Bradie Or Carp?

mmillman

Reaction score
James is a liability in pass coverage and no help in rushing the QB. I would like to see Carpenter beat him or Ayodele out. That would provide some youth and speed to the defense. We have seen the best of James and Ayodele, Carpenter's upside is higher. Who do you block? Ware coming off the edge, Ellis or Spencer coming off the other, with Carpenter and Wiilliams blitzing up the middle! I believe Spears will improve tremendously when he can just pin his ears back and not have to worry about two gaps as much.

Can't wait for the season to start.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From the mind of an LSU fan:

James had his chance at solidifying his ILB slot to make this argument worth arguing about. His play last season has him standing on quicksand.

Waitasec. He's up to his waist.

Hold up. He's up to his neck.

Let me check one more time. Nope. Nothing to argue about.

Carpenter moves inside and Spencer takes over at OLB. It was good knowing you (as a starter) James. :(

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
To be honest, I don't really think it matters much. Carpenter is going to get on the field. It's just a question of how long. This year or next? I don't know how long Ayodele's contract is for but eventually, Carp will replace him IMO. Because Carp can play either inside or outside, I think he's going to see the field either way. Honestly, Burnett really needs to do something this year IMO. If he doesn't, I think it probably signals a bit of a bust, which would be a shame because he has all the tools. This guy could be the difference for us in the East IMO. The NFC East is a very tough division if you don't have a LB who can cover. You got Shockey, LJ Smith and Chris Cooley at TE,all in the east. Each of these guys are Pro Bowl calibur TE/HBs/ IMO. Any given year and any one of them can get choosen. It's exceptionally important that we have an ILB that can cover these guys down field. Right now, we don't and you can look at that single factor in why we lost inside our division as much as anything. In our first loss to Philly, TEs accounted for 80 yards of receptions including a huge completion to LJ Smith to set up a TD (not to mention Westbrook w/5 for 53 yds).

Our first loss to NY, we actually played them well but yet again, on the batted INT by Pierce, it would eventually be Shockey who caught the TD that broke our backs three plays later.

In our first loss to Washington, Cooley went for 3 catches, 66 yards and a TD. (Betts had another 3 catches for 30 yards) We lost that damned game on a FG in the last second, after a blocked kick, face mask penalty on the return but most people don't remember that it was Cooley who caught the TD that tied the game to begin with.

The second loss to Philly, Smith had 2 catches for 77 yards and Schobel had 2 for 35 and a TD. You may remember that game. Everybody was over confident because Garcia was playing but Garcia worked us short all game, at one point, completing 4 straight 3rd down conversions which lead to 4 scores in the first 5 drives. Smith was hurt in the first quarter but came back in the third quarter to catch a 65 yarder on us. The first TD we gave up, we held Philly three straight times goal to goal before Garcia found Schobel uncoverd for the TD.

That's four losses in the division. If we win those games rather then lose them, we're division champs and tied with Chicago for the best record in the NFC.

I think it's critical that we find an ILB that can cover.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I find it strange that people are willing to blame Parcells' read and react scheme for the sorry play of Spears and Canty, our lack of a pass rush, and even somehow go through all of that to blame Roy's struggles on Parcells by saying he'll play much better when Phillips starts attacking, creating a better pass rush, etc etc.

Yet no one wants to give Brady James the same benefit of the doubt...maybe he was playing better early on before he started getting pushed into the scheme too much.

I'm willing to wait on Brady and see if maybe he isn't still the best ILB on this team...physically, he seems to be...I guess time will tell.

BouncingCheese

Stay out of my Bidness
Reaction score
Why are people so excited about Hoyte going back to LB if his fullback pos. does not work? He is slower than Bradie James; I know speed isn't everything but I would rather play an undersized Burnett at ILB than James or Hoyte... But I still want to see Burnett playing; Something tells me the Eagles might snatch him up when his contract runs up, and he will play amazingly at their weakside LB spot. I want him to play for US more!

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Carpenter>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>James.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I have to laugh at how Bradie James has become the message board boogeyman that everyone dogpiles , but people will fight to the death to make excuses for sacred cows like Julius Jones and Marcus Spears, who were equally mediocre last year, and blame everything on Parcells.

