BREAKING: LB Jerry Brown has died .. Josh Brent arrested for intoxicated manslaughter

Scotman

Reaction score
Terribly tragic news.

I don't drink and I never have. So, I've never been behind the wheel intoxicated by default. But I do know that Brent was not trying to hurt himself of his friend. His terrible judgement is going to haunt him all of his days. I'm saddened for Brent. This was his friend and he'll carry that weight the rest of his life. And Brown? A young man's life lost...gone. His poor family!

Not much I else I can say. Prayers for both of them and their families.

muck4doo

Least-Known Member
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4884548 said:
It was Brent's statement from his attorney after he met with Brent.

Oh. Okay. He has to go through the rest of his life knowing that he killed his best friend. I'm sure that statement doesn't even get close to it.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
muck4doo;4884550 said:
Oh. Okay. He has to go through the rest of his life knowing that he killed his best friend. I'm sure that statement doesn't even get close to it.

Surely not. Tragic on so many levels.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
I heard on the news he was partying out at a club with other Dallas Cowboys besides Jerry. Did anyone else hear this? If so, any idea who the other players were? The wreck happened at approx. 2:21, so that leads me to believe there were multiple Cowboys players up pretty late.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
ufcrules1;4884553 said:
I heard on the news he was partying out at a club with other Dallas Cowboys besides Jerry. Did anyone else hear this? If so, any idea who the other players were? The wreck happened at approx. 2:21, so that leads me to believe there were multiple Cowboys players up pretty late.

I heard that but no confirmations. Only person confirmed that was with them that we would know is one of the Waynan brothers..

Diogenes

Reaction score
Scotman;4884547 said:
Terribly tragic news.

I don't drink and I never have. So, I've never been behind the wheel intoxicated by default. But I do know that Brent was not trying to hurt himself of his friend. His terrible judgement is going to haunt him all of his days. I'm saddened for Brent. This was his friend and he'll carry that weight the rest of his life. And Brown? A young man's life lost...gone. His poor family!

Not much I else I can say. Prayers for both of them and their families.

For better or for worse, I've read through this entire thread. Simply put and well stated, your post sums up my thoughts as well.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4884526 said:
Ready for the shocking part? The friend that was killed that night...Was Bruce's younger brother.

Both died as a result of driving while drunk.

I have not had a drink of alcohol since that 27th birthday "party".

My point is that while we are passing judgement on Brent and even to some extent Jerry Brown, it sometimes takes longer to learn a lesson like this than others. Then again, some never do, like my friends. And they pay dearly for it.

Yes, driving drunk is stupid. Yes they should know better. Yes there is a lot to be learned from these types of things. And yes, some of us will never learn them. And yes some of us will learn them but it will be too late for some.

We disagree all the time. But a have deep respect for you after sharing this. Thank you for the perspective.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
AbeBeta;4884558 said:
We disagree all the time. But a have deep respect for you after sharing this. Thank you for the perspective.

It wasn't something I wanted to post but felt I should.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4884554 said:
I heard that but no confirmations. Only person confirmed that was with them that we would know is one of the Waynan brothers..

Ok, I'm glad someone else heard it too. At first I was under the impression it was just Josh and Jerry but it appears other Cowboys players were there, although I don't know who. Just so sad and frustrating.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
ufcrules1;4884561 said:
Ok, I'm glad someone else heard it too. At first I was under the impression it was just Josh and Jerry but it appears other Cowboys players were there, although I don't know who. Just so sad and frustrating.

The number I heard was "a dozen". But that was just a number that was thrown out.

muck4doo

Least-Known Member
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4884552 said:
Surely not. Tragic on so many levels.

Sorry, it looks like I might be trying to argue with you, but I'm not. Brown's family is going through hell right now first, and foremost. My prayers are with them. But I also see a human who made a huge mistake in Brent, and he now has to live with the fact he killed his best friend, and Jerry's little girl now grows up without a father. It has to be killing him inside. This is just tragic all around. Brent's family also all have to be dealing with so much hurt inside. Their son went from a promising future to this?

/This is seriously the most tragic day in Dallas Cowboy history

muck4doo

Least-Known Member
Reaction score
muck4doo;4884564 said:
Sorry, it looks like I might be trying to argue with you, but I'm not. Brown's family is going through hell right now first, and foremost. My prayers are with them. But I also see a human who made a huge mistake in Brent, and he now has to live with the fact he killed his best friend, and Jerry's little girl now grows up without a father. It has to be killing him inside. This is just tragic all around. Brent's family also all have to be dealing with so much hurt inside. Their son went from a promising future to this?

And before anyone even says anything I stated it is Brown's family first and foremost that has been hurt in this.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
muck4doo;4884564 said:

I didn't take it that way.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4884526 said:
Perspective is an elusive thing sometimes.

