Brandon Weeden on time with Cowboys: 'It wasn't like I stunk it up in Dallas

mattjames2010

Reaction score
What's ridiculous is the Texans were in disarray at the beginning of the season..

They were 1-4 to start the season and are now on their 3rd string QB... Even Yates wasn't their starting QB, Hoyer was..

But apparently only Garrett faces circumstances that can prevent him from winning..

And apparently, you still make the same post in dozens of threads a day.

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/jerry-garrett-rant-zone.57/

Enjoy.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This guy does nothing but feel sorry for himself and make excuses. It's incredibly annoying.

He's really just sticking up for himself and his performance. Kinda hard to get mad at him for that. He doesn't have a responsibility to agree that he sucks just because people think he sucks.

khiladi

Reaction score
Teams lose games for lots of reasons. Many of them aren't related to the coaching, and even when they are, there are generally compound circumstances that lead up to teams falling short. Which is what we've seen in Dallas this season, whether people want to acknowledge that like reasonable adults ought to, or not.
Bad QB play and all, we've been in position to win every realistically winnable game. And that includes the GB game, which was a one-score deal with 5 minutes left to play.

Because of our defense...

mattjames2010

Reaction score
He's really just sticking up for himself and his performance. Kinda hard to get mad at him for that. He doesn't have a responsibility to agree that he sucks just because people think he sucks.

Actually, it's pretty easy to get annoyed. He obviously doesn't have the confidence or the ability when he's on the field. The people who lack awareness and hardly ever criticize themselves, I've noticed, are the ones who tend to never get better.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...den-feels-unlucky-confident-in-his-abilities/

“Norv Turner told me a long time ago when we were sitting in the [Browns] quarterback meeting, and he said, ‘Brandon, I don’t know what you have done to whoever, but you’ve got the worst luck of any player I have been around.’ I have, ever since I was a little kid,” Weeden said, via the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “I don’t know what I did. But it is what it is. I’m never going to lose confidence in my ability. I wouldn’t be here and put in this position if I couldn’t play this position. You’ve just got to clean it up — the little things that maybe I missed today.”

Yes, this annoys me. The dude is full of self-pity.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
What's ridiculous is the Texans were in disarray at the beginning of the season..

They were 1-4 to start the season and are now on their 3rd string QB... Even Yates wasn't their starting QB, Hoyer was..

But apparently only Garrett faces circumstances that can prevent him from winning..

Hoyer was pulled their first game for Mallett. Hoyer's first pass was to a Chief very deep in Texans territory.

they won't ask much of Weeden. He was ok last Sunday. They need that franchise QB desperately

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
This guy does nothing but feel sorry for himself and make excuses. It's incredibly annoying.

What's worse is that he is still in our heads and he's gone. Gone.

Like he has anything to do with the failure after he was benched which is pretty damn significant on it's own, yet gets ignored for the most part.

There is a ton, I mean a ton, of displaced anger to him.

He was awful.

But people like you concentrate on him instead of the very people who kept him employed for TWO years.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
What's worse is that he is still in our heads and he's gone. Gone.

Like he has anything to do with the failure after he was benched which is pretty damn significant on it's own, yet gets ignored for the most part.

There is a ton, I mean a ton, of displaced anger to him.

He was awful.

But people like you concentrate on him instead of the very people who kept him employed for TWO years.

What exactly am I supposed to be ranting about? Jerry Jones? He's here to stay, you've been *****ing about him for 20 years. It's pointless to complain about. That's for you and others to do in the rant zone, that's where you take your childish hissy fits in bliss.

I criticize Weeden not just for his play but for his attitude. Also, this is a thread about Weeden, it's relevant. I don't derail multiple threads talking about him.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
What exactly am I supposed to be ranting about? Jerry Jones? He's here to stay, you've been *****ing about him for 20 years. It's pointless to complain about. That's for you and others to do in the rant zone, that's where you take your childish hissy fits in bliss.

So your hissy fit about a bad player is any more rational? In what reality?

Gripe about his red hair, his eyes too close together, the arrogance you think he is displaying while he wins games with another team.

He's gone. I guess you think it makes more sense to complain about something that happened and is over than something that continues to be inflicted upon you day after day, year after year. Less painful and certainly more out of touch with the current state of the team.

