Brady Quinn Says He Can Turn a Franchise Around

jay cee

Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO;1455686 said:
He is pretty full of himself. For some reason I have missed the articles with Russell telling everyone how great he is.

:laugh2: So have I.

ccb04

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;1455691 said:
You sir are correct, Russell hasn't been on national TV saying a word about why he should be number one. Game film does enough talking.

What the game film would show is the 4 TD's vs 6 Int's Russell threw against the 3 best defenses (Auburn, Tennessee, Florida) he faced this past year. It's funny how people want to dog Quinn for his big game performances ... but never mention Russell's subpar showings.

It's a TEAM game ... and ND's defense flat out sucked, allowing even mediocre teams to stay in games.

Quinn the last 2 years vs. USC: 538 yards passing, 4 TD's vs. 1 Int ... 95 yards rushing and 1 TD. This past year ... ND had the exact same amount of total offense yardage as USC (404 yards apiece) and Quinn had 348 of those 404 yards with 3 scores and no Int's. However, the defense and special teams units allowed 44 points. Against the Leinart/Bush led Trojans the year before, he put them ahead and in position to win the game the last time he saw the field ... and the defense blew it, giving up a 60-yard catch to Jarrett on 4th & 15.

Quinn vs. UCLA (which shut down USC and was ranked top 10 nationally) ... 304 yards passing, 60% CP, 2 TD's vs. 0 Int.

Quinn vs. LSU prior to re-injuring his knee late in the 1st half: 115 yards passing, 2 TD's ... led them back from a 14-0 deficit. Played on a severely swollen knee in the 2nd half and it was said he shouldn't have been in the game ... but played because it was his final game.

Even in the Bowl game vs. OSU ... he threw for 290 yards and completed 65% of his passes with no turnovers despite being sacked 6 times and being pressured unmercifully for the entire game. That OSU D also featured 5 players drafted in the first 3 rounds.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
wait wait wait...if he can turn around a franchies, why couldn't he win a National Championship at ND?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
ccb04;1455783 said:
What the game film would show is the 4 TD's vs 6 Int's Russell threw against the 3 best defenses (Auburn, Tennessee, Florida) he faced this past year. It's funny how people want to dog Quinn for his big game performances ... but never mention Russell's subpar showings.

It's a TEAM game ... and ND's defense flat out sucked, allowing even mediocre teams to stay in games.

Quinn the last 2 years vs. USC: 538 yards passing, 4 TD's vs. 1 Int ... 95 yards rushing and 1 TD. This past year ... ND had the exact same amount of total offense yardage as USC (404 yards apiece) and Quinn had 348 of those 404 yards with 3 scores and no Int's. However, the defense and special teams units allowed 44 points. Against the Leinart/Bush led Trojans the year before, he put them ahead and in position to win the game the last time he saw the field ... and the defense blew it, giving up a 60-yard catch to Jarrett on 4th & 15.

Quinn vs. UCLA (which shut down USC and was ranked top 10 nationally) ... 304 yards passing, 60% CP, 2 TD's vs. 0 Int.

Quinn vs. LSU prior to re-injuring his knee late in the 1st half: 115 yards passing, 2 TD's ... led them back from a 14-0 deficit. Played on a severely swollen knee in the 2nd half and it was said he shouldn't have been in the game ... but played because it was his final game.

Even in the Bowl game vs. OSU ... he threw for 290 yards and completed 65% of his passes with no turnovers despite being sacked 6 times and being pressured unmercifully for the entire game. That OSU D also featured 5 players drafted in the first 3 rounds.
This has been disproven before. Against top defenses Russell performed much better than Brady Quinn.

ccb04

Reaction score
theogt;1455786 said:
This has been disproven before. Against top defenses Russell performed much better than Brady Quinn.

Really?

Here are Russell's career TD/Int stats vs. Florida, Auburn, and Tennessee.....

Vs. Florida: 3 TD's vs. 7 Int's

Vs. Auburn: 1 TD vs. 1 Int

Vs. Tennessee: 3 TD's vs. 4 Int's

Quinn's career TD/Int vs. ND's biggest rival (USC).....
6 TD's vs. 1 Int, 1 rush TD

Quinn played against the same Tennessee teams Russell did ... and played them the exact same amount of times as Russell did in his career (twice each) ... Quinn vs. Tennessee: 4 TD's vs. 0 Int's compared with Russell's 3 TD's and 4 Int's.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
ccb04;1455818 said:
Really?

Here are Russell's career TD/Int stats vs. Florida, Auburn, and Tennessee.....

