Brandon Carr facts

Kaiser

Reaction score

Kaiser

Reaction score
1. He started at safety for the team with the best record in the NFL last year.

2. He's a better safety than Haha Clinton-Dix, Donovan Wilson and Darian Thompson.

3. He never misses games.

4. He's a good locker room presence.

5. He can still play cornerback as well if we need.

Is he as good as Earl Thomas? No. But he's better than what we have. That's an net positive. I'll take it.

(And I still hope we sign Earl Thomas.)

6. He will play for 1 Million this season. We don't know ET's current ask, but his cap hit for the Ravens was going to be 15 Million this season. No matter what, if you can get a starting caliber player for 1MM, you do it. He also won't even take up a roster spot because of the quirk in this year's rules.

Big_D

Reaction score
Carr on the practice squad is a brilliant move. They can activate him twice before he would have to clear waivers again and repeat the process. Veteran depth while sparing a roster spot.

Johnny23

Reaction score
Carr signed with the Cowboys in 2012. He had 6 interceptions his first 2 seasons.

Kiffen and Rod took over in 2014. Brandon Carr Had 1 interception his final 3 seasons.

Carr joined Baltimore in 2017 and had 4 interceptions that year, 2 the following year and 0 last year.

If people don’t like Carr because of what he did here, coaching was a big reason why he struggled so much here, IMO.
Exactly. Brandon is a good football player and team guy. Always has been. He's willing to do whatever he is asked to do. He was never a fit for the Kiffin/marinelli scheme. I also think he's more a number 2 and not having a guy like Brandon Flowers to have his back hurt.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Apparently, the coaches think he's better than Earl Thomas or ET would be here.

Give up the dream. The Cowboys aren't signing ET.
It's not that they think he's better, it's that they think he's more right for what they're going to ask him to do.

He's going to be playing man against TEs, which is what he did with Bal last year. Asking ET to do that is not what would get the most out of him.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I really like the Carr addition as a chess piece. But he doesn't solve the puzzle left at starting S.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
Carr was a necessary signing because you do NOT want Darian Thompson to get meaningful snaps and there is no guarantee that Xavier Woods will be good to go this Sunday as of now.

kskboys

Reaction score
Apparently, the coaches think he's better than Earl Thomas or ET would be here.

Give up the dream. The Cowboys aren't signing ET.
Or, they went w/ the cheaper option. It's not about who the coaches think is better w/ FA's, it's who has the most value for the dollar.

Kaiser

Reaction score
No, it doesn't. Not even a little bit.

This reeks of us trying out a cheap option. That's it.

The version of this last year would have been "We lost Cole Beasley, we have to throw money at Golden Tate (or Antonio Brown)"

They signed Randall Cobb and he put up better numbers than either one. But not until there were a dozen threads here complaining about it.

Praxit

Reaction score
..big fact. ;)
giphy.gif

Williamsboys

Reaction score
I told everyone we should have cloned Darren Woodson when we had the chance.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I feel like we're headed for another 2018 WR by committee scenario here....leading to a move out of desperation midway thru the season.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
It's not that they think he's better, it's that they think he's more right for what they're going to ask him to do.

He's going to be playing man against TEs, which is what he did with Bal last year. Asking ET to do that is not what would get the most out of him.

So that would mean he's better. You have defined "better" in a way differently than I.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Or, they went w/ the cheaper option. It's not about who the coaches think is better w/ FA's, it's who has the most value for the dollar.

Here's my response to gimmesix

If he was better for them, he would be here.
I didn't define better; you did.
Carr could be either or all better attitudinally, physically, financially and fit.

jsb357

Reaction score
is a fact they are desperate and don't trust the guys they got to get the job done

DenCWBY

Reaction score
1. He started at safety for the team with the best record in the NFL last year.

2. He's a better safety than Haha Clinton-Dix, Donovan Wilson and Darian Thompson.

3. He never misses games.

4. He's a good locker room presence.

5. He can still play cornerback as well if we need.

Is he as good as Earl Thomas? No. But he's better than what we have. That's an net positive. I'll take it.

(And I still hope we sign Earl Thomas.)
One negative is he's a terrible tackler.

Knotamus

Reaction score
He just signed, so he may only be on the practice squad until he gets up to speed.

Exactly. Not sure why it’s hard for some to get this. Dallas is just using the new practice squad rules to their advantage.. and they should. Carr hasn’t practiced, needs to get in game shape, learn the playbook, and it gives the coaches a chance to see what he can do at practice squad salary. Better yet, a veterans salary isn’t guaranteed after week 1.

All the while, the younger guys that have been practicing, know the scheme, and have shown glimpses of what they can do.. they have a chance to prove it. If Carr looks adequate, then he’ll be added in a week or two. Maybe as a safety, maybe as CB insurance. Either way, he’s a very good role model, dependable, and definitely better than any other 4th safety or 6th CB than the rest of the league. Its not rocket science folks.