Here's a different one.

When I was in High School one of my closest friends and teammates went drinking at a mutual friends house. He and another friend left the party and he crashed the car. He was killed and the other friend was screwed up for life. His sister had called my house and told me he was in an accident and at the hospital. When I got there he was gone and I was told the other friend was in intensive care. I was in shock and devastated.

AS the weeks went on and they dragged into months the hurt started to lessen some, but the void was still there in my life. I had promised everyone under the sun that I WOULD NEVER EVER DRIVE DRUNK.

When I got into adulthood I ended up drinking and driving. Simply by the grace of God I never got into an accident when I was drinking and no one was ever hurt.

I was 27 the last time I drove drunk. It was on the night of my 27th birthday and I was out with some friends. We all left the last bar we were at and went home around 2:30. I was hammered. But I got home safe and went to bed. About 7AM my phone rings and it is one of my friends I was out with. He was at the hospital with one of our friends who didn't make it home with This friends parents. I got to the hospital and he had died about ten minutes before.

It was almost a direct repeat of what happened in my SR. year in HS. I was having deja vu but it wasn't that, it was all real. Both times. That was the last time I ever drove after drinking.

The sad part is I was too stupid or too immature to learn from the lesson I thought I learned when Bruce was killed.

Ready for the shocking part? The friend that was killed that night...Was Bruce's younger brother.

Both died as a result of driving while drunk.

I have not had a drink of alcohol since that 27th birthday "party".

My point is that while we are passing judgement on Brent and even to some extent Jerry Brown, it sometimes takes longer to learn a lesson like this than others. Then again, some never do, like my friends. And they pay dearly for it.

Yes, driving drunk is stupid. Yes they should know better. Yes there is a lot to be learned from these types of things. And yes, some of us will never learn them. And yes some of us will learn them but it will be too late for some.
:post:

I don't drink. Never have. I don't like being around people who are. But the human side of me feels very badly for anyone who loses someone in this way and that includes Josh Brent losing his friend over his actions. I feel very bad for his loss too. I could sit in judgment of him like anyone else, especially someone who has lost someone to a drunk driver's carelessness. I understand the anger. I just want some to understand why I feel bad for the person who did not mean to kill someone. Like I said, that's the human side of me.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4884560 said:
It wasn't something I wanted to post but felt I should.

No worries. I'll post something for the kiddos. I drank from age 13-27, heavily. Why? I'm not sure. I stopped when I was 27. But I lost several close friends in accidents, and one nearly paralyzed himself. After my daughter died, I relapsed for about 3 months. I gambled compulsively when I was a casual gambler before. I ended up losing somewhere around $60,000--money I could have used for something else.

In any case, the most important thing to say is you never want to see the guys you slap five with, the guys you confide in, the guys whose back you have in things young people do.. you never want to see those guys in a casket. But if you drink and you party and you drive, it will happen sooner or later.

I'm a much better man now since I quit drinking. I honestly screwed up my young adulthood with booze. And it takes a long time to recover from that.

I'm not passing judgement on Brent. That could have easily been me or any of my friends.

But I will say drinking is serious and it has serious consequences.

TTexasTT

Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4884572 said:
No worries. I'll post something for the kiddos. I drank from age 13-27, heavily. Why? I'm not sure. I stopped when I was 27. But I lost several close friends in accidents, and one nearly paralyzed himself. After my daughter died, I relapsed for about 3 months. I gambled compulsively when I was a casual gambler before. I ended up losing somewhere around $60,000--money I could have used for something else.

In any case, the most important thing to say is you never want to see the guys you slap five with, the guys you confide in, the guys whose back you have in things young people do.. you never want to see those guys in a casket. But if you drink and you party and you drive, it will happen sooner or later.

I'm a much better man now since I quit drinking. I honestly screwed up my young adulthood with booze. And it takes a long time to recover from that.

I'm not passing judgement on Brent. That could have easily been me or any of my friends.

But I will say drinking is serious and it has serious consequences.

Jeez man thats terrible. Im glad youve been able to put it all back together where others may have just folded. Lost both parents to drugs and alcohol and Im quite fortunate to not let it run my life and can be a casual/social drinker when time permits. I damn sure cant throw stones at Brent and I actually feel for him and his family as well. Im willing to bet the majoity of us have made some very poor choices, especially at such a young age.
Perhaps there is some good that can come from this tragic loss in the end.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;4884506 said:
He said he was guessing. Besides, that was over 8 hours ago when this was still a breaking news story.

Some of us just got home from work, bud.

Assuming anyone on our team would do something like this is pretty messed up, imo. Just a sad story all around though. Sounds like no one is hurting more right now than Brent himself.