News: BR: Cowboys Rumors: NFL Exec Says Cam Erving 'A Liability' Replacing La'el Collins

fivetwos

Reaction score
Starting to get Alex Barron flashbacks!
:omg:
I watched the game I mentioned in the other thread specifically to see Erving.

While I'm no scout, I also witnessed Barron and Green in my day....as well as Rob Pettitti and other turnstiles like Mackenzy Bernadeau and Nate Livings on the inside.

Erving isnt that. At least he wasnt in that game.

He is far from ideal, and Collins needs to get his behind in the lineup in week 4, and we need to say prayers for Tyron....

I'm comfortable with Erving as a backup. If we need to roll w him all year, not so much.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
If he had no strengths he wouldn't have been on a team, much less have started 8 games last year and 13 games the year before. Hell, he wouldn't have been a 1st round draft pick to begin with.

I'm giving you all the information I can.

He isn't good at pass blocking, he isn't good at run blocking, and he racks up penalties.

What the hell is he good at then? Please provide us proof of what he is good at.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm giving you all the information I can.

He isn't good at pass blocking, he isn't good at run blocking, and he racks up penalties.

What the hell is he good at then? Please provide us proof of what he is good at.
Being good enough to be drafted first and to start 42 games in the NFL is all the proof needed to show he has strengths. If he had no skills at all he would not have accomplished that.

I agree completely that he isn't a strong player as a starter - that his skill set does not make him a good candidate to be a starter a team would be comfortable with. But he wasn't signed to be a starter, and obviously most players that aren't starting don't have standout traits. We would all love to have stellar players backing up every position, but that isn't realistic.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Being good enough to be drafted first and to start 42 games in the NFL is all the proof needed to show he has strengths. If he had no skills at all he would not have accomplished that.

I agree completely that he isn't a strong player as a starter - that his skill set does not make him a good candidate to be a starter a team would be comfortable with. But he wasn't signed to be a starter, and obviously most players that aren't starting don't have standout traits. We would all love to have stellar players backing up every position, but that isn't realistic.

1. He was drafted 5 years ago lol. Just like him playing for a super bowl team, his dtaft pedigree also has no value either. Unless you're comfortable with Taco being our primary DE off the bench.

2. No his 42 starts don't display any strengths if he didn't display any strengths when he did start. Draft pedigree and injury is what prompted those starts.

That's great you agree now, and that wasn't my intent. I'm just glad I was able to let you know why it was such an odd signing. There were plenty of other options that signed for similar deals, with better on field products up to this point. That contract also making it nearly impossible to bring in other competition made it even more puzzling.

Hopefully he only starts those three games, but if history is any indicator that won't be the case.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1. He was drafted 5 years ago lol. Just like him playing for a super bowl team, his dtaft pedigree also has no value either. Unless you're comfortable with Taco being our primary DE off the bench.

2. No his 42 starts don't display any strengths if he didn't display any strengths when he did start. Draft pedigree and injury is what prompted those starts.

That's great you agree now, and that wasn't my intent. I'm just glad I was able to let you know why it was such an odd signing. There were plenty of other options that signed for similar deals, with better on field products up to this point. That contract also making it nearly impossible to bring in other competition made it even more puzzling.

Hopefully he only starts those three games, but if history is any indicator that won't be the case.
I didn't say he could ride on his draft pedigree, I just said it indicates a level of skill that got him that pedigree. That doesn't mean he lived up to the promise of the skill level, but that, and the fact he has started 42 NFL games proves there is at least enough talent to have a place in the NFL.

It's ridiculous to suggest that NFL teams would have given him 42 starts if they didn't see some level of skill that they felt merited it. Do you really see an NFL team saying "he sucks and has no talent, but by gum I'm going to play him anyway!".

As for agreeing with you, that's a false comment because I never disagreed that he wasn't a strong starting player. I have said all along he was signed as a backup, and that is the context in which I felt the signing wasn't so odd.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
We needed to sign a realible swing T, because our two starting OTs aren't reliably on the field, and we went out and only signed one who has only put out negative tape over five seasons. That, with the contract that makes it where you can't sign an actual competent OT, makes it a puzzling signing.

No it absolutely does not, if that player was the main catalyst for their few losses on the season lol. That's just silly. And you keep saying starter, just so you know he was not the starter for the chiefs. He only spot started, and that went horribly.

Hope this helps!
Who were you targeting and for how much of a cap hit?

