Bradie Or Carp?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt;1488167 said:
Ellis looks to be healthy. Spencer won't be relied on every down as a rookie like Ware. By the end of the season, he'll probably be an every down player, though (with of course the normal rotation of Hatcher, Ellis, etc. at 4-3 DE).

Like Ireland said, it's not as easy as saying "pin your ears back" but it's pretty close for a 3-4 OLB. Parcells said as much as well when Ellis switched. The 3-4 OLB role isn't that difficult to learn (as compared to the 4-3 DE).
:signmast:

I'm waiting to see how well Ellis bounces back from his Achilles injury before conceding that he will be on the field very much, but this does make the most sense to me.

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
Ren;1486738 said:
I think it's safe to say from what little we saw of Carp last year he looks like he could be very good player i'm just not sure he can be on this team and in this system :( no point in playing him for the sake of playing him there's got to be a spot for him, that is hopefully ILB since we drafted spencer but if either Burnette or James play better they should get the start
Well, I'm pulling for Carp to earn a starting ILB spot in TC. I think he has all the tools to be a Pro-Bowl ILB and hope he shows why he was a 1st rounder.....

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
theogt;1488068 said:
Hey, when your play is absolutely horrible, that's way happens.

The criticism is absolutely warranted.

All-Pro level in 2005? LOL. Carpenter can't unseat Bradie? Oh, wow. That's hilarious.

:hammer:

InmanRoshi;1488086 said:
When Carpenter stops getting driven 10 yards backwards everytime a 3rd string training fodder gets in his pads, then let's worry about him starting. When he plays well enough that he gets ACTIVATED for games based on play, rather than needing an emergency fill in because someone blew out his achilles, then let's talk about him starting. When Carpenter starts playing well enough that he doesn't have to split time with a career journeyman like Al Singleton, who I don't even think has a job at the moment, then let's talk about him starting.

Until then, let's take baby steps.

:rolleyes:

YOu don't have to moronicly (yes, I said moronicly) exhaggerate to make a point.

If James stops putting opposing FBs in the running for the ProBowl (and that ISN'T exhaggerating) then maybe HE will have a chance.

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
baj1dallas;1486743 said:
what difference does it make now? They don't let you go back and re do draft picks.

I don't care who plays. I just want the defense to look like it did the first half of last season rather than the last half.
Of course it makes a difference! Crapping out w/ early round picks mires any team in mediocrity. There's too much damned $$$ tied w/ early picks in the salary-cap age. IF we blew it w/ Carp (which I hope we didn't cuz I like the kid), then it's a step-backwards for the team.....

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Rack;1488312 said:
:hammer:

:rolleyes:

YOu don't have to moronicly (yes, I said moronicly) exhaggerate to make a point.

If James stops putting opposing FBs in the running for the ProBowl (and that ISN'T exhaggerating) then maybe HE will have a chance.

OUCH.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
bobby carpenter is going to be a great player for us..

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Carpenter, easy. He is far more athletic, can rush the passer and cover fairly well (things Bradie just can't do consistantly).

Bradie James gave up more 15-20 yard pass plays with his piss-poor zone coverage than I care to remember.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1488337 said:
Why? I rather see him as a backup than releasing him and taking the cap hit.

I agree. He's still one of our better run stoppers. He'd be an excellent backup.

Tunasboys

Reaction score
Im pulling for carpenter...he will start at ILB or OLB...it took bradie 3 yrs to finally make it as a starter.I still like bradie but carpenter will be a really good player for us.

BouncingCheese

Stay out of my Bidness
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1488337 said:
Why? I rather see him as a backup than releasing him and taking the cap hit.

keep him this year to prevent the cap hit, then ask him to take a much lower salary next year or kick him for a minimal hit out of here; you can't have a guy with a 20 mil contract as a backup, IMO.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Seems kind of harsh to judge Carpenter based on a few plays during a preseason game when he was a rookie.

It took Bradie three years to do anything at all, even when Parcells tried his best to give him Coakley's job.

Anyway... You never know -- one of these guys could be traded during camp if a team got into injury trouble at LB. My pick would be Bradie, but maybe if Burnett or Ayodele were made second team, they could be moved.

BouncingCheese

Stay out of my Bidness
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1488638 said:
Seems kind of harsh to judge Carpenter based on a few plays during a preseason game when he was a rookie.

It took Bradie three years to do anything at all, even when Parcells tried his best to give him Coakley's job.

Anyway... You never know -- one of these guys could be traded during camp if a team got into injury trouble at LB. My pick would be Bradie, but maybe if Burnett or Ayodele were made second team, they could be moved.

Do you mean that Carp could be traded? I can't believe that. I would believe that James could be trade bait, but who would want it; not with the contract numbers he has... he is going to be a 2-down back wherever he goes because he is such a liability in pass protection.

I just want Kevin Burnett to play. Carp too.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
No, not Carp... I can't imagine us trading him.

Unless he totally bombs, which I don't expect.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Let's see..

Carp is bigger/stronger/faster/smarter than Bradie James.

You have to have Carp/Spencer or Ellis/Ware on the field at the same time. As far as I'm concerned, the battle is between Ayodele and James.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Clove;1488716 said:
Let's see..

Carp is bigger/stronger/faster/smarter than Bradie James.

You have to have Carp/Spencer or Ellis/Ware on the field at the same time. As far as I'm concerned, the battle is between Ayodele and James.

I'm all for Carp taking that spot (or Burnett) but let's be fair, the only thing we know for sure about Carp is that he is faster then James. We don't know if he's stronger or smarter. As far as bigger, they're about the same size. Certainly not a big enough difference to be a major factor.