Bradie Or Carp?

BouncingCheese

Stay out of my Bidness
Reaction score
I think Ayodele is supremely underated; he is pretty good in pass defense, though a bit undersized...I would rather have undersized lbs, with larger lineman. Fergy isn't Jamaal Williams' size, but he will do. Carp is better fit for the OLB spot, but I just want the guy on the field.

RxMan

Reaction score
I hope Wade has a little of Jimmy in him and will let there be an open competition. Ahh, I remember the 'asthma field'. Parcells had his guys, but he is gone now. Hopefully, Wade will be happy with his pick in Spencer and let a true battle go on for the LB spots.

Frozen700

Reaction score
Vintage;1487185 said:
I agree. Ayodele is probably a lock at one of the ILB spots though. But either way, with Carp or Burnett in the middle, it gives us better athleticism and coverage ability. And both are probably better blitzers.

But there is no reason to ship Bradie off. He could be a solid backup. And in goaline/obvious running situations...we could bring him in. But I'd like to see him used as a situational player; not a starter.

Agreed. Ratliff just has a nice ability to be around the ball. He could provide some push at DE. But I think Wade will want to keep him fresh to play some backup NT...

i agree

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Vintage;1487185 said:
I agree. Ayodele is probably a lock at one of the ILB spots though. But either way, with Carp or Burnett in the middle, it gives us better athleticism and coverage ability. And both are probably better blitzers.

But there is no reason to ship Bradie off. He could be a solid backup. And in goaline/obvious running situations...we could bring him in. But I'd like to see him used as a situational player; not a starter.

Yeah I agree. But if by some miracle Burnett and Carp win the jobs, then I'll be ok with it. Best scenario would be Carp and Ayodele with Burnett backing up both spots and starting in the nickel.

And I agree about James too. But he can go pack groceries at HEB when we're not in our goalline D. :D

Agreed. Ratliff just has a nice ability to be around the ball. He could provide some push at DE. But I think Wade will want to keep him fresh to play some backup NT...

I'm hoping he'll be able to JUST play DE this year. I think he'd be more effective that way.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
It's a good thing Players actually have to prove themselves before the earn a starting gig.

If anyone thinks Bradie James a team leader is going to roll over and play dead, they've got another thing coming.

Infact, Bradie is once again having a great offseason in the Film room (like in 2005 offseason) and is seriously working on his agility and range in the weight room.

Bradie took the next step in 2005 because he mastered the defense, elevating him to a defensive leader. Bradie is a well respected veteran with a huge lockeroom presence.

Bobby better bring his A game and maybe he should think about relinquishing his Robin mentality (AJ HAwk was Batman) as compared to Bradie James who was a player/coach type player at LSU. No coincidence to carried over to the NFL.

Bradie had a horrible last QTR of the season, but so did the entire defense and coincidentally Carpenter's increased presence also coincided with the defense going in the tank.

It's going to be a great competition.....my sources told me Al Johnson +10 wouldn't be a match for Andre Gurode, Drew Henson wouldn't make a roster last year, but they also thought Peterman would be the starting LG so while they haven't always been right I'll believe it when they say Bradie James has a bigger chip on his shoulder this year than he had going into the 2005 season.

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29812&highlight=Bradie+james

My money is on a more agile, stronger and faster Bradie James to hold down his starting role while Bobby becomes our version of Mike Vrabel a utilty 3-4 LB that can fill in anywhere at moments notice.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
He's the messageboard persona non grata, so everyone is taking turns kicking him, but I'm almost assured Bradie James will start in 2007. Bradie was playing near All Pro level in 2005. Take him out of the nickel and if he can regain 80% of that 2005 form, neither Carpenter or Ayodele are beating him out. Ayodele has been in the league longer than Braide and has never played at that level. Carpenter doesn't have the skill set to unseat Bradie. He's too weak against the run and can't take on and shed blocks to play base defense. Seriously, watch that preseason game against Minnesota and its depressing. Carpenter was getting drove back straight backwards 10 yards by Minnesota's third teamers and camp fodder in run blocks. I think Carpenter will be a situational guy and a rover type of linebacker, but he won't play base inside and be depended upon to stuff the run.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1487798 said:
He's the messageboard persona non grata, so everyone is taking turns kicking him, but I'm almost assured Bradie James will start in 2007. Bradie was playing near All Pro level in 2005. Take him out of the nickel and if he can regain 80% of that 2005 form, neither Carpenter or Ayodele are beating him out. Ayodele has been in the league longer than Braide and has never played at that level. Carpenter doesn't have the skill set to unseat Bradie. He's too weak against the run and can't take on and shed blocks to play base defense. Seriously, watch that preseason game against Minnesota and its depressing. Carpenter was getting drove back straight backwards 10 yards by Minnesota's third teamers and camp fodder in run blocks. I think Carpenter will be a situational guy, but he won't play base. Especially inside.

