Video: Breaking down 3 Free Agent Safeties that could help the Cowboys

quickccc

Reaction score
Hate the Sherman idea

this is the year to actually address defensive problems head on and actually solve them rather than put a band aid on them

I would sign one of Simmons/Maye/Harris

sign Dalvin Tomlinson

these 2 signings actually solve out biggest issues

then you draft a DT and a couple of LBs early and you actually have a really really good defense

With the NFL draft being such a crap shoot gamble, and the point that you cannot fill every hole and void by the NFL draft,.. and it seems to much of a point that its too hard to get around
the Stephen Jones stingy cap method of FA spending. (and that's what helped put us where we are with so many need areas)

That's why it pays to be innovative, despite Stephen Jones.
That's why you have to have some stopgaps along the way, to some degree- and depend upon serviceable-decent play while you await on a long term answer to this/that need area.

So long as those decent to some decent level, while we develop the younger long term guys, that is why I didn't mind signing a Gerald McCoy, Clinton Dix or Aldon Smith
that you hope could anchor it down while we develop the youngers ones and they are ready to emerge as starters,..

the Sherman to safety is a stop gap, cheaper bargain gamble ..until we can find better. but the way we seem to approach Free agency and NFL draft,.. short term band aids seem to
play out in the longer term in the Jones era. whether father or son running the show.

quickccc

Reaction score
100% fair and accurate but the knock on Wilson at Aggieville was he made big plays but busted far too many.
He also had benefit of his collegiate position coach last year.

I am really hopeful for Wilson long term but if he gives us 3 starting seasons as XWoods did that is a huge win.

yeh but in the same sense, its' a reason why his collegiate coach is gone now. And not just to another NFL team but back to the college ranks.

whatever coverage issues Wilson has now, we'll have to await and see if those issues can be shored up at the NFL level now, assuming we prove
to have much more capable coaching, ...and while also Donovan continues to gain more game experience at the NFL level.

visionary

Reaction score
With the NFL draft being such a crap shoot gamble, and the point that you cannot fill every hole and void by the NFL draft,.. and it seems to much of a point that its too hard to get around
the Stephen Jones stingy cap method of FA spending. (and that's what helped put us where we are with so many need areas)

That's why it pays to be innovative, despite Stephen Jones.
That's why you have to have some stopgaps along the way, to some degree- and depend upon serviceable-decent play while you await on a long term answer to this/that need area.

So long as those decent to some decent level, while we develop the younger long term guys, that is why I didn't mind signing a Gerald McCoy, Clinton Dix or Aldon Smith
that you hope could anchor it down while we develop the youngers ones and they are ready to emerge as starters,..

the Sherman to safety is a stop gap, cheaper bargain gamble ..until we can find better. but the way we seem to approach Free agency and NFL draft,.. short term band aids seem to
play out in the longer term in the Jones era. whether father or son running the show.

I don’t agree
If we are signing Dak to a 4 year deal we need to move our chips to the center of the table and take some bold steps and actually fix things rather than go with stop gaps and rebuilding

as I’ve said before

get one of Simmons/Maye/Harris to solve the FS issue

get Dalvin Tomlinson to play 1T DT and solve that issue

then go into the draft attempting to get 1 starting caliber 3T (Barmore or Nixon) and 2 starting caliber LBs

with this group at front 7 and safety our current CBS (if we resign one of Awuzie or Lewis) are enough . Can also pick up some bigger CBS in rds 3-4

now you have a real defense that has a chance to be solid

with the picks we have and the possibility of trade down this is not pie in the sky. This can be done. The only question is, will we actually do what is needed or will we continue to tread water with band aids in FA and CBs in the draft

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
yeh but in the same sense, its' a reason why his collegiate coach is gone now. And not just to another NFL team but back to the college ranks.