Vs. Florida: 3 TD's vs. 7 Int's

Vs. Auburn: 1 TD vs. 1 Int

Vs. Tennessee: 3 TD's vs. 4 Int's

Quinn's career TD/Int vs. ND's biggest rival (USC).....
6 TD's vs. 1 Int, 1 rush TD

Quinn played against the same Tennessee teams Russell did ... and played them the exact same amount of times as Russell did in his career (twice each) ... Quinn vs. Tennessee: 4 TD's vs. 0 Int's compared with Russell's 3 TD's and 4 Int's.
Ok, I decided to look up the post:

theogt;1441773 said:
Strange that his biggest problem with Russell was his accuracy, yet he still has Quinn ranked 3rd. Quinn is often atrociously inaccurate, and Russell had a much higher completion percentage, despite playing against better competition.

Overall Passing Stats
Russell:
Completion percentage: 67.8
QB Rating: 167.03

Quinn:
Completion Percentage: 61.9
QB Rating: 146.65

Hmm, but Prisco might be making a good point. Those numbers may be inflated by playing against bad defenses. So let's look at the defenses that Russell and Quinn faced....

Average Opponent's Pass Defense Rank
Russell: 39.85
Quinn: 53.9

Number of Top 10 Pass Defenses Faced
Russell: 3 (2 other top 25 pass defenses)
Quinn: 1 (1 other top 25 pass defense)

Performance against top 25 Defenses:
Russell
Completion percentage: 71.6%
QB Rating: 267.56 (NCAA); 131.41 (NFL)

Quinn
Completion Percentage: 56.8%
QB Rating: 120.38(NCAA); 79.39(NFL)

So, which one performs poorly against good defenses?
Now could you please stop spreading this lie that Russell performed poorly against top defenses?

Q_the_man

Reaction score
Quinn crying about been the number 1 pick, with no defense at Notre dame, I guess almost every college QB can say the same thing............ what about stanton no defense,,,,,,,,,,, I guess the QB from Hawaii should be the #1 pick next year because his stats are better than Quinn's

ccb04

Reaction score
theogt;1455819 said:
Ok, I decided to look up the post:

Now could you please stop spreading this lie that Russell performed poorly against top defenses?

Lie? What, TD/INT ratios take on a lesser meaning when they don't aid your arguement?

Funny ... against an Ohio St. defense that ranked 5th in the nation in total defense and had 5 players drafted in the first 3 rounds (3 in the top 18) ... Quinn threw for 290 yards, completed 65% of his passes, and didn't turn the ball over despite being sacked 6 times and being pressured unmercifully the entire game. Yet some said (and still say) he had a horrible game based on the fact that he didn't throw a TD--forget that Samardzija dropped a ball early in the game ala TO in the Skins game--which would have put Quinn at roughly 340 yards passing with a chance for a TD. In any event, he did have a high completion percentage and nearly 300 yards passing. But now you're seemingly arguing the opposite of the TD theory ... as if TD vs. INT ratios don't matter as much ... and it's more about completion percentage instead.

And it's supposed to be impressive that Russell had a higher completion percentage in some games ... but in his career vs. Florida, Auburn, and Tennessee---he threw just 7 TD's vs. 12 Int's and that doesn't matter? To each his own ... but things gotta balance out somewhat IMO.

Number of Top 10 Pass Defenses Faced
Russell: 3 (2 other top 25 pass defenses)
Quinn: 1 (1 other top 25 pass defense)

The distinction needs to be made between actual "top 10 pass defenses" and "top 10 teams with a pass defense". For instance ... Notre Dame was ranked 11th when they faced LSU---but had the 60th ranked pass defense. BIG difference. How bad was ND's secondary? Air Force QB Shaun Carney (all 5-10 & 190-lbs. of em') completed 82.4% of his passes with 2 TD's and 0 INT's against them. :lmao2:

Last years (2006) top 10 defenses against the pass (NCAA pass defense rankings).....

#1: Virginia Tech
#2: Wisconsin
#3: LSU
#4: Florida Int'l
#5: Georgia
#6: Rutgers
#7: Army
#8: Wyoming
#9: Miami (Ohio)
#10: Kent St.

Based on the above list, Quinn faced 2 top 10 pass defenses in 2006 alone...and Russell faced zero. If going by teams ranked in the top 10 instead ... Quinn faced 3 in 2006 alone (Michigan, USC, LSU) ... throwing 8 TD's vs. 5 INT's in those 3 games compared to Russell, who threw 1 TD vs. 3 INT's against the two top 10 teams he faced in 06'---Florida and Auburn.

Performance against top 25 Defenses:
Russell
Completion percentage: 71.6%
QB Rating: 267.56 (NCAA); 131.41 (NFL)

Again, the distinction must be made between actual "top 25 defenses based on total defense rankings" and "teams ranked in the top 25". Sometimes the total defense ranking and poll ranking are similar ... and other times they're not. Notre Dame was ranked 11th when they faced LSU (as previously noted) ... but their defense ranked 65th in total defense. Again, BIG difference.

Actual top 25 defenses faced by both in 2006 (based on NCAA's total defense rankings).....

