Bradlee Anae needs to play more

quickccc

Reaction score
Again, coaches make mistakes, but at the end of the day there is no way a guy sitting at home typing on a computer is better equipped to make playing decisions than a veteran football coach who directly works with the players every day.

LOL .. you'd be surprised as those same coaches end up making such mistakes that they themselves end up sitting at home typing on a computer instead of being back on a field football. :muttley:

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
i don't understand why coaching staff Jim Tomsula is red shirting Bradlee Anae almost the same way
Reggie Robinson is being sat out this year .

Anae has been in on a few special team snaps but nuhtin major role there.

- Anae collected 30 sacks at Utah St. - so he was a sack machine there

- Anae put on impressive at Senior Bowl weekend proving unblockable in both practices and game itself

- Anae from all reports that put on another display in Cowboys training camp when he was unblockable

- Bradlee fell in draft to the 5th rd because typical scouts were wary of his poor workout numbers

i don't think its just Anae not being ready to show, because if not for the injuries of McCoy, Hill and the disappointments of Poe and Crawford, Nevillie Gallimore wouldve still been sitting the bench, instead of displaying
some ability ala Steelers .

There are times like this where these coaches that are holding back these players ......:banghead:

I think my question is how do coaches (ours specifically) rank young guys vs veterans even when both are new to the team? It seems they play the one making the most regardless of production which is an aweful thing to do if you are wanting to win.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think my question is how do coaches (ours specifically) rank young guys vs veterans even when both are new to the team? It seems they play the one making the most regardless of production which is an aweful thing to do if you are wanting to win.
Of course the higher paid veteran free agents are signed and paid specifically because they are thought to be ready to play immediately. Then, naturally, the rookies that are drafted higher are expected to be more ready to play immediately than lower draft picks. Ultimately though, it's up to all the players to justify whatever playing time they get, and eventually convince the coaches they are worthy of taking a share of the playing time.

catiii

Reaction score
i don't understand why coaching staff Jim Tomsula is red shirting Bradlee Anae almost the same way
Reggie Robinson is being sat out this year .

Anae has been in on a few special team snaps but nuhtin major role there.

- Anae collected 30 sacks at Utah St. - so he was a sack machine there

- Anae put on impressive at Senior Bowl weekend proving unblockable in both practices and game itself

- Anae from all reports that put on another display in Cowboys training camp when he was unblockable

- Bradlee fell in draft to the 5th rd because typical scouts were wary of his poor workout numbers

i don't think its just Anae not being ready to show, because if not for the injuries of McCoy, Hill and the disappointments of Poe and Crawford, Nevillie Gallimore wouldve still been sitting the bench, instead of displaying
some ability ala Steelers .

There are times like this where these coaches that are holding back these players ......:banghead:
The sunken ship Former Champions has a sordid history because of it's bogan Captain of playing the highest paid players regardless of quality of play and leaving the better players on the bench. I doubt the coach honestly has ANY say at all as to which player is on the field - notice one of the Jones bogans made it clear that Gilbert was being benched regardless of his stellar "helluva game" play against the Steelers and we did NOT hear that from our figurehead coach, Garrett II.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I expect Anae to get his chance to play, eventually.

It will likely occur upon further development.

That might not happen until next year.

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
and if not for injuries to Looney, ..does Tyler Biasdiaz sit out as a backup for the entire year ?

Now because of that Looney injury, he is inserted in the lineup, and not only gaining invaluable game experience that will make him one year early headstart and advance into
next year's regular season start. But Tyler Biadasz is already proving he can play as a rookie. and because of his skill set and accolodes as an established center, he's already
NFL ready and a better center than Looney is.

But if not for the Looney injury,.. and had a healthy Tyler been sitting out the entire year , we would have no idea if he could play, how good he is or can be and he'd basically be a rookie again in 2021.

It's quite possible if Looney doesn't get hurt, maybe Biadasz never plays this year. Or maybe does play because, frankly, Looney isn't a great C. Again, Anae isn't nearly as good as Lawrence, Gregory and Smith at DE. So I think you are making a failed comparison here.

