Breaking down Center Brock Hoffman and Guard TJ Bass

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Exactly. This is why I've been saying for the past month+, Cowboys can draft an OT and C/G in the mid-to-late rounds. It's better to use our early round picks on playmakers needed at WR, RB, LB and/or DT.
You need OL that were elite in college ball.

Those are players that are All American and/or 1st team Conf.

Stay away from scrubs.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
this is why I feel we wont have to take a lineman early. MM has shown he has an eye for lineman
Big Mike doesn’t get a say in acquiring players.

It’s all Stephen and Will.

Example: they didn't even call him when the Lance trade was made.

plymkr

Reaction score
Brock Hoffman breakdown

Brock Hoffman and TJ Bass breakdown

There might be hope staying in-house with filling vacant holes on the Cowboys offensive line.

:starspin:

Thanks for posting the videos. It’s encouraging seeing these films. I’m not as worried about losing BDZ as much as Tyron Smith. T is something we need and I feel comfortable with Bass and Hofman manning the C position. The good news is they are both flexible and can play C or G. T is still a concern. I’m not 100% comfortable with Tyler, Bass, Hofman, Martin and Steele. I’d like to draft a T then go with Rookie OT, Tyler, Bass/Hofman, Martin and Steele.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
You need OL that were elite in college ball.

Those are players that are All American and/or 1st team Conf.

Stay away from scrubs.
One doesn't have to be only All American or 1st team Conference to be considered a good Olineman. There are very good ones who got selected 2nd team or Honorable Mention in their conferences who are pretty good as well, especially if they come from one of the top Big School conferences.

plymkr

Reaction score
I also want to throw in that Bass and Hofman were UDFA that showed more than Mazi and Schoon. I’ve been saying, almost OCD, that we win in the trenches. Getting 2 contributors in the trenches helps take the sting out of the Mazi and Schoon lack of production.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Exactly. This is why I've been saying for the past month+, Cowboys can draft an OT and C/G in the mid-to-late rounds. It's better to use our early round picks on playmakers needed at WR, RB, LB and/or DT.
I would draft a big RB in late rounds. I think we get three 5th round comp picks. Get DT or OT or LB. Best one on the board. Unless there is a absolute stud at another position we should stick with those positions of need.

SFloridaCowboy

Reaction score
When Tyron Smith was selected, we desperately needed a stud OT. We bypassed JJ Watt. I would do the same again, but never Taco Charlton over TJ Watt. We need a star LT. One may be available at 24. There is a low bust rate on star offensive linemen in first round. Let Hoffman and Bass fight it out for center. The other will back-up both center and guard. This Mims OT has huge upside, very long arms and athletic, a monster. Draft him and sign him right away. Get him to work immediately in learning the Cowboys' system. I liked the draft when it took place soon after the Super bowl because you could take a draftee and give him lots of training before the season.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
One doesn't have to be only All American or 1st team Conference to be considered a good Olineman. There are very good ones who got selected 2nd team or Honorable Mention in their conferences who are pretty good as well, especially if they come from one of the top Big School conferences.
Sure.

But why take a chance.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
When Tyron Smith was selected, we desperately needed a stud OT. We bypassed JJ Watt. I would do the same again, but never Taco Charlton over TJ Watt. We need a star LT. One may be available at 24. There is a low bust rate on star offensive linemen in first round. Let Hoffman and Bass fight it out for center. The other will back-up both center and guard. This Mims OT has huge upside, very long arms and athletic, a monster. Draft him and sign him right away. Get him to work immediately in learning the Cowboys' system. I liked the draft when it took place soon after the Super bowl because you could take a draftee and give him lots of training before the season.
Except Hoffman is the very definition of a scrub OL.

Bass was a great find. Dude can play. Has college honors.

We need players, not projects.

All American and/or 1st Conf teams are the players we want.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
this is why I feel we wont have to take a lineman early. MM has shown he has an eye for lineman
Nope, we'd still need a plug and play O-Lineman in 1st Rd. We can get away with one of Bass /Hoffman, but both especially lining up together is a disaster waiting to happen (though I bet Dak would waive his NTC).
The way this FO usually approaches such situations we'll draft Barton and mix and match.