I criticize Weeden not just for his play but for his attitude. Also, this is a thread about Weeden, it's relevant. I don't derail multiple threads talking about him.

His attitude after he is gone is equally irrelevant. Why do you care so much? Could it be because you think deep down he might actually be a little bit right?

Me? I don't care what any former player says. Once they are gone, see ya.

I focus on the real problems that are real and will continue to be problems. Not the echoes of the past.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Move over, Roger Staubach and Troy Aikman. Brandon Weeden is the greatest quarterback in the history of the Dallas Cowboys. Perhaps you guys sense a teeny weeny bit of sarcasm on my part.

dallasdave

Reaction score
Move over, Roger Staubach and Troy Aikman. Brandon Weeden is the greatest quarterback in the history of the Dallas Cowboys. Perhaps you guys sense a teeny weeny bit of sarcasm on my part.

Wait just a minute, you forgot to put Matt Cassel in that list of great QB's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mattjames2010

Reaction score
So your hissy fit about a bad player is any more rational? In what reality?

Gripe about his red hair, his eyes too close together, the arrogance you think he is displaying while he wins games with another team.

He's gone. I guess you think it makes more sense to complain about something that happened and is over than something that continues to be inflicted upon you day after day, year after year. Less painful and certainly more out of touch with the current state of the team.

His attitude after he is gone is equally irrelevant. Why do you care so much? Could it be because you think deep down he might actually be a little bit right?

Me? I don't care what any former player says. Once they are gone, see ya.

I focus on the real problems that are real and will continue to be problems. Not the echoes of the past.

I criticized his comment, which is exactly what this thread is about. I have no reason to derail this thread and go on about how Jerry Jones/Garrett sucks, it's irrelevant.

Oh, Weeden won a game? Wow! On 18 pass attempts by scoring 16 points. Cassle also won us a game.

And good, don't care about what former players say or do. You still opened this thread and decided to post a comment. Fancy that.

Dodger12

Reaction score
It's interesting to note that people who dislike statistics are those whose opinions are destroyed by statistics and have no ability to dispute them. Statistics are an organized set of data or information that cannot be ignored, refuted or disagreed with and that's why many don't like them. Statistics evaporate B.S.

And yet you were a huge Murray supporter and lamented when Randle was given the starting nod yet he was better than Murray in some statistical categories like YPA. Statistics are great but when you are selective about which stats to use to prove your point and disregard others, you defeat your own argument. You completely disregarded 0 and 11 for Weeden; why is that? That should be enough of a sample size to give us some indication that's a really poor veteran QB.

In addition, I can appreciate you looking at the stats but using those stats without taking into account the completely inadequate play on the field undermines your point. I mean, when statistics are used as your main barometer and those statistics show that Weeden was a better QB than Romo who led the team to most of their wins, then you have to admit that the statistical basis you are using to evaluate Weeden and form your opinion is highly flawed and you need to look deeper.

I know what I saw. Other fans know what they saw. They saw statistics that were inflated by his constant checkdowns and inability go through his progressions and hit the open receiver downfield. It was absolutely maddening. Now go back to pimping Weeden and keep making yourself look foolish.

plasticman

Reaction score
Romo is supposed to lead the Cowboys to victory, he's the starter and was the #1 rated passer last season. He had been on the team for a decade, the offense is designed for his strengths. I concur that Romo is more productive than his backup, isn't that the whole point to being the starter? I'm saying Weeden did not do poorly, He is not the reason those games were lost. The team failed to provide him any support whatsoever.

You keep wanting to compare Murray with the Eagles to Randle with the Cowboys, it's apples and oranges. Murray is playing with a new O-line, a new QB, a new offense, and a new coaching staff. Of course he is struggling. Their whole team is struggling with the lack of familiarity.

What annoys me are opinions based on nothing,

The suggestion that Brandon was awful just contradicts the facts. I'm going to go over the facts again and I'm going to make those stats relevant by breaking them down into the specific situations.

The guy completed 23 of his first 24 passes for 251 yards, a 11 yard average. In the Falcon game two of Randle's TD's are from the 1 yard line, both after 20 yard passes by Weeden, one on 3rd down. It's 28-14 Cowboys when the defense goes to sleep wit 46 seconds remaining in the half.

