News: BR: Patrick Surtain II Says He Hasn't Talked to Cowboys Ahead of 2021 NFL Draft

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
You just went back 36 years and 23 years to make this case. Different eras, coaches, management ... Not that I necessarily assume better now, but are we even sure the Cowboys would have taken Rice in 1985? 2 other WRs were taken before him, so he was not considered the HOF kind of talent that we know him as now.

As for the Crazy Ivan draft …. I don't think the year we passed on Moss qualifies. It wasn't a great overall draft, but we did get Greg Ellis and Flozell Adams, who were both strong players for many years.

I also don't think the fact they haven't talked to Surtain means anything. There is still almost a month before the draft in which to talk to him, but even if they don't, I've many times heard players say they were surprised at the team that drafted them because they didn't talk before the draft.
Whatever on t the not talking to any possible draftees. I would think you would interview every one of them in case. This is where I do not understand a guy like McCarthy who supposedly is so analytic according to him. You can not analyze without all the info available. McCarthy is sort of a misdirection guy so people do not figure him out. But he has been in the NFL going on 2 decades. I think the other teams do have him flgured out. It's why he crept Moore as he was less predictable and McCarthy wanted to see if Moore could handle OC which took McCarthy off the hook calling plays. That was the biggest area. McCarthy failed at in ?
Z GB. So I understand now what and why McCarthy is struggling with.

quickccc

Reaction score
Supposedly that a McCarthy trait. I know a former packer scout and he said that guys that McCarthy really wanted they’d never go visit or interview. It’s his m.o. so who haven’t McCarthy gone to see or speak with? Ceedee lamb was our first one last year. Now Surtain ? Who else haven’t they met or spoke with

The Cowboys supposedly never interviewed Connor McGovern on a exclusively one on one basis before the draft.

only met him at the NFL combine and that was before McCarthy

Bowdown27

Reaction score
The Cowboys supposedly never interviewed Connor McGovern on a exclusively one on one basis before the draft.

only met him at the NFL combine and that was before McCarthy
We’re on to something here. :omg:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Whatever on t the not talking to any possible draftees. I would think you would interview every one of them in case. This is where I do not understand a guy like McCarthy who supposedly is so analytic according to him. You can not analyze without all the info available. McCarthy is sort of a misdirection guy so people do not figure him out. But he has been in the NFL going on 2 decades. I think the other teams do have him flgured out. It's why he crept Moore as he was less predictable and McCarthy wanted to see if Moore could handle OC which took McCarthy off the hook calling plays. That was the biggest area. McCarthy failed at in ?
Z GB. So I understand now what and why McCarthy is struggling with.
Teams don't always interview every prospect though. Again, I've heard prospects say numerous times that they were surprised at who drafted them because they didn't talk with the team before the draft. That includes some high 1st round players.

Remember this is a different world than 30 years ago. Everything about a player is available - academics, run ins with the law, family backgrounds, reputations... Sure an interview can add to that, but it's not as if a team is in the dark without the interview.

In this case, the Cowboys may be fully comfortable with the player already, and may be focusing more on scrutinizing players they are less sure about to see if they can reach a comfort level. Plus. I suspect teams sometimes pass on interviews because they don't want other teams to know they are interested in a player.

As for people figuring McCarthy out, I don't know what that has to do with my post that you responded to, but maybe they have. Or maybe McCarthy still has some tricks up his sleeve. We should get a better feel for that this year since he will have a chance to have OTA's, a full training camp and a preseason.