News: BR: Cowboys Rumors: Dalton Schultz 'More Likely' to Get Franchise Tag over Randy Gregory

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Even if you resign Gallup and let Schultz and Coop walk, you risk Dak only having ONE of his 4 starting targets at least the first few games. It's why I can see them tagging Schultz. No way in hell they franchise Gregory, transitional tag maybe but even that's high.

quickccc

Reaction score
Tagging Schultz suggests to me that this is a " Panic " Cowboys organization.

- Dalton is a system TE, he's limited as a receiver and blocking TE.
He does his work off sitting in zones, and roll out bootlegs - he doesn't have the separation skills to out beat coverge LBs and safeties.
That doesn't spell franchising a TE like that.

- This kind of move reminds me of Anthony Spencer, ...Taco Charlton,.. and Sammy Watkins or WR by committee moves.

- It tells me that they don't feel confident that they think they could immediately replace Schultz per FA, trade or NFL draft adn they are now
heavily depended upon the limited TE.

Sad times ....:oops:

....and i forgotten to mentioned the Tyrone Crawford saga as well... the Cowboys foolishly donated 8 and 9 mill dollars to him in consecutive years .. for a guy that was merely a rotation type.
That was a combined 17 million dollars wasted that could have been rolled into the previous cap structure, .. but they loved him as a locker room presence !
..LOL :muttley:

Reactions: CWR

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Schultz is closer to being worth 10 than Randy is 18
That's not the justification to Tag either of them. Schultz is a Cowboys panic move and the reason we need Gregory is that we're set on freeing up D/Law's $19m and cant afford to look for 2 Edges.....Gregory comes cheaper and bonus spread.

StarLord

Reaction score
Stupid.. this FO man. Schultz is just a guy. He's not particularly good at anything.. well other than being Dak's blankie. And let Gregory walk. He doesn't positively affect this defense, the way DLaw does (and I think Dlaw has not been great, but the D's numbers with him on and off the field suggest that he's vital out there.). Further, I'm tired of stupid.. Stupid players making Stupid decisions. I honestly saw enough of Gregory after our playoff game.

quickccc

Reaction score
Even if you resign Gallup and let Schultz and Coop walk, you risk Dak only having ONE of his 4 starting targets at least the first few games. It's why I can see them tagging Schultz. No way in hell they franchise Gregory, transitional tag maybe but even that's high.

i don't ...

i see it as more sheer panic ...much like they did with the WR by committee, Tyrone Crawford ,..Sammie Watkins ... Taco Charlton ... Anthony Spencer .. etc.

If Scultz were with the rams or PAts, he'd be allowed to walk as a FA,

You don't tag " limited " players and guys opposing teams do not have to scheme against.
It's not that he is that difference making ,,, it's that the Cowboys feel they cannot replace him and Dak is too dependent upon him as a underneath security blanket.

If this were any true self confident organization,. they'd go get their replacement and more than one TE option via Fa, or draft .. but either they don't like the vet option in FA, think they will be
way out of their price - - as compared to what they will have to pay this year for Franchise tagged TE

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
If fans made the decision on who we should pay and how much we would be 0-17 every year. U have to pay top of the market to get or keep anyone that’s top 10 at their position. I think it’s because fans get emotional when they hear how much money it is.

You may not like Schultz as a blocker but he is a top 10 TE and what’s your plan to replace the production? TE as a security blanket is critical to Dak. You want to bring witten out of retirement? You can’t just dial 1-800-TOP10-TIGHTEND.
I think they will tag Shultz and sign Gregory and that is what I hope they do Shultz gets better every year

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
10M is better than 20M for a laughing mistake. Schultz is the 4th WR, not the TE, he can't block any better than the WR's. And the QB needs his blankie when he's afraid to go after the NFL open WR's down the field.
CC, when were those WRs open, and how was the pass protection for Dak by the time those WRs were supposedly open?

Sydla

Reaction score
Schultz is a nice TE. But he's overrated by many here. The franchise tag for a TE is over $10 million.

Schultz ain't that type.

John813

Reaction score
I don’t get it. Even if it’s temporary where thru try to work out a long term deal. I like Schultz but the guy is above average overall. He’s no prime Witten or a dynamic modern age TE

Chuck 54

Reaction score
The article said nothing about Schultz being tagged, only that he’s more likely to be tagged than Gregory.
Schultz has quietly become one of the best and most reliable TEs outside of the big money guys like Kelce, Kittle, and Waller. He is a very valuable part of the Dallas offense. Even if they tag him, I would guess they will have him signed to an extension before the season after the air clears and all other cap situations are settled.

I don’t understand the silliness s9me fans express about players getting market money. First you want to cut Cooper to save some money. Now you want to cut Shultz rather than use some of that money to keep him.

Shultz is arguably the most reliable receiver on the team and without Cooper, the only proven Redzone threat. If Schultz walks and Cooper is cut, are we depending on Ceedee to be a #1, Gallup to be #2, McKeon to be our starting TE, or we draft WR and TE early when we need interior OL/DL.

Cooper is done. Maybe DLaw is done. For me, that’s enough damage.