Brady Quinn - Anthony Spencer

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
rcaldw;2407227 said:
Ah good point. Did Felix come to us through that deal? If so, then I retract my wish. :)

Yeah we used the Cleveland pick on Felix :)

rcaldw

Reaction score
Wrangler87;2407249 said:
Quinn played great. Dink and dunk my ***. The kid made plays all over the field, even under great pressure. Threw the ten yard out on a rope.

That was truly one of the best performances I have ever seen out of an NFL QB in his first start. He would have won the game if it wasn't for three big mistakes by Winslow.

He did play great and anyone who would say differently is viewing through some biased colored glasses.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Wrangler87;2407249 said:
Quinn played great. Dink and dunk my ***. The kid made plays all over the field, even under great pressure. Threw the ten yard out on a rope.

That was truly one of the best performances I have ever seen out of an NFL QB in his first start. He would have won the game if it wasn't for three big mistakes by Winslow.

How many passes over 10 yards did he have?

While he looked pretty good it was dink and dunk

and the "best performances" seems like an overreach

rcaldw

Reaction score
BigDFan5;2407258 said:
Yeah we used the Cleveland pick on Felix :)

Gotcha, thanks for the reality check, I feel a lot better. :) I'll take Felix and Spencer too. I think Felix is going to be great.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
rcaldw;2407252 said:
Ah, slow down there BraveofHeart. I was just musing about the value of Quinn versus the value of Spencer. I had forgotten that we got more in the deal at #22. So, it isn't like I was sitting there on draft day, and THAT is the decision I would have made, to have jettisoned multiple picks to take Quinn.

And, yes, I still think that Quinn will end up having more NFL value than Spencer, so if it was a 1-1 comparison, I would still take Quinn over him.

And in terms of the braintrust that IS the Dallas Cowboys "leadership team", I'll take me and about 10 others off this board and I'll bet you we couldn't do much worse than what Jerry has done since 1993 when he has been on his own.

No playoff wins since 1996, and without Jimmy Johnson and the 2 year residual that followed him, and without Bill Parcells the GM, Jerry Jones has produced NOTHING.

You also have the benefit of hindsight helping you, and not just you the majority of fans, to think you'd make better decisions on player selections.

The guys running the show are certainly not ideal, or near the top of guys, I'll grant anyone that. But they're going to be much better than the average joes on a message board forum who unfortunately over value their own abilities far to much.

Now I do agree with you in a 1-1 situation with all things being right for the situation then Quinn will wind up far more valuable than Spencer. That's a given cause he's the QB. But in Dallas, where we have Romo, there is no way Quinn's value would have ever been able to rise above Spencers. Quinn would either be a career back up here, or traded later on, and Spencer is going to be a multiple year starter.

Wrangler87

Reaction score
rcaldw;2407252 said:
Ah, slow down there BraveofHeart. I was just musing about the value of Quinn versus the value of Spencer. I had forgotten that we got more in the deal at #22. So, it isn't like I was sitting there on draft day, and THAT is the decision I would have made, to have jettisoned multiple picks to take Quinn.

And, yes, I still think that Quinn will end up having more NFL value than Spencer, so if it was a 1-1 comparison, I would still take Quinn over him.

And in terms of the braintrust that IS the Dallas Cowboys "leadership team", I'll take me and about 10 others off this board and I'll bet you we couldn't do much worse than what Jerry has done since 1993 when he has been on his own.

No playoff wins since 1996, and without Jimmy Johnson and the 2 year residual that followed him, and without Bill Parcells the GM, Jerry Jones has produced NOTHING.

That's an awful lot of foresight. The though is logical, but no NFL owner or GM would ever have the patience necessary to go through with it.

Quinn will be the real deal. A lot of people dislike him because he went to Notre Dame, so they make comments like he "sucks". The kid has shown nothing but class through college and now the pros. He looked exceptional last night and made some great throw in spite of pressure. Finished with somewhere around 125.00 QB rating.

That being said, I still would do what we did, becauswe we have Romo. But, granted, at this point, Spencer is nothing but a backup.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
If we had taken Brady Quinn in the first round to be a backup QB this forum would have gone postal.

On top of that we would not have had the pick we used to take Felix Jones and before his injury he was a difference maker in this offense.

Spencer will be a 10 year starter here.

I think we got the better end of the deal by far.

rcaldw

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2407263 said:
You also have the benefit of hindsight helping you, and not just you the majority of fans, to think you'd make better decisions on player selections.

The guys running the show are certainly not ideal, or near the top of guys, I'll grant anyone that. But they're going to be much better than the average joes on a message board forum who unfortunately over value their own abilities far to much.

Now I do agree with you in a 1-1 situation with all things being right for the situation then Quinn will wind up far more valuable than Spencer. That's a given cause he's the QB. But in Dallas, where we have Romo, there is no way Quinn's value would have ever been able to rise above Spencers. Quinn would either be a career back up here, or traded later on, and Spencer is going to be a multiple year starter.

I agree that a lot of message board talk is 20/20 hindsight. And I'm quite sure that I engage in it as much as anyone. I also know where I have been quite wrong. (hello Drew Henson) But I actually have quite a few opinions BEFORE the outcome can be seen. And I actually think I hit on mine more often than Jerry has hit on his.

I'm sorry Braveheartfan, I just don't have confidence in GM Jerry. Should I be an NFL gm? Probably not. In fact, CERTAINLY not. But neither should Jerry. Jerry is a fan with ownership authority and a lot of money. Jerry is not a good GM.

