Brady Quinn - Anthony Spencer

rcaldw

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2407320 said:
Quinn sucks

If that is a "sucky" first start, with one day of practice, (2 TD's 104 QB rating) then tell me how you would describe what we have at backup QB? I'm truly interested to know.

rcaldw

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2407330 said:
Jimmy only spent a 1st rounder on Walsh because he foolishly doubted Aikman.

The truth is, that was a very stupid move and we got incredibly lucky that we found a Greater Fool in the Saints.

I'd take Spencer straight up over Quinn for our team. And when you add Felix, it's a total no-brainer.

Or was that already mentioned? :)

It's amazing how Jimmy's stupid moves were better than the current guru's brilliant moves when they all worked out.

I disagree with you on Spencer vs. Quinn straight up (Have I already said that?)

But with Felix added, you are correct. (And yes that has already been said :))

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2407320 said:
Quinn sucks

yeah, clearly. I mean he looked like total crap last night. God I couldn't believe they let this guy in the league.

Way to show how little you actually know.

superpunk

Reaction score
Has it been pointed out that his Broncos defense has a chance to be like - historically bad? And it continues to be absolutely destroyed by injuries?

I'm just wondering.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
rcaldw;2407345 said:
It's amazing how Jimmy's stupid moves were better than the current guru's brilliant moves when they all worked out.
The current guru... Would that be Jerry?

And Jimmy made a ton of great, great moves. We all know that. But using a first rounder on Steve Walsh wasn't one of them.

rcaldw

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2407354 said:
The current guru... Would that be Jerry?

And Jimmy made a ton of great, great moves. We all know that. But using a first rounder on Steve Walsh wasn't one of them.

Yes :) current guru = Jerry

And, other than us speculating about how the Steve Walsh move MIGHT have worked out poorly..... If we only evaluate it on how it ACTUALLY turned out, on what grounds could we call it stupid or say that it didn't work out??

superpunk

Reaction score
rcaldw;2407362 said:

And, other than us speculating about how the Steve Walsh move MIGHT have worked out poorly..... If we only evaluate it on how it ACTUALLY turned out, on what grounds could we call it stupid or say that it didn't work out??
/Applies same logic to passing on Quinn and drafting Spencer and Felix, while having franchise QB Tony Romo in the fold..../

/leaves thread/

dfense

Reaction score
rcaldw;2407171 said:
In 2007 I wanted Dallas to take Brady Quinn when he fell as far as he did. Instead, Dallas selected Anthony Spencer. Sure would have been nice to have had Quinn these last 3 games. It would also be nice to have a backup QB who could actually have a future for us.
Please, Did you see Quinn rifle those passes down field? Neither did I. He threw 10 yard dink and dunks all night. Not exactly compatible with the Cowboys offense. Revisit this conversation at the end of the season and reevaluate.

At least Spencer will be seeing lots of time real soon. The writing is on the wall for Ellis. All he brought as a OLB in the 3-4 was sacks. HE can't cover and he can't run. And he ain't gettin the sacks anymore.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
rcaldw;2407362 said:

Because the only way it worked out was that we got lucky and found a sucker to take him off our hands for a good price. If they hadn't bailed us out, we'd have been stuck with a first round pick wasting away on the bench.

Ya know, just because we made a very poor decision on Brad Johnson, it doesn't mean we should've used a first rounder on a backup QB. :)

rcaldw

Reaction score
superpunk;2407366 said:
/Applies same logic to passing on Quinn and drafting Spencer and Felix, while having franchise QB Tony Romo in the fold..../

/leaves thread/

Ah, my fire Wade compadre, don't be too quick on the draw on this one. We have to see how Romo, Spencer and Felix actually finish in the long run, and we have to see how Quinn finishes.

ANDDDDDDDD, don't forget the original premise (as misinformed as it was!), I wasn't including Felix in my musings, I was only going SPENCER VS. QUINN, which (I want this on the record), Lab says he would do straight up.

Lets see how that one turns out!

joseephuss

Reaction score
rcaldw;2407362 said:

If Dallas doesn't draft Steve Walsh in the supplemental draft of 1989, then they could have possibly drafted Cortez Kennedy, Junior Seau or Richmond Webb in the 1990 draft. Those guys would have helped Dallas for years in the early 90s.

In the end, Dallas did manage to make the drafting of Steve Walsh work out. It doesn't happen very often that you draft a 1st round QB when you already have a franchise QB. I would not do it as a general rule. I also did not think that Quinn was worth the move.

There was a need for a OLB/pass rusher, which is why Dallas chose Spencer. Ellis was not ready at the beginning of season last year.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
It was the right decision considering we had a young, talented QB already in place. What remains to be seen is if Spencer was the right decision. He's shown flashes, but he's been dinged a little too much for my liking.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
rcaldw;2407345 said:

I disagree with you on Spencer vs. Quinn straight up (Have I already said that?)

But with Felix added, you are correct. (And yes that has already been said :))
Taking Steve Walsh in the supplemental cost the Cowboys the 1990 1st overall pick. The Colts gave up a lot of players and picks to the Falcons to take Jeff George in that draft, much more than what the Cowboys got from the Saints and there was also a lot of hall of fame players taken in the first few picks after George.

Reaction score
Bonecrusher#31;2407182 said:
I'm not sure yet....All Quinn did was dink and dunk all day against a truly putrid defense...Thats all I'm saying.

Quinn will be a star in this league. He is a leader in the huddle and can make all the throws. He isnt the class clown either.

rcaldw

Reaction score
speedkilz88;2407378 said:
Taking Steve Walsh in the supplemental cost the Cowboys the 1990 1st overall pick. The Colts gave up a lot of players and picks to the Falcons to take Jeff George in that draft, much more than what the Cowboys got from the Saints and there was also a lot of hall of fame players taken in the first few picks after George.

Does anyone know what we actually got in compensation for Walsh from the Saints and how that turned out?

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
speedkilz88;2407378 said:

Correctamundo. The Saints bailed us out of that bad decision by forking over a first, second, and third round pick, but that's nothing compared to the boatload of picks we could have demanded (and secured) for George.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
joseephuss;2407374 said:
If Dallas doesn't draft Steve Walsh in the supplemental draft of 1989, then they could have possibly drafted Cortez Kennedy, Junior Seau or Richmond Webb in the 1990 draft. Those guys would have helped Dallas for years in the early 90s.
Just imagine Seau or Cortez Kennedy on that team. I have to think Jimmy would've taken Kennedy given the Miami connection and the fact that Jimmy took an inferior player at the same position the very next year.

Wow. :eek:

Edit, just saw in this article that we'd have taken Seau. Talk about a scary defense.

rcaldw

Reaction score
hold on there Cowboys fans:

We got a 1st and 3rd in 1991 for Walsh, AND their 2nd rounder in 1992.

I'm trying to track down who we took with those picks.

rcaldw

Reaction score
THE 3RD ROUND PICK WENT FOR ONE: ERIK WILLIAMS OT!!!!

Would you say he was pretty important for our success in the 90's.

Hold on, still working on the others.

rcaldw

Reaction score
Ok, after tracking down the multiple trades that were made as well as selections made,

I THINK: Dallas ended up with Erik Williams (I know that for sure), Dixon Edwards, and WR Jimmy Smith, out of the deal.