I am trying so hard not to come off a as Bobby-hater. I like the guy and think he's going to wear the star for years after both James and Ayodele are gone.

It's amazing how his improved play on a horrible defense late in the season is viewed as some signal that he's ready to unseat a 2 year starter and leader.

Bobby Carpenter struggled to make game day rosters, even special teams was a hard task, while Bradie James a player of supposed lesser draft value was a special teams ace that worked his way up the food chain.

If they think James is going to roll over and play dead...........

If Carpenter becomes our version of Mike Vrabel, I'll laugh all th way to the bank.

Championship teams need players of that ilk. Bill Bates comes to mind. Never a starter or star, but good enough to fill in at moments notice and play at a high level.

Bobby Carpenter is maybe 5 notches above Bates, so if he's a situational 3-4 LB then I think we've struck Gold.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Rack;1487561 said:
I'm hoping he'll be able to JUST play DE this year. I think he'd be more effective that way.

Ireland was on the radio the other day and said the reason the Cowboys didn't add a NT was because Wade didn't need a big, 320 pound NT. And that with Ferguson, Ratliff, Ola (UDFA), Bowen, and Stanley, that we had guys who could play the position.

I'd like to see what Ratliff could do as a DE....but I think the coaching staff is going to use him at NT this year.

BouncingCheese

Stay out of my Bidness
Reaction score
I don't care who starts; but I will be furious if we waste Kevin Burnetts' and Bobby Carpenters' speed and quickness. Bradie James is fine, but I don't want to even see him NEAR the field on passing downs. That said about me not caring who starts, I would like it Carpenter was on the field more.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1487798 said:
He's the messageboard persona non grata, so everyone is taking turns kicking him, but I'm almost assured Bradie James will start in 2007. Bradie was playing near All Pro level in 2005. Take him out of the nickel and if he can regain 80% of that 2005 form, neither Carpenter or Ayodele are beating him out. Ayodele has been in the league longer than Braide and has never played at that level. Carpenter doesn't have the skill set to unseat Bradie. He's too weak against the run and can't take on and shed blocks to play base defense. Seriously, watch that preseason game against Minnesota and its depressing. Carpenter was getting drove back straight backwards 10 yards by Minnesota's third teamers and camp fodder in run blocks. I think Carpenter will be a situational guy and a rover type of linebacker, but he won't play base inside and be depended upon to stuff the run.
Hey, when your play is absolutely horrible, that's way happens.

The criticism is absolutely warranted.

All-Pro level in 2005? LOL. Carpenter can't unseat Bradie? Oh, wow. That's hilarious.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
When Carpenter stops getting driven 10 yards backwards everytime a 3rd string training fodder gets in his pads, then let's worry about him starting. When he plays well enough that he gets ACTIVATED for games based on play, rather than needing an emergency fill in because someone blew out his achilles, then let's talk about him starting. When Carpenter starts playing well enough that he doesn't have to split time with a career journeyman like Al Singleton, who I don't even think has a job at the moment, then let's talk about him starting.

Until then, let's take baby steps.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1488086 said:
When Carpenter stops getting driven 10 yards backwards everytime a 3rd string training fodder gets in his pads, then let's worry about him starting. When he plays well enough that he gets ACTIVATED for games based on play, rather than needing an emergency fill in because someone blew out his achilles, then let's talk about him starting. When Carpenter starts playing well enough that he doesn't have to split time with a career journeyman like Al Singleton, who I don't even think has a job at the moment, then let's talk about him starting.

Until then, let's take baby steps.

Are you seriously going to base your argument off of one play, in Carpenter's first pre-season game no less, to argue that James' skillset is better than Carpenters? I can give you plenty that argue otherwise in James' case. Given some strenght training, there is no doubt in my mind that Carpenters "skillset" is FAR superior to James'. James' mobility is awful.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I had high hopes for Bradie James after watching him play at West Monroe High and then at LSU. I also hope that he'll turn it around soon, but hoping is for philosophers and PETA activists. My money's now on Carpenter being the better of the two at ILB. Can't wait until training camp to see what Phillips' ultimate opinion will be.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Charles;1487813 said:
I am trying so hard not to come off a as Bobby-hater. I like the guy and think he's going to wear the star for years after both James and Ayodele are gone.

It's amazing how his improved play on a horrible defense late in the season is viewed as some signal that he's ready to unseat a 2 year starter and leader.

