Breaking down the College Football Playoffs

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Yep. Not sure. Could easily be the top 2 teams per conference and then the best teams from the rest of the pool.

Then what would be the point of the conference championship if both teams that make the conference championships get into the playoffs?

joseephuss

Reaction score
Once again we disagree my friend.... basketball has always been the step brother. The moves Football makes will always affect them... TV contracts, conference affiliations, Power 5 having the ability to write their own rules, recruiting budgets, etc.... In some way or another it always affects the other athletics at a school.

It isn't that basketball wouldn't or couldn't be affected. It is that football rules. As you said basketball is the step brother. They will follow football's lead. Football will dictate which conference a team joins despite what huge historical ties the basketball program may have. Basketball programs will have some say in the matter, but ultimately it will be the football programs that have the most influence in those decisions.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
Then what would be the point of the conference championship if both teams that make the conference championships get into the playoffs?

One would be assured a spot... the other would have to leave its fate to the committee as a wild card?

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
It isn't that basketball wouldn't or couldn't be affected. It is that football rules. As you said basketball is the step brother. They will follow football's lead. Football will dictate which conference a team joins despite what huge historical ties the basketball program may have. Basketball programs will have some say in the matter, but ultimately it will be the football programs that have the most influence in those decisions.

No disagreement there... don't mean I have to agree with the direction.

joseephuss

Reaction score
No disagreement there... don't mean I have to agree with the direction.

No, not at all. We don't have to like every direction and decision made. Some hate that OU and Nebraska stopped playing each other every season once the Big 12 started and now not at all since Nebraska fled to the big 10. Or the end of the Longhorns/Aggies rivalry. Things change. Some for the good, some for the bad.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
No, not at all. We don't have to like every direction and decision made. Some hate that OU and Nebraska stopped playing each other every season once the Big 12 started and now not at all since Nebraska fled to the big 10. Or the end of the Longhorns/Aggies rivalry. Things change. Some for the good, some for the bad.

Of course..... that's how life works...

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
One would be assured a spot... the other would have to leave its fate to the committee as a wild card?

I agree with that. But the poster I was replying to said it should be a 16-team playoffs with each of the 5 power 5 champions making it. Someone asked how they'd get the other 11 teams and the poster said "maybe let the top 2 teams from each conference make it." Which would basically make the conference championship useless.

I wanted to comment on your idea about the 5 power 5 champions and Notre Dame getting a pass into an 8-team playoffs. I agree with all of that except Notre Dame. I do think the 5 power 5 champs should make it. I also would like it if a non-power 5 team was guaranteed a spot. The only issue there would be how would you determine which team?

1. the highest-ranked non power 5 team at the end of the season?
2. the highest-ranked non-power 5 champion (which would almost always be the MWAC champion; which then would basically just make the MWAC a power 5 team)
3. should you take independents into account (otherwise, Notre Dame would almost always make it if they had a halfway decent season)

I think Notre Dame should just join the Big 12 if they want a shot at the playoffs. Otherwise, they need to basically run the table like they did a few years ago.

Anyway, I'd also have the final 2 spots be the highest ranked teams remaining. This way, Notre Dame could still make it even if they don't play a conference championship. Then you have situations where a top team that lost its conference championship could still make it. Such as years where a 12-0 team loses its conference championship to a 9-3. Sure, the 10-3 is in the playoffs, but the now 12-1 isn't penalized on a perfect regular season.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
I agree with that. But the poster I was replying to said it should be a 16-team playoffs with each of the 5 power 5 champions making it. Someone asked how they'd get the other 11 teams and the poster said "maybe let the top 2 teams from each conference make it." Which would basically make the conference championship useless.

I wanted to comment on your idea about the 5 power 5 champions and Notre Dame getting a pass into an 8-team playoffs. I agree with all of that except Notre Dame. I do think the 5 power 5 champs should make it. I also would like it if a non-power 5 team was guaranteed a spot. The only issue there would be how would you determine which team?

1. the highest-ranked non power 5 team at the end of the season?
2. the highest-ranked non-power 5 champion (which would almost always be the MWAC champion; which then would basically just make the MWAC a power 5 team)
3. should you take independents into account (otherwise, Notre Dame would almost always make it if they had a halfway decent season)

I think Notre Dame should just join the Big 12 if they want a shot at the playoffs. Otherwise, they need to basically run the table like they did a few years ago.

Anyway, I'd also have the final 2 spots be the highest ranked teams remaining. This way, Notre Dame could still make it even if they don't play a conference championship. Then you have situations where a top team that lost its conference championship could still make it. Such as years where a 12-0 team loses its conference championship to a 9-3. Sure, the 10-3 is in the playoffs, but the now 12-1 isn't penalized on a perfect regular season.

ND, shold be given a spot based on their rankings and win total, imo... they are "affiliated" with the ACC, so they will play 4-5 of their teams a year. If they join a conference it would be the ACC, their other athletics are already members.... but that NBC TV contract, the money they are making, and the out of conference exposure they give the P5 teams they play allow them to move however they want.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
ND, shold be given a spot based on their rankings and win total, imo... they are "affiliated" with the ACC, so they will play 4-5 of their teams a year. If they join a conference it would be the ACC, their other athletics are already members.... but that NBC TV contract, the money they are making, and the out of conference exposure they give the P5 teams they play allow them to move however they want.

I agree they should be given a shot at the playoffs if they earn it, which really is just a 1-loss or even 2-loss season. That's fair because that's what it usually takes to make a power 5 conference championship. I was also thinking about my idea about a non-power 5 team making it, and I don't think it would work. Boise State would almost be guaranteed to make it every year. I think it should just be the 5 power 5 champions and 3 wild cards. The wild cards are the highest ranked remaining teams. That way, Notre Dame would almost be guaranteed to be a wild card as long as they had a 1 or 2 loss season. And a team like Boise State would make it if they went undefeated. Also, a top ranked team that lost its conference championship would still have a shot at making it.

