Breakthrough: who can steal the show at camp

ArtClink

Reaction score
Jerry always steals the spotlight. I wonder how his head coaching outfit will look this year?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Deuce has talent, was productive in college and definitely passes eye test. When given holes and starting oline he has looked good. Will he be a good blocker..no. But I wouldn't be asking him to do that as much anyway. Could we use him more motioning in and out of backfield with empty set and using his skillset, definitely. Will we do that idk
His size doesn’t pass the eye test. I honestly believe he won’t be in the NFL very long. There’s a chance he’ll make the team this season because we’re strapped at RB and he might provide some real juice on KO returns because of the new rule.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I have no idea who Cohen is. So not a great example.

Just checked and he weighs 192 pounds.
Cohen started out at 181. A lot of players gain over the course of their careers.

Cohen is a great example of what the expectations for Deuce should be. Cohen, who was a first-team All-Pro returner one season, played four seasons, rushed for over 1,000 yards (4.2 per carry) and had more than 1,500 yards receiving. His career was derailed by injury and he's been trying to revive it.

If you are looking for players like Sproles, Rice and Jones-Drew as great examples, you are not looking in the right place. There are backs similar in size to Vaughn who succeeded in NFL roles without ever becoming starters. That is probably the best we can expect from Vaughn, not that he'll be one of the few players his height who overcame all odds and became NFL starters.

gimmesix

Reaction score
His size doesn’t pass the eye test. I honestly believe he won’t be in the NFL very long. There’s a chance he’ll make the team this season because we’re strapped at RB and he might provide some real juice on KO returns because of the new rule.
They will definitely have to carve out a niche for him, and based on how we misused Pollard last year, I'm not sure this staff is capable of that. McCarthy's biggest weakness as an offensive coach seems to be the running game, and the coaches he hired here to run it (Schottenheimer and Solari) didn't show the ability the best use what they had.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Cohen started out at 181. A lot of players gain over the course of their careers.

Cohen is a great example of what the expectations for Deuce should be. Cohen, who was a first-team All-Pro returner one season, played four seasons, rushed for over 1,000 yards (4.2 per carry) and had more than 1,500 yards receiving. His career was derailed by injury and he's been trying to revive it.

If you are looking for players like Sproles, Rice and Jones-Drew as great examples, you are not looking in the right place. There are backs similar in size to Vaughn who succeeded in NFL roles without ever becoming starters. That is probably the best we can expect from Vaughn, not that he'll be one of the few players his height who overcame all odds and became NFL starters.
We will draft a RB early next year and the RB by committee experiment will be over in my opinion.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
They will definitely have to carve out a niche for him, and based on how we misused Pollard last year, I'm not sure this staff is capable of that. McCarthy's biggest weakness as an offensive coach seems to be the running game, and the coaches he hired here to run it (Schottenheimer and Solari) didn't show the ability the best use what they had.
The niche will be as a receiver coming out of the backfield and on KO returns. Pollard was misused because we didn’t have a better option after the departure of Zeke. Pollard was a terrific player in the role he had.

gimmesix

Reaction score
The niche will be as a receiver coming out of the backfield and on KO returns. Pollard was misused because we didn’t have a better option after the departure of Zeke. Pollard was a terrific player in the role he had.
Last year? I would not call that terrific. He averaged 4.1 per carry as we tried to turn him into a middle runner instead of running him on the edges. He was misused because the coaches ran the wrong scheme for him.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Last year? I would not call that terrific. He averaged 4.1 per carry as we tried to turn him into a middle runner instead of running him on the edges. He was misused because the coaches ran the wrong scheme for him.
You misunderstood what I said. I’m not saying Pollard was terrific last season. I was referring to him being terrific in the role he had prior to Zeke going to New England. Starting him last season was misusing him. He was better as the second back. We had him doing a lot of what Zeke was doing, running between the tackles against fresh defenses. He wasn’t being kept fresh and the increased carries showed.

Chasing6

Reaction score
You misunderstood what I said. I’m not saying Pollard was terrific last season. I was referring to him being terrific in the role he had prior to Zeke going to New England. Starting him last season was misusing him. He was better as a relief player.
The fact that we did not split carries with Zeke and Pollard from day one when Pollard was drafted is unbelievable stupid.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The fact that we did not split carries with Zeke and Pollard from day one when Pollard was drafted is unbelievable stupid.
Zeke was making too much money to be splitting carries with another back. It was early into his second contract when Pollard was drafted. Zeke was still real good at that time. He put up over 1300 yards during Pollard’s rookie season. It took time for Pollard to evolve. The more big plays he made the more opportunities he got, especially when Zeke started slowing down.

gimmesix

Reaction score
You misunderstood what I said. I’m not saying Pollard was terrific last season. I was referring to him being terrific in the role he had prior to Zeke going to New England. Starting him last season was misusing him. He was better as the second back. We had him doing a lot of what Zeke was doing, running between the tackles against fresh defenses. He wasn’t being kept fresh and the increased carries showed.
OK. I don't necessarily agree that starting him last season was misusing him. I think starting him in an inside zone scheme was misusing him. I think if we had primarily been using off-tackle runs and plays that got him outside of the tackle box, it might have turned out differently.

Not saying I was for making him the starter. He had not proven that he could be the man and he was coming off a big injury. I would have preferred that we restructured Elliott, but I also had no problem with letting him go if he refused to take a pay cut because he was making too much for his play level. The bigger mistake was not bringing in a back or drafting a back who fit the scheme they wanted to use (and in that case, using Pollard like we did before).

We're probably making another RB mistake this year, but I do think Elliott and Freeman at least fit the run scheme. One of the greatest areas of mismanagement with this team last year was tagging Pollard and then trying to turn him into something he wasn't.