Breakthrough: who can steal the show at camp

Chasing6

Reaction score
There is usually 1 WR that at comes out of nowhere and has a great camp. The hype goes through the roof and he is meh in the regular season, if he sticks to the roster.

The problem with camp is it is Cowboys against Cowboys. If Mazi beats up on Beebe, or the other way around, how do we look at that? Is one of them good, or is the other bad? I want to see preseason games with Cowboys against first team opponents. If someone excels in those matchups, I will sit up and pay attention, otherwise I will be looking at my phone playing a game or browsing social media.
Yes, and then they don't play him for some reason.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Because they see the obvious talent.
Deuce has really good movement skills to make defenders miss in space. I think he'd be most effective as a third-down back, especially with us using an inside zone blocking scheme that doesn't fit his skills as well. Trouble is, I don't know if he can handle blitz pickup well enough.

If we're running him between the tackles, we've got to create room for him to operate because he showed last year that he's not going to break free of many NFL defenders once they hit him. He needs creases to squeeze through and holes to cut into.

I see no reason to give up on him after his rookie year, but they have to carve out a role that fits his skillset. They can't do like they did with Pollard last year and take a back who is best in space and try to primarily run him between the tackles.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Deuce has really good movement skills to make defenders miss in space. I think he'd be most effective as a third-down back, especially with us using an inside zone blocking scheme that doesn't fit his skills as well. Trouble is, I don't know if he can handle blitz pickup well enough.

If we're running him between the tackles, we've got to create room for him to operate because he showed last year that he's not going to break free of many NFL defenders once they hit him. He needs creases to squeeze through and holes to cut into.

I see no reason to give up on him after his rookie year, but they have to carve out a role that fits his skillset. They can't do like they did with Pollard last year and take a back who is best in space and try to primarily run him between the tackles.
I am pretty sure we all know he can not handle picking up the blitz at all.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Duece will be amazing when they start a 5'8 and under football league.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I am pretty sure we all know he can not handle picking up the blitz at all.
It is something he can improve. He will always have a size challenge, but he also has a natural leverage advantage. A lot of young running backs have to learn how to handle blitz pickup, so it's just a question of whether he can. If he can, I think he's our best back for third-and-long because he has good hands and can operate in space on draws.

There have been other smaller backs who have been effective in that role, so we'll see if Deuce can be. Anyone who was expecting him to one day challenge to start wasn't really being realistic IMO based on the history of backs his size.

Chasing6

Reaction score
It is something he can improve. He will always have a size challenge, but he also has a natural leverage advantage. A lot of young running backs have to learn how to handle blitz pickup, so it's just a question of whether he can. If he can, I think he's our best back for third-and-long because he has good hands and can operate in space on draws.

There have been other smaller backs who have been effective in that role, so we'll see if Deuce can be. Anyone who was expecting him to one day challenge to start wasn't really being realistic IMO based on the history of backs his size.
It has nothing to do with how to do it. It has to do with he physically can't do it.

gimmesix

Reaction score
It has nothing to do with how to do it. It has to do with he physically can't do it.
It has a lot to do with how to do it. Other smaller backs have done well in pass protection because they square up and set themselves with balance and they stay low so that they are not uprooted by the defender charging at them. They block the defender in his lower body instead of taking on the defender's upper body with lower-body power behind it.

It is a skill, but a skill that can be learned if a back is willing. Yes, size and strength help, but technique is most important.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/breakthrough-who-could-steal-the-show-at-camp

4 different answers here.

Why in the heck do they keep pushing Deuce as some sort of great player. I do not see it. But he was one of the answers.

Flournoy, in the absence of CeeDee, Stephens, since Schoonmaker coming off the hamstring injury, Turpin, as the 3rd WR, not considering his return game, those were the other answers.

Who do you have.
I will go with Trey Lance though that is expected in a way. So from the unexpected, Nate Peat.
Ill go with Zeke.