If we had this system this year, the 8-team playoffs would be:

1. Alabama (SEC champs)
2. Oregon (Pac-12 champs)
3. FSU (ACC champs)
4. Ohio State (Big Ten champs)
5. Baylor (Big 12 champs, according to the Big 12's head-to-head tie-breaker rule)
6. TCU (top 3 non-conference champion)
7. Michigan State (top 3 non-conference champion)
8. Mississippi State (top 3 non-conference champion)

Then you'd have

1. Alabama vs 8. Miss St
4. Ohio St vs 5. Baylor

2. Oregon vs 7. Michigan St
3. FSU vs 6. TCU

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
I agree they should be given a shot at the playoffs if they earn it, which really is just a 1-loss or even 2-loss season. That's fair because that's what it usually takes to make a power 5 conference championship. I was also thinking about my idea about a non-power 5 team making it, and I don't think it would work. Boise State would almost be guaranteed to make it every year. I think it should just be the 5 power 5 champions and 3 wild cards. The wild cards are the highest ranked remaining teams. That way, Notre Dame would almost be guaranteed to be a wild card as long as they had a 1 or 2 loss season. And a team like Boise State would make it if they went undefeated. Also, a top ranked team that lost its conference championship would still have a shot at making it.

If we had this system this year, the 8-team playoffs would be:

1. Alabama (SEC champs)
2. Oregon (Pac-12 champs)
3. FSU (ACC champs)
4. Ohio State (Big Ten champs)
5. Baylor (Big 12 champs, according to the Big 12's head-to-head tie-breaker rule)
6. TCU (top 3 non-conference champion)
7. Michigan State (top 3 non-conference champion)
8. Mississippi State (top 3 non-conference champion)

Then you'd have

1. Alabama vs 8. Miss St
4. Ohio St vs 5. Baylor

2. Oregon vs 7. Michigan St
3. FSU vs 6. TCU

I think the AAC would have some say in it as well, but maybe the non-power team doesn't have to go undefeated, maybe a top 15 power rating, and a certain level non conference strength of schedule?

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score

Just throwing ideas out there on how to fill out the top 16 which is why I said maybe. The loser of the conference championship would be a lower seed so there would be that.

The main thing is to find a way to remove rankings from the process.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I think the AAC would have some say in it as well, but maybe the non-power team doesn't have to go undefeated, maybe a top 15 power rating, and a certain level non conference strength of schedule?

I can dig that. I'd like to see a non-power conference team in every year. I wouldn't like it if Notre Dame is considered in that group. I think Notre Dame should make it as a wild card if they want to make it. The non-power 5 stipulation should be that you need to be a conference champion. That way you can have a AAC, MWAC or even CUSA champion make it as long as they're ranked in the top 15 at the end of the season. If none are in the top 15, then it goes to a third wild card.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score

The only problem with my other response I just made is that a team like Boise State this year might fit into that group. They were #20 before winning the MWAC yesterday. I'm guessing they'll be in the top 15 after the final rankings come out. I just don't think they deserve it because this has been one of their worst years in recent memory. There was a time, when Boise State was in an even weaker conference than the MWAC, that I thought they could beat any team in the country. That's not the case this year. They would've been a 6 loss team in a power conference this year. But they'd make the playoffs according to my idea.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
The only problem with my other response I just made is that a team like Boise State this year might fit into that group. They were #20 before winning the MWAC yesterday. I'm guessing they'll be in the top 15 after the final rankings come out. I just don't think they deserve it because this has been one of their worst years in recent memory. There was a time, when Boise State was in an even weaker conference than the MWAC, that I thought they could beat any team in the country. That's not the case this year. They would've been a 6 loss team in a power conference this year. But they'd make the playoffs according to my idea.

That's why I think the rankings still have relevancy. If the CFP still have a ranking systems to work off, it wouldn't be perfect, but you have to be able to put teams in some kind of order... and they would have the power to make a decision on a fringe team like Boise St.
Some won't be happy of course, but that will never be the case.

BigDGarciaFan

Reaction score
i dont like the tide and FSU, they win too much, they cheat too much, they brainwashed every sports fan from outside those program. theyre a waste of time cause they recently won titles. Go Buckeyes and Ducks, and go Ducks(in the championship game). BTW my aunt Rachel(god rest her soul) has a stepdaughter who knew Prefontane

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Allstate Sugar Bowl (College Football Playoff Semifinal): Alabama vs. Ohio State, Jan. 1, 8:30 p.m.

Rose Bowl Game Presented By Northwestern Mutual (College Football Playoff Semifinal): Oregon vs. Florida State, Jan. 1, 5 p.m.

Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic: Michigan State vs. Baylor, Jan. 1, 12:30 p.m.

Capital One Orange Bowl: Mississippi State vs. Georgia Tech, Dec. 31, 8 p.m.

VIZIO Fiesta Bowl: Boise State vs. Arizona, Dec. 31, 4 p.m.

Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl: Ole Miss vs. TCU, Dec. 31, 12:30 p.m.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
I knew you'd jump in there.

My attitude right now is more like "roll over, toad" ('cause, you know, the Frogs have have been slammed on their horney backs).

Haha..I feel bad for the TCU team. They're a fun team to watch. And I like purple so there's that.

Coach Sabin has done a great job this year. I do remember that Razorback game though where they looked just awful.

And on the "gosh she's dumb" side of the discussion I don't even know what a horned toad is, something from Texas?