BREAKING: LB Jerry Brown has died .. Josh Brent arrested for intoxicated manslaughter

Cowboysfan1975

Reaction score
This is a sickening story. A young man lost his life, another young man ruined his career and has to go through the rest of his life knowing he accidentally killed a good friend and lost a promising career, and a child will never get to know their father. I honestly don't care at all what happens in Sundays game.

One stupid decision and many lives come crashing down.

kristie

Reaction score
muck4doo;4884611 said:
It was good, and i gave you a like on youtube. No comment though. That was your expression of what you feel.

thank you. i appreciate that. :D

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
CrownCowboy;4884648 said:
Alot of interesting perspectives on this.

What a horrible thing that has happened. I feel terrible for Jerry Brown and his family and also feel bad for Josh Brent.

My perspective in this case is more of grief than anger. Yes, in general, it does piss me off when people knowingly get behind the wheel after drinking. After all that has happened to people regarding drunk driving, everyone should know better than to do it. It puts yourself, the people in the car with you, and those out driving in danger and it's simply inexcusable and unacceptable.

With that being said and like many here, that could have been me many many times. I can't tell you how many times I drove home drunk after a late night out. Most times I was alone, but there were plenty of times that I had my best friends with me. I also have gotten into the car with people that I knew were drunk, many times. It wasn't until I had my son that I realized what a big mistake and gamble I was taking. Not just with my life, but with others.

I believe Josh Brent is devastated right now. He made a mistake that many people have made. He made a mistake that many good people have made. I thank God that I never paid for making the same mistake Josh Brent made with my life or someone else's and I truly hope that Jerry Brown's family finds peace someday. I also hope that Josh Brent has finally learned what horrible consequences comes with drinking and that he also finds peace. Hopefully someday, he can have an impact in helping turn people away from committing such horrible mistakes.

This speaks for me too. Good posting.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Just thought i'd add this based on some of the replies i've seen:

For all of you saying you have no sympathy at all for Brent.. i assume that also means you have no sympathy for Jerry Brown either.

Just as Brent made the decision to drive intoxicated.. Brown made the decision to get in a car with an intoxicated driver. Both were very dumb decisions. Either could have lost their life because of it.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Sad, sad story. And, yes, I feel sorry for Josh Brent also. He had an addiction he couldn't overcome, and it cost him.

Better to never start than to start and not be able to control that which will later control you. :(

Good job by the moderators keeping this thread on track.

Stryker44

Reaction score
What an awful thing to live with the rest of your life. I would have rather died then have to live with this guilt.

diehard2294

America's Team
Reaction score
very sad, sometimes we take life for granted and in a blink of an eye it's taken away.

my thought's and prayers go out to Browns family and friends

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Hostile;4884347 said:
I have a feeling that when this man is buried and people see the pain Josh Brent is in they're going to regret some rash comments.

Yep. Some need climb down off their moral mountain and let the tragedy be. It's bad enough on its own.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
Stryker44;4884830 said:
What an awful thing to live with the rest of your life. I would have rather died then have to live with this guilt.

That's something that keeps popping up in my head.

This was his best friend from what I'm reading. Not only is your best friend dead and you're responsible, but your dream of a career is over, and you're going to be in prison for who knows how long.

That's a whole hell of a lot to deal with for any person.

Wood

Reaction score
GoCowboysGo;4883848 said:
I've performed for the Pres Barak Obama, Prince Charles, P.M. Gordon Brown, Pres Nicolas Sarkozi, and Tom Hanks to name but a few. If I'm dehydrated or at all not 100% ready I might mess up and ruin my performances. I take no chances whatsoever at not being ready the best I possibly can.

So, you don't know me, none of you do. I'm just saying I don't see how other performers party before a big performance. This is a small, insignificant part of the story. A Cowboys player lost his life and another player is responsible (apparently). All I'm saying is, knowing this sort of thing goes on, that I'm amazed pro players do this and still get out there and perform, something I couldn't possibly imagine doing!

As for Michael Jordan? I could care less what he did, he's not a SA Spur, Rocket, Mav, Cowboy or Texan. But this affects one of my team's player and I'm giving my opinion, after all, isn't this what this site is about? Damn!

More drinking goes on that average person realizes. My cousin built the homes for half the Eagle players. Jon Runyan (retired RT for eagles) and now a congressman would routinely drink a 5th of vodka the night before a game and wouldn't miss a beat. It comes down to just some people can handle it and some can't.

fifaguy

Reaction score
Heisenberg;4884900 said:
That's something that keeps popping up in my head.

This was his best friend from what I'm reading. Not only is your best friend dead and you're responsible, but your dream of a career is over, and you're going to be in prison for who knows how long.

That's a whole hell of a lot to deal with for any person.

All this plus the fact that he had a prior DUI and seemingly didn't learn his lesson. That's a very tough pill to swallow...

UKCowboysFan

Reaction score
It's just very sad for everyone involved.

So many lives ruined for no reason at all.

I think it was Bruce Carter that tweeted that the Cowboys organization will send a car to take any player home (and their car) if they call them no matter what the time.

So sad for Jerry Brown, his family and his friends (which include Josh Brent).

DFWJC

Reaction score
Cowboysfan1975;4884750 said:
This is a sickening story. A young man lost his life, another young man ruined his career and has to go through the rest of his life knowing he accidentally killed a good friend and lost a promising career, and a child will never get to know their father. I honestly don't care at all what happens in Sundays game.

One stupid decision and many lives come crashing down.
All true and just devestating stuff.

Furthermore, I would worry that Brent should be on suicide watch.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
TTexasTT;4884584 said:
Jeez man thats terrible. Im glad youve been able to put it all back together where others may have just folded. Lost both parents to drugs and alcohol and Im quite fortunate to not let it run my life and can be a casual/social drinker when time permits. I damn sure cant throw stones at Brent and I actually feel for him and his family as well. Im willing to bet the majoity of us have made some very poor choices, especially at such a young age.
Perhaps there is some good that can come from this tragic loss in the end.

It's hard to find good out of a loss. I still struggle with that concept, but I think there may be some truth to it. It's awful what you've been through as well. Keep your chin up. I am.

silver

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4885152 said:
1/2 million dollar bond set for Brent.

I doubt he or the Cowboys will post that much to get him out.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
silver;4885175 said:
I doubt he or the Cowboys will post that much to get him out.

I'm not an expert but I don't think you have to come up with that much money. I think you need a percentage of it in cash and the rest in secured property like a house or car or something that they hold in lieu.

Vertigo_17

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4885177 said:
I'm not an expert but I don't think you have to come up with that much money. I think you need a percentage of it in cash and the rest in secured property like a house or car or something that they hold in lieu.

I think you're right, 10% maybe but I bet he won't post until tomorrow when he can see a judge to be arraigned.

Reaction score
Hostile;4883808 said:
By the way, Jerry Brown is the first player ever to die while still a member of this team, albeit the PS. He is also the youngest Cowboys player to ever pass away. The previous youngest was Larry Bethea who took his own life at 30.

Didn't the Rb a few years ago die while on the team? Can't remember his name right now.