Aven8

Reaction score
Mike and Philbin held together Olines with bubblegum a lot of the time and still won folks.

This isn’t your JG Cowboys anymore.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Who were you targeting and for how much of a cap hit?
Sure!

Demar Dotson and Kelvin Beachum would have been perfect. They averaged half the contract we gave out to Erving. Roderick Johnson would have been a good buy low at youth, but he resigned with the Texans, so it typically takes more money to get players to move teams, so can't be sure if he would have signed for $1.75M with us.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I didn't say he could ride on his draft pedigree, I just said it indicates a level of skill that got him that pedigree. That doesn't mean he lived up to the promise of the skill level, but that, and the fact he has started 42 NFL games proves there is at least enough talent to have a place in the NFL.

It's ridiculous to suggest that NFL teams would have given him 42 starts if they didn't see some level of skill that they felt merited it. Do you really see an NFL team saying "he sucks and has no talent, but by gum I'm going to play him anyway!".

As for agreeing with you, that's a false comment because I never disagreed that he wasn't a strong starting player. I have said all along he was signed as a backup, and that is the context in which I felt the signing wasn't so odd.

Erving was the most puzzling free agent signing, and we had a few of those this offseason.

aria

Reaction score
Maybe that's why Mahomes was throwing on the run so much....which Dak often seems to do better too, so maybe it works out.
Or maybe he’s skittish and/or not a pocket passer. KC had a very good pass blocking line but their run blocking suckled hind teet. Normally if a player is having that much of an effect on the QB they would either give him help or find someone else. I believe Erving started 8 games, including the SB so I would be hesitant to think he was the lone cause for Mahomes running around.

Even if he sucks, Dak will be a lot better off than Mahomes because at least he’l see the pressure coming whereas Erving was protecting Mahomes blindside.

Creeper

Reaction score
If is was an exec from KC, I would be worried. Otherwise its just another useless opinion.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Does any team not have a liability when putting in their backup OT? Thats when coaching is supposed to come into play. Not necessarily the coaching of that backup player. Things like play calling and personnel grouping come into play. Garrett wouldn't change anything in that situation. He would just leave the player on an island and let him give up 6 sacks and ruin the game. A good coach would run more plays away from that side and put a TE or another OL out there at TE to help.
Let’s pray he’s better than Chaz Green

Beaker42

Reaction score
Starting to get Alex Barron flashbacks!
:omg:
ONLY time I’ve ever been more pissed at a Cowboy than I was at Barron after that play (and then he laughed about it with the ‘skins players leaving the field) was when Jackie Smith lost us the SB.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ONLY time I’ve ever been more pissed at a Cowboy than I was at Barron after that play (and then he laughed about it with the ‘skins players leaving the field) was when Jackie Smith lost us the SB.
I got over the quick flash of anger at Jackie Smith. I quickly realized he wanted desperately to catch that pass, so the anger at him quickly turned to frustration. If you listened to Smith's HOF speech it seemed that play has haunted him since,

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Cowboys Rumors: NFL Exec Says Cam Erving 'A Liability' Replacing La'el Collins

Cowboys offensive tackle La'el Collins landed on injured reserve with a hip injury, creating further problems for the already-strained Cowboys...

Read Full Story

Clowns like to dismiss PFF, but it generally correlates, and Erving has never scored above 50 in his career. Abysmal. Erving seems like a liabiity replacing *anyone*.

Knight was fine at RT last year. Should only be better this year. If he's healthy, I would be much happier to roll with him. I have more confidence in him, and we get more return from playing him and developing him into the future.

I don't like this call. Didn't like not giving McGovern a chance at C either. Or never having Williams train for T. Reminds me of Marinelli playing everyone on the dline out of position.

We're not making sense on using what we've got on the oline.

And it's horrifying to see Crawford listed as the starting RDE when we seem stocked with true DEs. How can he get the call over Griffen?

Signs of the coaching staff using players poorly. No likey.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
you mean replacing a pro bowl caliber tackle with a crappy swing tackle is a liability?
Poor title. Of course the backup is worse than the starter.

I think the point is that Erving is simply a liability as a backup RT period.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I am pretty sure he is going to get replaced mid game,he is truly awful.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
We'll know Sunday night how much of a liability he is. I'm not concerned, I don't buy the rumor.

Surely he can't be as bad as allowing 6 sacks like the game against Atlanta. The dumb coaching staff never made adjustments in the entire game. I'm sure he will play just fine.