 25th is still a pretty long way down the list. For his career he is at 0.33 sacks per game.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
go figure that this was the first time he didnt have to worry about failing a drug test for put either. Coincidence? i think not. Gregory has never been a negative in the locker room, ever.

Hopefully gregory gives the etama good deal and we can keep him. He is clearly a positive and part of the reason the defense was turning the ball over. To deny that is just denying facts.
Of course we would like to keep him, but the topic is using the franchise tag. I don't think he has proven worthy of that. Maybe the non-exclusive tag, but if we are using a tag at all I would rather use it on Schultz.

links18

Reaction score
Lol franchise player. Hope u don’t think that’s how the tag gets used most often

Haha, no, it's used to give a player a big salary so they don't have to pay a huge salary. Still, the player should be worth what he gets paid under it. You tell me if Sgt. Schultz fits the bill?

Reactions: CWR

conner01

Reaction score
The take away isnt whether either of them will be Tagged or 'worth' it's that Gregory isnt going to be paid the TAG nor $18m in 2022 and that's part of the attraction.

If Schultz is tagged it's another travesty of the FO not being able to evaluate players utside of their roster
This offense needs a solid TE
So if they left Schultz walk then they better have a plan
Same with cooper, Dlaw and Gregory
I get the costs issues but the key to being able to move on from guys when they get too expensive is planning ahead
They somewhat did when Lamb fell in their lap and same with Micah allowing you to move on from jaylon and LVE
But we don’t have a guy waiting at DE and TE is questionable. I know they like McKeon but we really have seen enough to know anything about him and he hasn’t got the reps to really be ready
I have no problem moving on when you have a plan

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
This offense needs a solid TE
So if they left Schultz walk then they better have a plan
Same with cooper, Dlaw and Gregory
I get the costs issues but the key to being able to move on from guys when they get too expensive is planning ahead
They somewhat did when Lamb fell in their lap and same with Micah allowing you to move on from jaylon and LVE
But we don’t have a guy waiting at DE and TE is questionable. I know they like McKeon but we really have seen enough to know anything about him and he hasn’t got the reps to really be ready
I have no problem moving on when you have a plan
We haven't had a 'solid' TE for years especially a multifaceted one. If there's one thing KM can do is scheme something that devises space for his 3/4th receivers.
The plan was to play Jarwin, sometimes injuries happen, and sometimes that creates chances. Indeed, who would of said 2 years ago that some fans would even entertain bringing Schultz back, let alone for $10m.

Loso86

Reaction score
4th in the NFL among TE's in TD's last year, and 6th in yardage. That aint bad. The tag is only a 1 year commitment, so we could draft or sign a blocking TE as a compliment, and the position would be in good shape for 2022, then decide if he is worth talking to about a longer term deal in a year.
With all that we have to try and keep and upgrade TE would be my last to full. There are good TEs in the draft that can do what he did. 3 blah years and then 1 year where he was pretty good doesn't warrant 10 plus mil. When we will probably need to keep 13, 1, 94, 27 etc. He is just a passing TE. If he was all around I get it

conner01

Reaction score
We haven't had a 'solid' TE for years especially a multifaceted one. If there's one thing KM can do is scheme something that devises space for his 3/4th receivers.
The plan was to play Jarwin, sometimes injuries happen, and sometimes that creates chances. Indeed, who would of said 2 years ago that some fans would even entertain bringing Schultz back, let alone for $10m.
Schultz is a solid TE

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Haha, no, it's used to give a player a big salary so they don't have to pay a huge salary. Still, the player should be worth what he gets paid under it. You tell me if Sgt. Schultz fits the bill?
Schultz was 3rd in the nfl among TEs in receptions, had 1 less rec td then the leading TE, was 4th or 5th in yards by a TE.

links18

Reaction score
Schultz was 3rd in the nfl among TEs in receptions, had 1 less rec td then the leading TE, was 4th or 5th in yards by a TE.

So, is he worth the franchise tag if those are his receiving stats, but his blocking is subpar at best?

Chuck 54

Reaction score
- which suggests to me that the fear threat of these WRs and this 1st half offense system works well to set up what Schultz does best (sit -settle in soft zone spots) and hides/limits what he
he doesn't do well (separate from tight coverage, deep seam middle)

- Opposing teams were willing to risk and surrender underneath soft zone coverages vs WRs flying free through their deep patrol secondary.
The defense would much rather risk a blown coverage for the underneath TE, ..vs blown coverage further downfield by the WRs.

- To Schultz's credit, he is easily among the toughest, most durable player we have on the team period.
He's there every game, takes a wicked licking but still keeps on ticking, We could never say those things about Jarwin
Still Schultz is limited, both as a receiver and a blocker. and opposing teams seeing more film will counter scheme vs his zone spots/roll out catches next year.

- With this supposedly being a good year for TE class in the NFL draft, i think i would have sought my long term TE there instead of being committed to a limited TE
Jason Witten was never a deep threat, and he certainly didn’t run away from coverage. Most TEs don’t. Kelce, Kittle, they are not deep threats either. Waller is a deep threat, but that’s not what you get from most real TEs who play in-line. The thing that shocked me most this year about Schultz was his YAC. He was hard to bring down and showed some slipperiness.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With all that we have to try and keep and upgrade TE would be my last to full. There are good TEs in the draft that can do what he did. 3 blah years and then 1 year where he was pretty good doesn't warrant 10 plus mil. When we will probably need to keep 13, 1, 94, 27 etc. He is just a passing TE. If he was all around I get it
First, you cannot be certain what someone in the draft will do. Look at OJ Howard, Irv Smith, Hayden Hurst, Gerald Everett and others. And these were all 1st and 2nd rounders.

Second, if you have your primary TE covered going into the draft, you don't have to use a high draft pick on one, and can instead use those slots for other needs (O-Liine, D-line etc). At most maybe a lower round blocking TE, but that could also be a lower cost free agent acquisition

Third, This wasn't Schultz's 1st good year, it was his second. Since getting his chance to start after Jarwin got hurt early in 2020 Schultz has done nothing but improve as a receiver.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
So, is he worth the franchise tag if those are his receiving stats, but his blocking is subpar at best?
I dont know the exact situation the Cowboys are in . Nor do I know exactly who they think is walking and who they are reasonable sure they can sign.
I do not know what they think is going to happen with Jarwin. ALL of those thing play into whether you think someone is worth using the tag on.

Im assuming nobody knows all of that except a few people in the Cowboys organization.

CWR

Reaction score

He don't.

CWR

Reaction score
Jason Witten was never a deep threat, and he certainly didn’t run away from coverage. Most TEs don’t. Kelce, Kittle, they are not deep threats either. Waller is a deep threat, but that’s not what you get from most real TEs who play in-line. The thing that shocked me most this year about Schultz was his YAC. He was hard to bring down and showed some slipperiness.

Most "real TEs" block also. If he doesn't have the tools of the elite, then he damn well better block.

He was funneled the ball most the year. We can find similar production much cheaper if we are going to insist on funneling the ball to the TE. It must be nice to be on an offense where you are about the 3rd or 4th concern for d coordinators. That won't hold up as well with Coop gone and last seasons film. Let's also hope Dak will either throw the ball down the damn field or we get the run game going. He's not gonna be the one to support running the ball.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
10 mil a year is prolly what shultz could get contract wise. Gregory 13-16 per. So he's gone for sure