whatever coverage issues Wilson has now, we'll have to await and see if those issues can be shored up at the NFL level now, assuming we prove
to have much more capable coaching, ...and while also Donovan continues to gain more game experience at the NFL level.
He looked his best last year in a 4-3 pseudo LB role.
It is very possible he can be a quality box safety for us.
But we probably need some other SS type as well in case he isn't.
Last year's safety depth chart just wasn't it in any way.

quickccc

Reaction score
I
He looked his best last year in a 4-3 pseudo LB role.
It is very possible he can be a quality box safety for us.
But we probably need some other SS type as well in case he isn't.
Last year's safety depth chart just wasn't it in any way.

when did that happened ? I recalled Wilson hardly even played per special teams as Kris Richard preferred to have D. Thompson instead, to which Thompson
got frequently spun in coverage.

Ironically even Wilson's collegiate coach new to the defense this past year, apparently had a difficult time starting Wilson over Thompson, until they had no choice with
Thompsons poor play early on as well.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I don’t agree
If we are signing Dak to a 4 year deal we need to move our chips to the center of the table and take some bold steps and actually fix things rather than go with stop gaps and rebuilding

as I’ve said before

get one of Simmons/Maye/Harris to solve the FS issue

get Dalvin Tomlinson to play 1T DT and solve that issue

then go into the draft attempting to get 1 starting caliber 3T (Barmore or Nixon) and 2 starting caliber LBs

with this group at front 7 and safety our current CBS (if we resign one of Awuzie or Lewis) are enough . Can also pick up some bigger CBS in rds 3-4

now you have a real defense that has a chance to be solid

with the picks we have and the possibility of trade down this is not pie in the sky. This can be done. The only question is, will we actually do what is needed or will we continue to tread water with band aids in FA and CBs in the draft
I'm on board with this.

If they want to salvage whats left of guys like Tyron
and Martin....then even more so.

They do rely entirely way too much on only the draft and FA who have nothing left.

Whoever is making the calls as far as playing time didn't seem all that interested in trusting rookies. We can try to pin that on MM, but the last regime was equally stubborn with getting younger guys on the field.

That's quite the combination....FO wants to build through the draft but the staff doesn't want to play rookies that weren't high picks.

Anyway, yeah....they need to go out and add what's needed here via real FA and try to win while the division is still a mess.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
You're one of the few that get it :clap:

Hate the Sherman idea

this is the year to actually address defensive problems head on and actually solve them rather than put a band aid on them

I would sign one of Simmons/Maye/Harris

sign Dalvin Tomlinson

these 2 signings actually solve out biggest issues

then you draft a DT and a couple of LBs early and you actually have a really really good defense

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
You're really funny. I've pointing things out about the cap to people like you going all the way back to the problems since the year the cap started. What you think on making cap room is the EXACT reason the Cowboys were in cap he11 for two decades. Jones went out and bought all the players the Cowboys needed to win 3 Super Bowls, paying backups starting pay to get them or keep them happy being a backup. The Cowboys had by far the biggest payroll in the league and then the cap started. So the Cowboys had to let some players walk others he had to restructure their contracts just to get under the cap and then had to do a couple more to have cap space to sign their draft choices. All this restructuring like what you want to do, put a ton of dead money on the cap a couple years down the road. Now the Cowboys every year had to restructure contracts to have cap space to resign their own players they felt they had to keep adding more dead money a couple years down the road, still also having to let some walk away. This vicious cycle went on for a couple of decades until Stephen took over contracts and stopped that practice, but now you think it's some big idea to start that again. Thanks but no thanks. The Cowboys suffered through that once already and they don't need to do that again.

