Breaking down the College Football Playoffs

DFWJC

Reaction score
outside of the power 5 and ND, nobody cares....
the conferences, MWC, AAC, will fall in to the wildcard pool...

As long as the non-power conference schools have representation, I like the idea of power 5 champs plus some at large.
people forget that until very recently, TCU, Louisville, Utah and others would have been outside looking in (in non-power conferences). Boise State and some others still are.
It's very arbitrary as there are better programs in some of the non-power 5 than several that are in it by default (Vandy, Indiana, etc, etc)

I don't want a 16 team playoff though.

Last edited:

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Haha..I feel bad for the TCU team. They're a fun team to watch. And I like purple so there's that.

Coach Sabin has done a great job this year. I do remember that Razorback game though where they looked just awful.

And on the "gosh she's dumb" side of the discussion I don't even know what a horned toad is, something from Texas?

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Haha..I feel bad for the TCU team. They're a fun team to watch. And I like purple so there's that.

Coach Sabin has done a great job this year. I do remember that Razorback game though where they looked just awful.

And on the "gosh she's dumb" side of the discussion I don't even know what a horned toad is, something from Texas?

Wow -- I just don't know what to say about your obvious lack of reptilian education. Along with spiders and snakes, you need to Fear the Frog.

OTOH, I am having a difficult time connecting an algae bloom with a pachyderm.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
Wow -- I just don't know what to say about your obvious lack of reptilian education. Along with spiders and snakes, you need to Fear the Frog.

OTOH, I am having a difficult time connecting an algae bloom with a pachyderm.

All I can say is elephants rule! I seriously don't know what a horned toad is but I guess they have them there in Ft. Worth. Probably as many as there are elephants roaming the wilds of Alabama.

I like TCU. I really think they should have made it.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
As long as the non-power conference schools have representation, I like the idea of power 5 champs plus some at large.
people forget that until very recently, TCU, Louisville, Utah and others would have been outside looking in (in non-power conferences). Boise State and some others still are.
It's very arbitrary as there are better programs in some of the non-power 5 than several that are in it by default (Vandy, Indiana, etc, etc)

I don't want a 16 team playoff though.

Isn't Louisville in the AAC? Still on the outside looking in.

DFWJC

Reaction score
cincy, uconn.. is the only former power conference teams without a home.
The Big East was among that group just a year or two ago...so USF and maybe a couple of others too. Can't recall if UCF was yet.

The thing is, there are teams out there that if you put them into a power conference--so they then get all the revenue and recruiting advantages that come with it--they would be better than many already "in".
I mean just a few years ago a team like Baylor or Duke would have gotten shelled by almost anyone out there. The BCS further separated the teams and made more advantages for those on the in--which is why the TCUs and ECUs of the world wanted in so bad. TCU got in but Houston, ECU, Boise St, and UCF did not. Huge disadvantage recruiting and revenue wise. Put any of those programs in a "power conference and they would compete very quickly. I mean, ECU outdraws a large number of power conf schools as it is. Before recently, they certainly outdrew TCU , Baylor, Kansas, Wake, Duke, Maryland, Oregon St, Vandy, Indiana, Illinois, etc, etc,etc.
Eventually, like with Baylor, all that power conference money will bring better recruit and eventually larger stadiums.

Sorry.. just rambling at this point.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
The Big East was among that group just a year or two ago...so USF and maybe a couple of others too. Can't recall if UCF was yet.

The thing is, there are teams out there that if you put them into a power conference--so they then get all the revenue and recruiting advantages that come with it--they would be better than many already "in".
I mean just a few years ago a team like Baylor or Duke would have gotten shelled by almost anyone out there. The BCS further separated the teams and made more advantages for those on the in--which is why the TCUs and ECUs of the world wanted in so bad. TCU got in but Houston, ECU, Boise St, and UCF did not. Huge disadvantage recruiting and revenue wise. Put any of those programs in a "power conference and they would compete very quickly. I mean, ECU outdraws a large number of power conf schools as it is. Before recently, they certainly outdrew TCU , Baylor, Kansas, Wake, Duke, Maryland, Oregon St, Vandy, Indiana, Illinois, etc, etc,etc.
Eventually, like with Baylor, all that power conference money will bring better recruit and eventually larger stadiums.

Sorry.. just rambling at this point.

Yeh, USF was....But they never contributed to the league on a exposure basis, so i didn't include them...lol
Uconn's women and mens bball team brought a lot of prestige to that university, and the big east..... and Cincy was successful in bball, and somewhat in football....
I think if there was another round of expansion those are the teams on the east that would be considered.... although that Uconn football team might as well join the MAC at this point...... and they can go back to the Big East bball wise.....man their football is bad...

Big time football came at a price, and not everyone was invited... definitely a fraternity.

Edit: teams don't want too much comp in their market if it doesn't contribute to them... from what I read BC refused to vote Uconn into the ACC.... definitely bad blood between those two.. (law suit history and all)

Last edited:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Big 12 would probably want to create some partners near WVa, but not go as far north as UConn.

UCF avgs over 40K for games already. And that would open up Florida recruiting wise.
Cincy is pretty good to pair with WVA and they've got political pull plus opens up Ohio recruiting.

UCF/Cincy gets you into some solid markets and brings fairly large campuses.
And opens up even more fertile recruiting grounds.

Cincy might really help Iowa St, Kansas and KST for recruiting.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
If they add the best football teams they can... like last time, BYU and Boise St would love to come on in.

WVA would still be an outlier but I think they are loving life in the conf so far and probably wouldn't mind a softer East division instead of this current every team gauntlet.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
Big 12 would probably want to create some partners near WVa, but not go as far north as UConn.

UCF avgs over 40K for games already. And that would open up Florida recruiting wise.
Cincy is pretty good to pair with WVA and they've got political pull plus opens up Ohio recruiting.

UCF/Cincy gets you into some solid markets and brings fairly large campuses.
And opens up even more fertile recruiting grounds.

Cincy might really help Iowa St, Kansas and KST for recruiting.

This is a true statement... Cincy may get a look.

BYU might get their wish as well.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
my advice to all teams going forward, screw sportsmanship, win every game you can by 70 points.

Obviously a conference championship game is very important. Also the non-conference schedule means more finally. No more scrubs to fill your schedule. Every game matters.