Wrangler87

Reaction score
BigDFan5;2407261 said:
How many passes over 10 yards did he have?

While he looked pretty good it was dink and dunk

and the "best performances" seems like an overreach

I didn't count, but it wasn't necessary. He scored on just about every drive in the first half, and took his team the length of the field to take the lead late in the fourth quarter, against a two deep zone, which is designed not to give up the deep ball. He threw several 7-10 yard out patterns on a rope.

Are you honestly going to say he didn't play well because he didn't heave the ball 50 yards down field for a long pass, even though he scored 30 points in his first NFL game ever?

rcaldw

Reaction score
Hostile;2407276 said:
If we had taken Brady Quinn in the first round to be a backup QB this forum would have gone postal.

On top of that we would not have had the pick we used to take Felix Jones and before his injury he was a difference maker in this offense.

Spencer will be a 10 year starter here.

I think we got the better end of the deal by far.

Your right Hos, and I had forgotten about the Felix part of it. Already been pointed out, and I've already repented. :)

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
rcaldw;2407277 said:
I agree that a lot of message board talk is 20/20 hindsight. And I'm quite sure that I engage in it as much as anyone. I also know where I have been quite wrong. (hello Drew Henson) But I actually have quite a few opinions BEFORE the outcome can be seen. And I actually think I hit on mine more often than Jerry has hit on his.

I'm sorry Braveheartfan, I just don't have confidence in GM Jerry. Should I be an NFL gm? Probably not. In fact, CERTAINLY not. But neither should Jerry. Jerry is a fan with ownership authority and a lot of money. Jerry is not a good GM.

Well I won't necassarily argue with you there. I never can decide if I really like Jerry the GM or really hate him.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Wrangler87;2407280 said:
I didn't count, but it wasn't necessary. He scored on just about every drive in the first half, and took his team the length of the field to take the lead late in the fourth quarter, against a two deep zone, which is designed not to give up the deep ball. He threw several 7-10 yard out patterns on a rope.

Are you honestly going to say he didn't play well because he didn't heave the ball 50 yards down field for a long pass, even though he scored 30 points in his first NFL game ever?

Watching the game last night he just seemed like a very poised, confidence, and smart QB. He took what the defense was giving and didn't panic or force things and allowed his recievers and backs to make plays for him.

Darn fine work.

And lets not forget that if Winslow doesn't let that last pass just sail right through his hands who knows what Quinn might have gotten done on that final drive.

All and all a darn fine debut for Quinn.

rcaldw

Reaction score
Wrangler87;2407268 said:
That's an awful lot of foresight. The though is logical, but no NFL owner or GM would ever have the patience necessary to go through with it.

Quinn will be the real deal. A lot of people dislike him because he went to Notre Dame, so they make comments like he "sucks". The kid has shown nothing but class through college and now the pros. He looked exceptional last night and made some great throw in spite of pressure. Finished with somewhere around 125.00 QB rating.

That being said, I still would do what we did, becauswe we have Romo. But, granted, at this point, Spencer is nothing but a backup.

I agree Wrangler that it would take a lot of foresight, but isn't it interesting that that is EXACTLY what Jimmy Johnson had?

Look at the talent level on the 1989 Cowboys. All the holes we had to fill. And Johnson spent picks on 2 QB's. Got value for both. One led his team to 2 championships (while Jimmy was here) and the other landed value thru trade.

It is VISION that this team needs right now on a leadership level. Instead it gets REACTION.

Wrangler87

Reaction score
rcaldw;2407294 said:
I agree Wrangler that it would take a lot of foresight, but isn't it interesting that that is EXACTLY what Jimmy Johnson had?

Look at the talent level on the 1989 Cowboys. All the holes we had to fill. And Johnson spent picks on 2 QB's. Got value for both. One led his team to 2 championships (while Jimmy was here) and the other landed value thru trade.

It is VISION that this team needs right now on a leadership level. Instead it gets REACTION.

You are right. We are a very reactionary team.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
rcaldw;2407294 said:

I can see where you'e coming from there but on the 2 QB thing in that situation I think Jimmy got a lot more lucky than he did visionary. That was a situation that could have absolutely ruined Aikman and caused a huge locker room rift when you bring in two QBs, the same year, and have something like that going.

Jimmy gets a lot of credit from me for doing/helping do a lot of things with this team but that particular instance I absolutely believe he got more lucky than anything else.

rcaldw

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2407304 said:
I can see where you'e coming from there but on the 2 QB thing in that situation I think Jimmy got a lot more lucky than he did visionary. That was a situation that could have absolutely ruined Aikman and caused a huge locker room rift when you bring in two QBs, the same year, and have something like that going.

Jimmy gets a lot of credit from me for doing/helping do a lot of things with this team but that particular instance I absolutely believe he got more lucky than anything else.

You may be right there. I was always a huge Aikman fan so I certainly didn't like it at the time. From what I remember, though, I think those who were closest to the situation could see such a PHYSICAL difference between the two, it was never a serious competition. Aikman's arm strength compared to Steve Walsh's wasn't a contest.

Wrangler87

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2407304 said:

Yeah, I agree. Remember, Jimmy wanted to keep Walsh. Even though I think Walsh would have be a better QB in Dallas than anywhere else, he was still no Aikman.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Jimmy only spent a 1st rounder on Walsh because he foolishly doubted Aikman.

The truth is, that was a very stupid move and we got incredibly lucky that we found a Greater Fool in the Saints.

I'd take Spencer straight up over Quinn for our team. And when you add Felix, it's a total no-brainer.

Or was that already mentioned? :)