News: BR: Patrick Surtain II Says He Hasn't Talked to Cowboys Ahead of 2021 NFL Draft

CWR

Reaction score
Still typical dumb cowboy front office decision moving up to draft a player they had not personally worked out or met. The good teams don't do that.

It was a knee jersey reaction to a scenario they didn't have the foresight to plan for.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Shouldn't he have had the common sense to make coaches aware, and take the initiative to learn? We can agree to disagree, but a smart player forces the issue because he recognizes its paramount to his success. Sorry, I cant understand it. Right or wrong it made him, AND his coaches look stupid.

Maybe. But sometimes as a athlete when you are the best player on the field and have been for most of your life.....you just think you can rely on skill. But just like Dez sometimes injuries and stuff pop up. Nobody is going to be here to hold your hand though unfortunately.

Reactions: CWR

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Still typical dumb cowboy front office decision moving up to draft a player they had not personally worked out or met. The good teams don't do that.

I mean I don't think that's that uncommon in the NFL. Teams interview guys and they still bust for them. Most teams don't interview guys that they have no chance of getting. I could be wrong but I don't think the Cowboys interviewed Lamb either.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great. Here comes our Crazy Ivan Draft.

We are not talking to alternative top players. How many times have teams choose to trade up to get in front of us to scoop up our price choice. Dozen. Never forget the 9ers trading up ahead of us to Draft Jerry Rice. That was a really bad draft. And not drafting Randy Moss becuz Irvine was in legal problems. We have been really prehistoric at times.
You just went back 36 years and 23 years to make this case. Different eras, coaches, management ... Not that I necessarily assume better now, but are we even sure the Cowboys would have taken Rice in 1985? 2 other WRs were taken before him, so he was not considered the HOF kind of talent that we know him as now.

As for the Crazy Ivan draft …. I don't think the year we passed on Moss qualifies. It wasn't a great overall draft, but we did get Greg Ellis and Flozell Adams, who were both strong players for many years.

I also don't think the fact they haven't talked to Surtain means anything. There is still almost a month before the draft in which to talk to him, but even if they don't, I've many times heard players say they were surprised at the team that drafted them because they didn't talk before the draft.

CWR

Reaction score
Maybe. But sometimes as a athlete when you are the best player on the field and have been for most of your life.....you just think you can rely on skill. But just like Dez sometimes injuries and stuff pop up. Nobody is going to be here to hold your hand though unfortunately.

Absolutely. That's why the best players aren't often the best coaches. You can't coach others to have your God given raw talent. A better coaching staff would have realized our investment and made certain he knew what he was doing. I was disgusted when I learned he spent 5 years in Dallas and they couldn't even teach him how to study film.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
I don't recall intellect being a issue for Mo is what I'm saying. Seemed like he got more hindered by injuries if anything.

Believe his Wonderlic score matched is 40 time, Claiborne's score is the lowest known result 4 out of 50 by a draft prospect since Iowa State running back Darren Davis reportedly received a 4 in 2000.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Believe his Wonderlic score matched is 40 time, Claiborne's score is the lowest known result 4 out of 50 by a draft prospect since Iowa State running back Darren Davis reportedly received a 4 in 2000.
He also said he didn't take the test serious.....

John813

Reaction score
We need a RT.

they are paying Brown 5 million to be a starter.

It's 2021, 5mil for a corner back is no longer top starting nickel pay, let alone outside corner, which almost gets paid double what nickel corners do for top talent.
Otherwords, saying Brown is getting paid 5mil to start doesn't mean he is getting paid to where he is valued as a starting corner. Maybe in Stephens honest world it does, but in reality Brown is a depth corner who can start here and there with mixed results.

We have La'el Collins, who the team just restructured. He's our 2021 RT till further notice.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

Honestly, I'd be OK with Tyson Campbell out of Georgia. I love that kid. He's a baller, he's gonna be a player in the NFL IMO. He fits our scheme perfectly and he'll go lower in the draft. I would be excited if we took that kid lower and spent 10 on an impact LT or traded down for more picks.