Further, just because Biadasz has been fine doesn't mean Anae will come in and play.

Again, it's perplexing why you have such an affinity for Anae here. It's also perplexing why you are having a hard time coming to grips with the reality that a 5th round pick often takes time to even find PT in this league. The odds are SIGNIFICANTLY against a late round pick in the draft ever amounting to much in this league.

Sydla

Reaction score
I expect Anae to get his chances to play, eventually.

It will likely come upon further development.

That might not happen until next year.

Exactly. And this isn't a unique thing for late round picks. Even when they do eventually show they can play, it often takes time for them to even find a spot on the depth chart. Acting like Anae not being given snaps in a NFL game as some monumental mistake by the coaching staff is very funny.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Of course the higher paid veteran free agents are signed and paid specifically because they are thought to be ready to play immediately. Then, naturally, the rookies that are drafted higher are expected to be more ready to play immediately than lower draft picks. Ultimately though, it's up to all the players to justify whatever playing time they get, and eventually convince the coaches they are worthy of taking a share of the playing time.

Yea it's just baffling when a player is struggling game in and game out they would at least give the other guy a few more snaps.

quickccc

Reaction score
It's quite possible if Looney doesn't get hurt, maybe Biadasz never plays this year. Or maybe does play because, frankly, Looney isn't a great C. Again, Anae isn't nearly as good as Lawrence, Gregory and Smith at DE. So I think you are making a failed comparison here.

Further, just because Biadasz has been fine doesn't mean Anae will come in and play.

Again, it's perplexing why you have such an affinity for Anae here. It's also perplexing why you are having a hard time coming to grips with the reality that a 5th round pick often takes time to even find PT in this league. The odds are SIGNIFICANTLY against a late round pick in the draft ever amounting to much in this league.

Tsk ..Tsk ,..i never made Anae comparisons to the front 3 DEs - not even once, ..you are one doing that.
Oddly i dunno where and why you insist on comparisons in the 1st place when it comes to the front 3 DEs of a Dlaw, a Gregory or a Aldon Smith,,as if you're worried about a competitive takeover. - that's just seem to be your own mindset, take, and wake,

while i'm simply suggesting to not only get in a guy who has a resume knack for sacks and pass rush skills, and getting him Armstrong's snaps at best would already have him in the rotation mix and get his feet wet, so when someone among the front 3 does get hurt, Anae is not as unprepared and its' a rush job with him, and he can already have his play and role pat down and its' a lesser confusion and lesser of a learning wall with him.

Biadasz has been fine .... but it also does not exclude that Anae will not come/cannot come in and play well either.
Like i said with another poster, we're not asking and expecting a guarantee, .just a chance and opportunity to get an ample long, hard look
at Anae, ..

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sydla

Reaction score
Tsk ..Tsk ,..i never made Anae comparisons to the front 3 DEs - not even once, ..you are one doing that.
Oddly i dunno where and why you insist on comparisons in the 1st place when it comes to the front 3 DEs of a Dlaw, a Gregory or a Aldon Smith,,as if you're worried about a competitive takeover. - that's just seem to be your own mindset, take, and wake,

while i'm simply suggesting to not only get in a guy who has a resume knack for sacks and pass rush skills, and getting him Armstrong's snaps at best would already have him in the rotation mix and get his feet wet, so when someone among the front 3 does get hurt, Anae is not as unprepared and its' a rush job with him, and he can already have his play and role pat down and its' a lesser confusion and lesser of a learning wall with him.

Biadasz has been fine .... but it also does not exclude that Anae will not come/cannot come in and play well either.
Like i said with another poster, we're not asking and expecting a guarantee, .just a chance and opportunity to get an ample long, hard look
at Anae, ..

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

It's not a comparison. It's simply a reality check on the depth chart. I guess you could argue you could give the 15-20 snaps Armstrong gets to Anae, and I wouldn't have any issue with that. Armstrong appears to be a JAG himself. So if they announced Anae as the 4th DE this week, I'd be fine with that.