Bobby Carpenter struggled to make game day rosters, even special teams was a hard task, while Bradie James a player of supposed lesser draft value was a special teams ace that worked his way up the food chain.

If they think James is going to roll over and play dead...........

If Carpenter becomes our version of Mike Vrabel, I'll laugh all th way to the bank.

Championship teams need players of that ilk. Bill Bates comes to mind. Never a starter or star, but good enough to fill in at moments notice and play at a high level.

Bobby Carpenter is maybe 5 notches above Bates, so if he's a situational 3-4 LB then I think we've struck Gold.
There were 2 problems with the LB corps in late 2006.

1. Carpenter couldn't pass-rush.
2. Bradie James is slow in terms of both foot speed and recognize a play and his responsibility.

Wade likes small, fast inside linebackers. Why you honestly think that James is most likely to keep the starting position, I can't comprehend.

And this talk about leader? How do you know? Are you in the locker room? Wasn't James one of the players that Newman was publicly criticizing last season? Why would he criticize such a leader?

BouncingCheese

Stay out of my Bidness
Reaction score
theogt;1488110 said:
There were 2 problems with the LB corps in late 2006.

1. Carpenter couldn't pass-rush.
2. Bradie James is slow in terms of both foot speed and recognize a play and his responsibility.

Wade likes small, fast inside linebackers. Why you honestly think that James is most likely to keep the starting position, I can't comprehend.

And this talk about leader? How do you know? Are you in the locker room? Wasn't James one of the players that Newman was publicly criticizing last season? Why would he criticize such a leader?
:hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Everything you said was DEAD RIGHT.

Look at Donnie Edwards, he was only 227 lbs... I think we may see a shift in the LB core, of Ayodele OLB(Spencer is not ready for OLB duties yet, I think) outside along with D-Ware, and possibly Kevin Burnett and Bobby Carpenter inside. Wade LOVED to blitz everyone and have Edwards hang out to pass protect because he was so fast and was decent in coverage... Burnett or Carpenter fit that role because they are so fast.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BouncingCheese;1488129 said:
:hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Everything you said was DEAD RIGHT.

Look at Donnie Edwards, he was only 227 lbs... I think we may see a shift in the LB core, of Ayodele OLB(Spencer is not ready for OLB duties yet, I think) outside along with D-Ware, and possibly Kevin Burnett and Bobby Carpenter inside. Wade LOVED to blitz everyone and have Edwards hang out to pass protect because he was so fast and was decent in coverage... Burnett or Carpenter fit that role because they are so fast.
Was Ware ready for outside linebacker duties in his rookie season? Another question. Was Shaun Phillips, a less touted, 4th round draft pick and anoher defensive end out of Purdue, ready to become a starter by year three?

I don't know, but I suspect Spencer will either get (a) quality playing time in his rookie season or (b) become the starter at OLB outright. Again, jmo.

BouncingCheese

Stay out of my Bidness
Reaction score
DallasEast;1488152 said:
Was Ware ready for outside linebacker duties in his rookie season? Another question. Was Shaun Phillips, a less touted, 4th round draft pick and anoher defensive end out of Purdue, ready to become a starter by year three?

I don't know, but I suspect Spencer will either get (a) quality playing time in his rookie season or (b) become the starter at OLB outright. Again, jmo.

I think that Spencer would develop more as a player if we didn't rush him into the OLB role so fast; I would rather have him rush the passer exclusively for now as he did in college. Shaun Phillips wasn't ready his rookie year,and honestly, we forget how lucky we are that D-Ware wasn't injured by all the running around he had to do while learning the position on the spot. I wanted Spencer as our 1st pick, I was saying that a month ago. But I say give him time to acclimate to the pos.

Spencer will be better for learning how to play the position before hand, on the bench or in practice, before we hand him a complicated defensive scheme which Wade will have (I guarantee that) in which the OLB has to decide when to stunt and be smart enough to decide more importantly when NOT to, so his area of protection isn't exposed for a big play or possibly six points. The OLB spot is KEY in Wade's defense.

Reaction score
I would definitely start Bobby Carpenter over Bradie James.. I think Dallas behind closed doors regret signing James to a long-term deal.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Ellis looks to be healthy. Spencer won't be relied on every down as a rookie like Ware. By the end of the season, he'll probably be an every down player, though (with of course the normal rotation of Hatcher, Ellis, etc. at 4-3 DE).

Like Ireland said, it's not as easy as saying "pin your ears back" but it's pretty close for a 3-4 OLB. Parcells said as much as well when Ellis switched. The 3-4 OLB role isn't that difficult to learn (as compared to the 4-3 DE).