Breaking down Center Brock Hoffman and Guard TJ Bass

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the videos. It’s encouraging seeing these films. I’m not as worried about losing BDZ as much as Tyron Smith. T is something we need and I feel comfortable with Bass and Hofman manning the C position. The good news is they are both flexible and can play C or G. T is still a concern. I’m not 100% comfortable with Tyler, Bass, Hofman, Martin and Steele. I’d like to draft a T then go with Rookie OT, Tyler, Bass/Hofman, Martin and Steele.
Except TB was all american, Rimington trophy, and Pro Bowl.

That’s why he got paid mega $$$$.

Hoffman is a scrub undrafted OL.

1942willys

Reaction score

Biadasz was pro bowl because several others dropped out and were injured.
As regards the Remington trophy, I always thought it was ironic that it was named for a great College Center who was meh in the NFL

1942willys

Reaction score
Never get too hung up on college player trophies; you look at the Butkus award winners for best LB and a lot of them are never great in the NFL.
Nuts look at how many Heisman Trophy winners are flops in the NFL

all america teams and all conference teams and so on indicate that the talent is there; but there is so much more to making it in the NFL. The combination of things you have to have to make it as a quality starter in the NFL is a pretty long list. I simply do not see with Hoffman enough there to be optimistic. We got very lucky with Steele (fingers crossed that he comes all the way back) but expecting to get top performers from UDFA's is NOT A PLAN.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

Biadasz is nothing compared to Connor Williams. Too bad Connor is coming off a torn ACL. Good opportunity to offer him a cheap 1 year offer to see how he recovers.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Never get too hung up on college player trophies; you look at the Butkus award winners for best LB and a lot of them are never great in the NFL.
Nuts look at how many Heisman Trophy winners are flops in the NFL

all america teams and all conference teams and so on indicate that the talent is there; but there is so much more to making it in the NFL. The combination of things you have to have to make it as a quality starter in the NFL is a pretty long list. I simply do not see with Hoffman enough there to be optimistic. We got very lucky with Steele (fingers crossed that he comes all the way back) but expecting to get top performers from UDFA's is NOT A PLAN.
The Cowboys 90s 3 SB olines didn't have a single 1st round pick on them. Not a single 1st rounder.

Creeper

Reaction score
I thought Hoffman and Bass looked pretty good against Washington last season but Washington played their subs quite a bit. I am optimistic both players will improve this year and could be ready to start for Dallas if they fail to find the right OL in the draft. Of course using Bass and Hoffman would mean Tyler Smith moves out to LT. To me honest, I am not as optimistic about using rookies as I am using Bass and Hoffman, but I understand rookies need to develop by playing, like Biadasz did.

Because we have Hoffman and Bass - and Asim Richards - I would be fine with the Cowboys drafting defense early. I think they need more help there.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Biadasz was pro bowl because several others dropped out and were injured.
As regards the Remington trophy, I always thought it was ironic that it was named for a great College Center who was meh in the NFL
So easy to minimize others achievements.

Yet he did the work. And got the rewards.

Sydla

Reaction score
LOL. Here we go. The age old tradition of seeing the Cowboys do nothing in FA and then turning to what we already have on the roster and convincing ourselves the answers to our issues might already be here.

It rivals the UDFA hype in August when a couple UDFAs have a great fall camp or a preseason game.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
LOL. Here we go. The age old tradition of seeing the Cowboys do nothing in FA and then turning to what we already have on the roster and convincing ourselves the answers to our issues might already be here.

It rivals the UDFA hype in August when a couple UDFAs have a great fall camp or a preseason game.
Nobody is saying that. Just being honest with a fair assessment on Hoffman, Bass and Richards. They've got potential. Still could use more talent.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
The Cowboys are looking at lots of 2nd to 5th round tackles. Some are even coming in as 30 visit guys.
Yep. Even months before this sudden news, I called it. Makes sense considering all who have left via free agency, who we have still here and what other positions in need need to be addressed with very few draft picks available.

Sydla

Reaction score
Nobody is saying that. Just being honest with a fair assessment on Hoffman, Bass and Richards. They've got potential. Still could use more talent.
The honest assessment of those three is that they are projects and were drafted/signed where they were because they simply weren't as talented as others. And that considering these factors on top of the fact that they all have limited PT in the NFL, considering them "solutions" along the OL so we can then go out and use our money and draft capital on flashy positions like RBs and WRs and CBs and LBs is a silly way to build this roster.

So if Jerry and his halfwitted son have decided that they didn't need to address OL in FA and can just throw some late round picks at the OL because they have those three, that's a massive risk.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm onboard with starting bass. Hoffman though i'm not so sure. If one of the better centers is available i'd probably take him.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Before Bill Simmons became a household name, he used to have a regular Boston article. Every so often he would write something called "The Patrick Ewing Theory." Basically... it was about how Ewing was the obvious big man superstar of the Knicks and Georgetown, yet when he was out of the game, they actually played better. He would point out another team in his articles that is somehow just playing better with the all-star out.

That's the best way I can explain my optimism for our offensive line. I know what I saw those 2 games that Hoffman and Bass started and it was a different chemistry. Maybe just the gift of youth and less complacency. Two guys that are still fighting for an NFL life. You would think when names like Tyron Smith, Zack Martin are gone, it would be the opposite. But I have hope the Cowboys will not miss a beat, at least on interior line, with these two young guys. Much more worried about the OTs, but think if they stay healthy, these young guys will worse case scenario have same results as last season's starters which wasn't all that great to begin with.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Big Mike doesn’t get a say in acquiring players.

It’s all Stephen and Will.

Example: they didn't even call him when the Lance trade was made.
Plus how much are they going to value the opinion of a coach on the last year of his contract?

1942willys

Reaction score
The honest assessment of those three is that they are projects and were drafted/signed where they were because they simply weren't as talented as others. And that considering these factors on top of the fact that they all have limited PT in the NFL, considering them "solutions" along the OL so we can then go out and use our money and draft capital on flashy positions like RBs and WRs and CBs and LBs is a silly way to build this roster.

So if Jerry and his halfwitted son have decided that they didn't need to address OL in FA and can just throw some late round picks at the OL because they have those three, that's a massive risk.
IT is amazing to me that the blazing reality of O line is that VERY FEW UDFA's and fourth and lower rd draftees ever really make it to Quality Starter status. Now and then you get lucky with someone like Steele but to rely on that for your starters is just plain dumb