Bradie James shouldn't be on the field in the nickel, but the Cowboys weren't planning on him being on the field in the nickel in the first place. In training camp Carp and Burnett were playing on nickel. Carp had to be benched because our #18 pick in the drat was getting physically dominated by other team's training camp fodder in preseason games, and Kevin Burnett is blowing coverage after coverage because he's convinced himself that he's God's gift to football. But rather than blame our beloved sacred cows for how bad they were, let's just dogpile on Bradie James.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1486952 said:
I have to laugh at how Bradie James has become the message board boogeyman that everyone dogpiles , but people will fight to the death to make excuses for sacred cows like Julius Jones and Marcus Spears, who were equally mediocre last year, and blame everything on Parcells.

Bradie James shouldn't be on the field in the nickel, but the Cowboys weren't planning on him being on the field in the nickel in the first place. In training camp Carp and Burnett were playing on nickel. Carp had to be benched because our #18 pick in the drat was getting physically dominated by other team's training camp fodder in preseason games, and Kevin Burnett is blowing coverage after coverage because he's convinced himself that he's God's gift to football. But rather than blame our beloved sacred cows for how bad they were, let's just dogpile on Bradie James.

While I don't disagree with the jist of what your saying here, I think many (myself included) people on this board have seen the best we're going to get out of James. He's had ample time to show what he can do out there. Carpenter, on the other hand, worked through his initial poor play and showed a remarkable amount of improvement. In his last few games, Carpenter easily outplayed James in most facets of play. Furthermore, I don't think its unrealistic to think the trend of improved play from Carp is unreasonable. Let's just see. I personally would like to see the best guy win the job, and seeing as how Carpenter's physical ability far outweighs James', I hope Carp can take it from him. Give me Carp on opening day. If James is still there...I'll be quite dissapointed.

No need to laugh at those of us whom express our dissapointment in James' play, its the nature of the beast. He's been here long enough to prove himself, and he has yet to do so...

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1486952 said:

Why conflate arguments? Are the people arguing against James the same people arguing for Julius? Maybe some, but I know there are plenty that are not. I personally think both should be backups next season.

Regardless, the arguments are hardly similar. James' biggest problem is his lack of speed and awareness. Did Parcells cause those problems? No. Jones' biggest problem is that he's a magnet to large sweaty backsides. Did Parcells cause that? I don't think so, but it's certainly debatable.

As for James being on the field because Carpenter couldn't supplant him, that's fine for '06, but we're talking about '07. The '07 Carpenter should be sufficient to supplant him.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1486844 said:
To be honest, I don't really think it matters much. Carpenter is going to get on the field. It's just a question of how long. This year or next? I don't know how long Ayodele's contract is for but eventually, Carp will replace him IMO. .

If anyone gets replaced from the ILBs it's James. This is not to pile on James, but Ayodele actually had a solid season particularly the latter half. He blows up plays near the LOS and actually has some mobility and agility in space. And perhaps he'll become even more valuable under Wade Phillips as we know he has some pass rushing skills.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Its all about competition. I refuse to have any sort of preference until someone wins out with their play.

its actually cool as there is going to be competition all over the field.

ILB: Carp and James.
FS: Hamlin and Watkins.
DE: Spear, Canty and Hatcher.
RB: Jones and Barber
FB: Hoyte and Anderson.
3rd WR: Crayton, Auston and Hurd.
OLB: Spencer and Ellis.
Backup tackle: McQuistan, Marten and Free
Backup guard: Proctor and McQuuistan.
K: Grammatica and Folk

We may be thin at nose tackle and center but we are in prime position to be a very very deep team.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
JohnsKey19;1486987 said:
If anyone gets replaced from the ILBs it's James. This is not to pile on James, but Ayodele actually had a solid season particularly the latter half. He blows up plays near the LOS and actually has some mobility and agility in space. And perhaps he'll become even more valuable under Wade Phillips as we know he has some pass rushing skills.

You have to read the whole thread. I'm not saying that Ayodele should be replaced this year. I'm saying that Carp will eventually be a starter regardless. This year, the weak link is James IMO. Now, having said that, I don't know who will beat him out. I would love it to be Burnett with Carp eventaully replacing Ayodele in a year or so. That's probably going to happen because it's going to make sense from a cap perspective with Ayodele. That was the basic premise of the post your referring to.

Cowboys&Caps

Reaction score
I want to see............................drumroll.........................................

whoever wins the job in training camp!

a novel idea!

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
J.Jones21;1487033 said:
I want to see............................drumroll.........................................

whoever wins the job in training camp!

a novel idea!