Yep, you have no clue. The cap workings of today are nothing like the cap workings of 25 years ago. Fact is you can always kick the can further down the road since the cap keeps going up. The league gets their greatest amount of money from the TV deals and they are expected to go up exponentially. And what Steven has been doing the last few years in being "cap conscious" is exactly what I am talking about in redoing deals now. They have built these contracts to do exactly this. It's not some panic move. It is by design. Now the thing is there are some contracts they could do it to but it would not make sense because the feeling is that the player is not going to be around to the end of the contract. For guys that you do expect to be here, it is kind of a no brainer. So deals like Tank and Martin are almost a lock to be redone. The guys that likely won't get redone are Jaylon, Zeke and Tyron. Cooper is probably a bubble deal, could go either way. But regardless, we have the ability to easily make cap room. If it keeps us from resigning jags like Crawford or letting go of overpriced vets like Chris Jones, then so be it. We have seen we can get the same performance level and maybe even better from street free agents. Your take is laughable.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Imho, Woods was terrible this year. He avoided tackles multiple times. I'd say let him walk and draft a safety that wants to play. I do think Wilson is a great option to field one safety spot. The kid has heart.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
The Cowboys approach at the safety position needs to change heading into the 2021 off season. With only one safety under contract the team has a ton of confidence in as a starter (Donovan Wilson), free agency could provide the other if the Cowboys decide to make a play. Here are some options to keep an eye on.

Its very possible the way the Cowboys operate they will just draft a guy but who do you think could be a good free agent safety pick up?

Byron Jones is the typical example of how this team seems to operate.

He is drafted #1 and was not a high level rated DB at the time.

So what we do is move him all over the field at the safety positions and he is considered a bust.

He was about to be cut until Richards came here and moved him to CB where he went Pro Bowl and then priced himself out of the Dallas Organization.

That is my point. Even when we have a blue chip guy we do not know where to play him. I realize those coaches are now gone.

Things should improve across the back end of the defense via draft and FA. But I would not bet the house on the defense really gets better until we install the new players and get the defense reps.

We also have problem in the LBers. I will not drone on about Wolf Hunter and Jaylon and Lee. We know the liabilities and know 2 guys would help..maybe a high draft pick and a FA signing.

But we are about to drop a big investment in the defense.

Are we really equipped with the coaches to make these choices?

I just have not a clue.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Yep, you have no clue. The cap workings of today are nothing like the cap workings of 25 years ago. Fact is you can always kick the can further down the road since the cap keeps going up. The league gets their greatest amount of money from the TV deals and they are expected to go up exponentially. And what Steven has been doing the last few years in being "cap conscious" is exactly what I am talking about in redoing deals now. They have built these contracts to do exactly this. It's not some panic move. It is by design. Now the thing is there are some contracts they could do it to but it would not make sense because the feeling is that the player is not going to be around to the end of the contract. For guys that you do expect to be here, it is kind of a no brainer. So deals like Tank and Martin are almost a lock to be redone. The guys that likely won't get redone are Jaylon, Zeke and Tyron. Cooper is probably a bubble deal, could go either way. But regardless, we have the ability to easily make cap room. If it keeps us from resigning jags like Crawford or letting go of overpriced vets like Chris Jones, then so be it. We have seen we can get the same performance level and maybe even better from street free agents. Your take is laughable.

You think you have it all figured out but here's what you don't have figured out. The only way to renegotiate contracts is to either turn salary into bonus money that they they get all or the lion's share of that bonus money up front or still moving salary to bonus money but fully guarantee instead of writing that check. Now if their player starts to fall off at some point down the road and they want to move them by trade or releasing, doing so leaves dead money on the cap. Players that have the "outs" after a coupe of years agree to those because they know that if it gets renegotiated then they'll get another big check or the money is completely guaranteed. If released instead of restructuring they know they will be able to cash in on some other team. This is why Stephen has cut way way way back on restructuring contracts. Oh and there has been many years where the gain in cap space has only risen just a little and not exponentially that you think it has. Also all the team know that next years cap will actually go down and right now they are unsure if there will be any increase for 2022. Talk about having no clue, you just proved you don't have.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Fat Garrett is going to want damarious randall because he was drafted by green bay. Lets be honest