In the 2nd half the Cowboys start ahead 28-17. On their first possession of the half Witten draws a 5 yards penalty, then Free gets a 10 yard penalty. It's 2nd and 26, then 3rd and 23. They punt. The defense gets lit up by Julio and now its 28-25. Weeden's INT sets up one TD, but he led them to 28. That makes him awful in his first start as a Cowboy?

On the next drive, Randle's three carries nets -4 yards. Weeden is a freakin' backup, is it too much to ask for a little help? The defense is getting molested by Julio Jones, Randle can't even find the meat on the bone.

There's an offensive penalty every other play. Weeden didn't lose this game and I even have to question what good Romo might have done. In the prior two weeks before his injury, Romo led the Cowboys to 33 points in six and a half quarters, or an average of 5 points a quarter.

Anyway, the Cowboys punt and the Eagles proceed to take seven and a half minutes off the clock. They end the drive with a TD and its now 28-32.

The next drive starts out with a 1 yard run so its obvious the next two plays are passes. Nobody open so he dumps it to Beasley for six instead of doing what the other three quartebacks have done this season. He could have thrown it in panic, every other quarterback this season threw more INT's in one game than he did in three games. He could have tossed the INT on 3rd down but he takes the sack.

With no pass rush, no Hardy, no Gregory, no McClain, the defense folds as the Falcons go down the field again and scores, it's 28-39 with three minutes in the game.

The Falcons score 39 points and Weeden is supposed to match that? A backup quarterback is expected to carry the team with a depleted defense, their All Pro WR hurt, and a pathetic running game? And he's the one who sucks?

Three minutes left, the WR's can't get open so he has to complete 4 passes in a row to his RB and TE, the game is over, the guy is getting zero help from his team. On 3rd and 1 he is sacked.

Against the Saints Weweden is 16-26-246-1TD-0INT. It is one of only two games this season without a single turnover. Seven of his ten incompletions were to Terrance Williams.

The defense gives up 335 yards passing and 438 total offense. What is Weeden supposed to do, play cornerback for them too?

But with 4 minutes left and down by 7 in the game Weeden has the ball on the Cowboys 9 yard line thanks to Beasley's fair catch. Game over, right? Weeden sucks, right?

Wrong. He drives them all the way down the field with passes of 24, 28, 19, and 17 yards for the tying TD.

Not that it matters. During the combined 1:57 of the 4th quarter, the Cowboys defense gives up 148 yards in two drives on 9 plays. Weeden never gets back on the field.

Where was the defense? Where was the running game, Randle and McFadden combine for 57 yards on 21 carries, a 2.7 yards average...half the Saints defense is a bunch of rookies.

What was Weeden supposed to do when he can't even get on the field? He went 91 yards at the end of the 4th quarter, every yard from his arm, he did his job. He was the only guy that day that didn't suck.

So now a fourth of the season is done and after 4 games:

Weeden is the 5th rated passer in the NFL, behind Dalton, Roethlesberger, Rogers and Brady.

He's averaging 9.3 yards per attempt, 3rd best in the league.

He has completed 76.3% of his passes, 2nd best. He has thown more passes than Roethlesberger who is 1st.

McFadden and Randle combine for a 2.8 yards average carry after the 1st quarter.

The defense has been scored on more than any other team.

Terrance Williams, now the primary WR, has caught 12 of the 27 passes thrown his way, a 44% rate.

The Cowboy defense is 2nd to last in takeaways.

This is the help Weeden gets going into the 5th game against the defending Super Bowl champions.

"Weeden didn't do enough to help win"......Gimme a break.

In the Patriot game:

Weeden is 26-39-188-0-1.

He is also the 2nd leading rusher with 18 yards. Randle leads with 60 yards.

Williams catches 2 of the 6 passes thrown his way.

The Cowboys keep it close until a few minutes left before the half when Edelman and Brady take over.

Weeden's 2nd and last INT as a Cowboy comes in the 4th quarter with the game out of reach 27-6.

The following week McFadden is named the new starter after running for 152 yards. The Cowboys finally get a running game, not that it helps Weeden. He is benched in favor of a quarterback that throws three consecutive 2nd half INT's.

That's what happened.

Many of you don't like stats. You prefer to "trust your eyes." Your eyes aren't the problem. You beleive that Weeden stinks when, in fact, it's your memory that stinks.