Yes...because no one else has metioned that!!! :cool:

Reaction score
mmillman;1486818 said:
James is a liability in pass coverage and no help in rushing the QB. I would like to see Carpenter beat him or Ayodele out. That would provide some youth and speed to the defense. We have seen the best of James and Ayodele, Carpenter's upside is higher. Who do you block? Ware coming off the edge, Ellis or Spencer coming off the other, with Carpenter and Wiilliams blitzing up the middle! I believe Spears will improve tremendously when he can just pin his ears back and not have to worry about two gaps as much.

Can't wait for the season to start.

First..............Sago1 you made some very good and valid points
Secondly.......mmill, How can you we say that we have seen this best these guys can offer. This team is going in a totally different defensive direction. Assignments will differ for all the LBers. I don't see how we can focus on the mistakes James made and not focus on the mistake other on defense made. Are we ready to sit Roy down, he was burnt all yr? Are we ready to give up on Henry, although we knew he was injured and still was one of the league leaders in pass deflections. Are we ready to replace the entire starting DL because the did not apply the pressure needed or the sacks we were looking for, although they were in a read and react scheme that prevented them from using the talent that got them drafted in the first place. No need to talk about Watkins, because alot of people have already written him off (Me not included) when he was a rookie thrown in an already bad situation. I said all that to say, we have alot of talent on this team that have strong points in different areas. To me I don't care which one starts as long as the coaches recognize our weaknesses and make adjustments. One thing we can all say, this makes for some good competition in TC. One last thing, when you are beat down, degraded, and always belittled are you going to give your best and do you over think your self while out there worried about will you have a job next week. Think about it.
Thanks
Rob

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bradie James - LSU - big disappontement.
Marcus Spears - LSU - big disappointment.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
ELDudearino;1486747 said:
Carp needs to stay on the outside where he plays best and maybe bring in Randall Godfrey and bench James..:D

Sorry but we need our best players on the field. And we don't need to go signing Dinosaurs to play LB for us.

Let Ayodele, Carp, and Burnett battle it out for the 2 ILB spots. Let James go pack bags at HEB.

wayne motley;1486869 said:
I find it strange that people are willing to blame Parcells' read and react scheme for the sorry play of Spears and Canty, our lack of a pass rush, and even somehow go through all of that to blame Roy's struggles on Parcells by saying he'll play much better when Phillips starts attacking, creating a better pass rush, etc etc.

Yet no one wants to give Brady James the same benefit of the doubt...maybe he was playing better early on before he started getting pushed into the scheme too much.

I'm willing to wait on Brady and see if maybe he isn't still the best ILB on this team...physically, he seems to be...I guess time will tell.

As mentioned before, whether it's BP, Zimmer, Wade, or JESUS CHRIST, you can't fix James' problems (lack of speed and a tendency to bite hard on play action).

FuzzyLumpkins;1487012 said:
Its all about competition. I refuse to have any sort of preference until someone wins out with their play.

its actually cool as there is going to be competition all over the field.

ILB: Carp and James.
FS: Hamlin and Watkins.
DE: Spear, Canty and Hatcher.
RB: Jones and Barber
FB: Hoyte and Anderson.
3rd WR: Crayton, Auston and Hurd.
OLB: Spencer and Ellis.
Backup tackle: McQuistan, Marten and Free
Backup guard: Proctor and McQuuistan.
K: Grammatica and Folk

We may be thin at nose tackle and center but we are in prime position to be a very very deep team.

I'd put Ratliff on that list too. IMO he's the best pass rushing DE of the 4, and he just might fit better in Wade's system then the other 3.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Rack;1487181 said:
Sorry but we need our best players on the field. And we don't need to go signing Dinosaurs to play LB for us.

Let Ayodele, Carp, and Burnett battle it out for the 2 ILB spots. Let James go pack bags at HEB.

I agree. Ayodele is probably a lock at one of the ILB spots though. But either way, with Carp or Burnett in the middle, it gives us better athleticism and coverage ability. And both are probably better blitzers.

But there is no reason to ship Bradie off. He could be a solid backup. And in goaline/obvious running situations...we could bring him in. But I'd like to see him used as a situational player; not a starter.

I'd put Ratliff on that list too. IMO he's the best pass rushing DE of the 4, and he just might fit better in Wade's system then the other 3.

Agreed. Ratliff just has a nice ability to be around the ball. He could provide some push at DE. But I think Wade will want to keep him fresh to play some backup NT...