But it's hardly a bad decision or some sort of travesty that Anae isn't getting snaps. He's clearly not good enough at this point to warrant snaps. I trust a qualified DL coach in Tomsula over an Anae fan boy on the internet.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
this has nuthin' to do with "hating ' rotational guys, but more so about been-there/done that, ..now let's give others opportunity.

I already know about both players poor pre-draft workout numbers, but this isn't about track & field, but about a knack for sacking the QB.
It's been proven many times over that there are guys in NFL that just outperform what they tested at the NFL combine, pre draft workouts.
They play faster, stronger, flat make plays than what's measured in work outs.

and this is a losing team, with a porous pass rush, and we're still hanging onto guys like Armstrong who team was expecting to be an impact
pass rusher - such that at draft time reports had team considering moving up to select him a round earlier than what he eventually was picked
they had hoped he'd be a player, but he's materialized into nuthin' more than JAG.

You'd think he'd be right in the mix with the names ala Aldon, DLaw and Bradlee in picking the scrub blockers apart in training camp per camp reports, but
yet there's no mention of Dorace doing the same vs vast inferior blockers.

Bradlee Anae
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/bradlee-anae-1.html

Dorace Armstrong
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/dorance-armstrong-jr-1.html

You guys and the infamous camp reports.

Those reports during normal years in the time between the start of camp and the 1st preseason game are always wrong about multiple players.

I posted about college stats already.

Armstrong was on a bad team with minimal talent around him in his final season.

The point of the measurables is that they!re similar to each other.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
It's not a comparison. It's simply a reality check on the depth chart. I guess you could argue you could give the 15-20 snaps Armstrong gets to Anae, and I wouldn't have any issue with that. Armstrong appears to be a JAG himself. So if they announced Anae as the 4th DE this week, I'd be fine with that.

But it's hardly a bad decision or some sort of travesty that Anae isn't getting snaps. He's clearly not good enough at this point to warrant snaps. I trust a qualified DL coach in Tomsula over an Anae fan boy on the internet.

Well Tomsula was probably one of the voices that had Poe doing absolutely nothing for us.. Maybe he was also one of the first to say get him outta here.. but he absolutely has to wear the fact that he had him starting and playing the majority of the snaps for our first 7 games..

quickccc

Reaction score
You guys and the infamous camp reports.

Those reports during normal years in the time between the start of camp and the 1st preseason game are always wrong about multiple players.

I posted about college stats already.

Armstrong was on a bad team with minimal talent around him in his final season.

The point of the measurables is that they!re similar to each other.

and what has Armstrong done in since his years in NFL ?
- with more support cast around him vs college
- higher level of coaching ?
- a full NFL offseason strengthening program ?
- preseason and regular season game reps ?
- Dude is JAG

:confused:

Johnny23

Reaction score
Some people don't realize most 5th round picks are backups who don't get playing time on Sunday. This threads a prime example of it.

blumayne38

Reaction score
Whoa hold on they never held back Heath he just wasn't that good. He was of the same caliber as Wilcox. Romo was being developed. He was not being "held back" lol.
No. Heath was not. Wilcox could hit and that was about it. You underestimate consistency. And IQ. Heath was a heck of a player and solid.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
You have not seen him against NFL players. The coaches see him in multiple practices every week.

I was a fan of the pick but Anae is not remotely close to Randy Gregory in physical talent...
Exactly. Maybe Anae is getting pancaked by Steele every practice. We have no clue how he is progressing. I would think/hope that if he is destroying people in practice he would get snaps. But I have a feeling he is not. And I 100% agree that he is not the same level talent wise as a guy like Gregory.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly. Maybe Anae is getting pancaked by Steele every practice. We have no clue how he is progressing. I would think/hope that if he is destroying people in practice he would get snaps. But I have a feeling he is not. And I 100% agree that he is not the same level talent wise as a guy like Gregory.
Good post.

Some fans are obsessed with the little media reports from training camp this year. We should all know from years of training camps when there are also preseason games that those media reports are basically meaningless.

I was a fan of Anae before the Cowboys drafted him but if they are not playing him then there is a reason. It's not as if fans can claim that Jerry is forcing them to play Dorance Armstrong...