LSU (#3 total defense) 2 TD vs. 2 INT (played the entire 2nd half on a severely swollen knee that he originally injured late in the USC game ... and re-injured late in the 1st half of the bowl game.) It was said he shouldn't have played in the 2nd half and ND's b/u QB was shown warming up before and after the half ... but he stayed in because it was his last game. In the first half he had the majority of his passing yards (114 of 148)...2 TD's vs. 1 INT...and brought them back from a 14-0 deficit.)

Michigan (#10 total defense) 3 TD's vs. 3 Int's

Penn St. (#15 total defense) 3 TD's vs. 0 Int's

USC (#20 total defense) 3 TD's vs. 0 Int's

Total: 11 TD's vs. 5 INT's ... Quinn completed less than 60% of his passes in 3 of 4 games.

Russell faced.....

Florida (#6 total defense) 1 TD vs. 3 INT's

Auburn (#19 total defense) 0 TD vs. 0 INT

Alabama (#23) 3 TD's vs. 0 INT

Total: 4 TD's vs. 3 Int's ... Russell completed less than 60% of his passes in 2 of 3 games.

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
Personally I think Quinn will be a better pro. People fall in love with college QBs arms all the time and a lot of times they just don't pan out. I'm not saying that I think Russell will be a total bust, but I do think Quinn is better and I do think that the Raiders should pass on Jamarcus and take Calvin Johnson.

burmafrd

Reaction score
ccb04, good job in digging all that up. But it will not help with guys like OGT, who have their minds made up and will never admit they are wrong no matter how many facts you throw at them. People really do not want to admit they hate ND and instead they abuse their players every chance they get. Look how little was talked about Smith in the NC game sucking totally- it was barely mentioned- and then all this about well he was rushed all night and Ginn was injured, etc. As you mentioned, BQ had a bad knee and SHOULD not have played the second half of the LSU game. BUT is that ever mentioned?
How often is it mentioned how horrible the Irish O line was at pass blocking last year? Or McKnight doing a great TO impression with dropping balls right and left (and more then a few in critical situations). Russell had every advantage- much better O line; great D; much less pressure and spotlight.
I think he will be a real good QB- might even be great- you never know. BUT no one can say that any other QB is more ready to start right now n the Pros then BQ. Before his senior year he said his goals wereNC, Heisman and #1 pick in that order. The first two did not pan out, so he really wants that last one- though I think deep down he wants NOTHING to do with the mess that is oakland right now.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
HomeOfLegends;1455665 said:
Your right, it was not crying. It more typical Quinn "HEY LOOK AT ME"

LOL yep! Face it Brady! You're not going #1 dude. Get over yourself!

GlitzCowboy

Reaction score
I'd take Quinn anyday of the week over Russell, I just see that much of a difference between the two. It'd be no question. And what he says here, I believe him, he can turn a team around. This isn't him trying to sell himself, it's Quinn stating what will soon be fact I believe. This is him already taking a leadership role before ever getting drafted, before ever knowing what team he'll wind up on. Forget about everything where qbs are concerned, all you really need to do is look in their eyes. Like with Aikman, like with Payton, like with Carson Palmer. They come around very seldomly, but when they do you immediately know. Russel is nothing more than a pipe-dream, ala Vick, ala McNabb, ala Culpepper- a player that will for some ungodly reason be asked to do it all and then not beable to produce the winning results in the end. I seriously believe in this Quinn kid now! Him making these statements is the smartest and most direct thing I've ever seen from a prospect coming out of the draft. I see a general emerging.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
"JaMarcus obviously is a big kid with a strong arm. But I'm a big kid with a strong arm and much more," he said. "I'm not as big as him. I'm a little leaner. But I've played four years, started the past four years and been through a lot."
I hope that Quinn was baited into saying this or this was somehow taken out of context.

It is stupid for Quinn to comment on this. It isn't his job to compare himself to Russell.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
i hope Quinn falls on his face in the NFL, i've met the guy at a football dinner and he's a cocky, arrogant, overrated quarterback that overhypes himself.

burmafrd

Reaction score
In this day and age if you do not sell yourself then who will? Its a sign of the times. So sport78, you meet the kid for one night and he is as far as you are concerned a total loser. That says more about you then him.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
burmafrd;1455888 said:
In this day and age if you do not sell yourself then who will? Its a sign of the times. So sport78, you meet the kid for one night and he is as far as you are concerned a total loser. That says more about you then him.

dude why the need to get personal? u have to be kidding me, you don't even know me man

burmafrd

Reaction score
BUT you drown BQ because of one short occasion when you were in the same room. So what makes you think you know HIM?

Reaction score
TheSport78;1455881 said:
i hope Quinn falls on his face in the NFL, i've met the guy at a football dinner and he's a cocky, arrogant, overrated quarterback that overhypes himself.

Well regardless if he does fall flat on his face, he will land on about 20 million dollars of guaranteed cash.