CWR

Reaction score
There is usually 1 WR that at comes out of nowhere and has a great camp. The hype goes through the roof and he is meh in the regular season, if he sticks to the roster.

The problem with camp is it is Cowboys against Cowboys. If Mazi beats up on Beebe, or the other way around, how do we look at that? Is one of them good, or is the other bad? I want to see preseason games with Cowboys against first team opponents. If someone excels in those matchups, I will sit up and pay attention, otherwise I will be looking at my phone playing a game or browsing social media.
Remember the year Antuan Woods was beating up on Tfred? Next thing you know he's diagnosed with GBS. Yeah it's hard to get a read on camp battles. All you can look for is consistently dominant performances.

Heck I remember how terrible Jamar Chase looked in camp his rookie year too, for that matter. I didn't draft him on my fantasy team, thinking he'd start slow. Lol

CWR

Reaction score
I remember when Antwaun Woods (I believe it was him) was holding his own and even beating Travis Frederick early in camp. Then, we learned that Frederick had Guillain-Barre Syndrome. It took a career-ending nerve disorder for our defensive tackles to look good.
Dang it man, I posted, scrolled up and then read your post. Lol yeah I think you nailed it.

CWR

Reaction score
Marshawn Kneeland. Partly because I think he's going to be a good player. Partly because he's going up against players like Edoga.
As bad as our free agency was I really like this draft class. Kneeland is a good one. The LB also could look good in camp. I predict our draft class will get a lot of praise this camp.

Chasing6

Reaction score
It has a lot to do with how to do it. Other smaller backs have done well in pass protection because they square up and set themselves with balance and they stay low so that they are not uprooted by the defender charging at them. They block the defender in his lower body instead of taking on the defender's upper body with lower-body power behind it.

It is a skill, but a skill that can be learned if a back is willing. Yes, size and strength help, but technique is most important.
You mean like Darren Spoles who weighed 20 pounds more???

Or Maurice Jones Drew who weighed 25 pounds more???

Or Ray Rice who weighed 30 pounds more???

gimmesix

Reaction score
You mean like Darren Spoles who weighed 20 pounds more???

Or Maurice Jones Drew who weighed 25 pounds more???

Or Ray Rice who weighed 30 pounds more???
Sproles was 5-6, 187 pounds when he entered the league. Vaughn was 5-6, 176. Not exactly 20 pounds.

But there have been others closer to his size who had productive NFL careers, such as Tarik Cohen, who was 5-6, 181 pounds.

I'm not sure anyone should be comparing him to Sproles, much less Jones-Drew or Rice. Those last two were thick for their size, which made them more than just change-of-pace backs. Vaughn likely will be more like Cohen in that regard, if he even turns out to be that good.

gimmesix

Reaction score
As bad as our free agency was I really like this draft class. Kneeland is a good one. The LB also could look good in camp. I predict our draft class will get a lot of praise this camp.
I do think the floor for Kneeland is Lawrence (not necessarily as a rookie, though), but I think he may have more juice as a pass rusher. I'm probably discrediting Lawrence a little, though, because he is a very solid all-around DE.

Reactions: CWR

Chasing6

Reaction score
Sproles was 5-6, 187 pounds when he entered the league. Vaughn was 5-6, 176. Not exactly 20 pounds.

But there have been others closer to his size who had productive NFL careers, such as Tarik Cohen, who was 5-6, 181 pounds.

I'm not sure anyone should be comparing him to Sproles, much less Jones-Drew or Rice. Those last two were thick for their size, which made them more than just change-of-pace backs. Vaughn likely will be more like Cohen in that regard, if he even turns out to be that good.
I have no idea who Cohen is. So not a great example.

Just checked and he weighs 192 pounds.

pacboyX

Reaction score
Deuce has talent, was productive in college and definitely passes eye test. When given holes and starting oline he has looked good. Will he be a good blocker..no. But I wouldn't be asking him to do that as much anyway. Could we use him more motioning in and out of backfield with empty set and using his skillset, definitely. Will we do that idk