News: BR: Ezekiel Elliott Reportedly Has 'Very Good Chance' of Playing Week 1 Amid Appeal

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know you said this in " humor" but the reality is that the NFL has potentially opened the flood gates for just that, or claims of rape...

The NFLPA needs to get their act together regarding how the justice system integrates with the NFL punishment protocol or we may see more of this stuff go on.

Think of this some big league bettor pays someone to lodge false claims just to influence the outcome of games by affecting star players ability to compete.

The league is definitely establishing an awful precedent here, and effectively putting targets in each and every one of the players. And more players and the union as a whole need to realize that. They've got to draw a line in the sand here or Elliott will simply be the first of a long list of players being extorted and accused of wrongdoing but money-grubbing opportunists.

After all, with no legal requirement of proof, and no ramifications for lying, it's essentially an opportunity for free money with no risk.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
It doesn't need work that way. Henderson isn't going to offer a "deal". He's going to make a ruling based on information he has.

That was the question that was asked, however. And it could happen. They've made offers before, many were accepted. If reports are to be believed, Brady had an offer of reduction as well.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That was the question that was asked, however. And it could happen. They've made offers before, many were accepted. If reports are to be believed, Brady had an offer of reduction as well.

So, baseless rumors and speculation then?
:huh:
Got it.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
So, baseless rumors and speculation then?
Got it.

It's not rumor or speculation. It's known that players have negotiated lower suspensions.

The original question here was a hypothetical similar to known occurrences.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
The only way I could see Zeke doing so would be if the NFL removed the finding he is a domestic abuser, state that the next "negative law enforcement" involvement will not risk a lifetime ban, and that he is only getting 1 game for pulling down her shirt as that is conduct unbecoming (and state clearly it is not domestic violence as the decision stated).

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It's not rumor or speculation. It's known that players have negotiated lower suspensions.

The original question here was a hypothetical similar to known occurrences.

Where's the support for your claims?

MrPhil

Reaction score
He was picked 1 pick ahead of me I had pick 24 he went at 23. I almost lost my mind. Would have had DJ and Zeke

I also have DJ and am trying to swing a trade to get Zeke who went at #31 in my league.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
The league is definitely establishing an awful precedent here, and effectively putting targets in each and every one of the players. And more players and the union as a whole need to realize that. They've got to draw a line in the sand here or Elliott will simply be the first of a long list of players being extorted and accused of wrongdoing but money-grubbing opportunists.

After all, with no legal requirement of proof, and no ramifications for lying, it's essentially an opportunity for free money with no risk.

And of course the brief media frenzy giving the accuser their 15 minutes of fame....

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
That is so dirty and insidious......especially if the original poster of this comment is underage.
Stop! Original post was with malicious false accusations , intent solely on blah,blah,blah,,, Sheese!
o_O

VirusX

Reaction score
Honestly. I would sue the league regardless. They took it upon themselves to decide guilt with no proof of those events. They took their own biased stance and unleashed it in the "court" of public opinion. They did irreparable damage by being careless and they should pay for it. I would then donate all profit to domestic violence charities.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
The only way I could see Zeke doing so would be if the NFL removed the finding he is a domestic abuser, state that the next "negative law enforcement" involvement will not risk a lifetime ban, and that he is only getting 1 game for pulling down her shirt as that is conduct unbecoming (and state clearly it is not domestic violence as the decision stated).
Which is what it should have been in the first place.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is irrelevant. The question wasn't whether or not it was likely.

And you don't think the difference between a scheduling issue for a test and charging someone with domestic violence would affect that "likelihood"?

I sure do.

plasticman

Reaction score
Apparently, one of the things Zeke's legal team feels strongly about is the wording of the NFL's memo about the NFLPA's statements:

“Over the past few days we’ve received multiple reports of the NFLPA spreading derogatory information to the media about the victim in Ezekiel Elliott discipline case, It’s a common tactic to attempt to prove the innocence of the accused by discrediting the victim — in this case Ms. Thompson — when coming forward to report such abuse.”

Oops!

Thompson is only a victim if Zeke was convicted. The fact that the word, "alleged" isn't used makes this statement slander. It is believed that, if the entire suspension isn't dropped, Zeke and the NFLPA will seek, and get, an injunction stopping the suspension for now.

Zeke's team is also considering the "nuclear option", they will attempt to prove that Goodell had a vested interest in the suspension of Zeke and, therefore, cannot be an unbiased party to the process. This opens the door for a complete renunciation of all suspensions and punishments handed down by the commissioner.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...nst-nfl/ar-AAqYWCl?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

This is what said nuclear option would look like should the NFL not reverse Elliott’s suspension on appeal:

* NFLPA will seek an immediate injunction to overturn the suspension. Said injunction will be heard by the United States District Court in Southern New York. It’s the same court that did indeed grant Brady an immediate injunction before a higher court reinstated his four-game ban.

* Once that’s happens, and assuming the court in Southern New York grants an immediate injunction (it will), the NFL will sue in the United States Court of Appeals, claiming that it’s judicial overreach for the courts to get involved in the league’s collective bargaining issues.

This is when the NFLPA, Kessler and Elliott will go all-out nuclear.

There are 13 district courts in the United States, all of which ultimately answer to SCOTUS. Though, the NFLPA could very well appeal the Court of Appeals decision with the New York Supreme Court. It’s a court that has in the past sided with unions over corporations. An activist court, one might say.

The idea behind this would be to pave the way for the case being heard in the United States Supreme Court. This seems to be the union’s ultimate end goal.

And in reality, the Elliott case is only being used as a guise to challenge Roger Goodell’s overreaching powers in cases of arbitration.

As we mentioned before, at least one State Supreme Court has sided against Goodell when it comes to his current power.

In siding with team employees over the NFL, the Missouri Supreme Court pretty much threw out Goodell’s power of arbitration back in 2015.

The guise here was that Goodell himself had too much financial influence to be seen as an independent body, one that overreaches his role as commissioner.

In short, the ruling claimed that there were inconsistencies within the NFL’s constitution and bylaws.

“Section 8.3 gives the commissioner complete control and final jurisdiction to arbitrate any dispute between any player, coach or other employee of the league,” the ruling read. “Commissioner shall have no financial interest, direct or indirect, in any professional sport.”

With a salary of $44-plus million, the NFLPA will argue that Goodell’s financial influence in the league sways his decisions under the collective bargaining agreement signed by both sides back in 2011. It’s an argument Kessler used in at least catching the court’s eyes during the Brady case.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

It may not be exaggeration, it could be true, Goodell's days could be numbered. in fact, it's very possible that his new five year contract is being delayed pending the outcome of this hearing. That is speculation on my part but if you were an owner, would you want that contract if you might have to pay hundreds of millions in liability?

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
I had the exact same scenario. Picked DJ first overall, then Zeke was taken right before my second pick.

So I have a draft with a bunch of non-Cowboys fans next Tuesday evening. There's talk that Henderson will need to reach his decision by Tuesday in order for Zeke to be suspended for that first game. So I'm kind of hoping that Henderson's decision comes on Tuesday (at 6 games) and then Zeke gets the injunction to play on Wednesday. If that happens, I might be able to get him in the 3rd round and have him for the entire season.