Breakthrough: who can steal the show at camp

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
OK. I don't necessarily agree that starting him last season was misusing him. I think starting him in an inside zone scheme was misusing him. I think if we had primarily been using off-tackle runs and plays that got him outside of the tackle box, it might have turned out differently.

Not saying I was for making him the starter. He had not proven that he could be the man and he was coming off a big injury. I would have preferred that we restructured Elliott, but I also had no problem with letting him go if he refused to take a pay cut because he was making too much for his play level. The bigger mistake was not bringing in a back or drafting a back who fit the scheme they wanted to use (and in that case, using Pollard like we did before).

We're probably making another RB mistake this year, but I do think Elliott and Freeman at least fit the run scheme. One of the greatest areas of mismanagement with this team last year was tagging Pollard and then trying to turn him into something he wasn't.
Making him the starter opened the door for misusing him. The Cowboys were paying him a lot of money on the franchise tag and were going to get as much out of him as they could. They weren’t going to limit their offense with him. Most of us knew the 2023 season would be Pollard’s last with the Cowboys. All we had behind him was Rico Dowdle who had only 7 career carries for 24 yards entering last season. Pollard had 59 more carries last season than he had the previous season. He was more worn down and it showed. Plus, he was coming off a serious injury and didn’t have the pop he had in previous seasons.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Making him the starter opened the door for misusing him. The Cowboys were paying him a lot of money on the franchise tag and were going to get as much out of him as they could. They weren’t going to limit their offense with him. Most of us knew the 2023 season would be Pollard’s last with the Cowboys. All we had behind him was Rico Dowdle who had only 7 career carries for 24 yards entering last season. Pollard had 59 more carries last season than he had the previous season. He was more worn down and it showed. Plus, he was coming off a serious injury and didn’t have the pop he had in previous seasons.
They didn't have to limit their offense. They needed to run a scheme that fits his skillset. Pollard has shown that he can run inside, but his strength is running outside. Schottenheimer and Solari should have designed the run scheme to be outside in instead of vice versa. If the idea was to base the scheme on inside zone running (which it was), then absolutely, the team needed to get a different lead running back. That was the biggest failure IMO. Not adding any running back to the stable other than a late-round pick, especially when your lead guy was coming off a serious injury, was the second-biggest failure.

I think we all would have liked to see the team do a better job than it has addressing the running back position after those failures, but at least this time they picked backs who fit what they want to do. Elliott and Freeman are between-the-tackles pounders who offer little in the outside running game.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
They didn't have to limit their offense. They needed to run a scheme that fits his skillset. Pollard has shown that he can run inside, but his strength is running outside.
You’re limiting your offense if you need a particular scheme to fit his skill set. You can’t just run plays where he’s running outside. There’s times you have to be able to run inside and push the pile. He wasn’t a starting caliber back and most of us knew this all along. You had fans that wanted him to be the bell cow, believing he could put up 1500 yards.

tomsanders921

Reaction score
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/breakthrough-who-could-steal-the-show-at-camp

4 different answers here.

Why in the heck do they keep pushing Deuce as some sort of great player. I do not see it. But he was one of the answers.

Flournoy, in the absence of CeeDee, Stephens, since Schoonmaker coming off the hamstring injury, Turpin, as the 3rd WR, not considering his return game, those were the other answers.

Who do you have.
I will go with Trey Lance though that is expected in a way. So from the unexpected, Nate Peat.
We r going to hear all about how Zeke is looking great and in the best shape of his life. Heard it every camp he has been here so far.

Chasing6

Reaction score
They didn't have to limit their offense. They needed to run a scheme that fits his skillset. Pollard has shown that he can run inside, but his strength is running outside. Schottenheimer and Solari should have designed the run scheme to be outside in instead of vice versa. If the idea was to base the scheme on inside zone running (which it was), then absolutely, the team needed to get a different lead running back. That was the biggest failure IMO. Not adding any running back to the stable other than a late-round pick, especially when your lead guy was coming off a serious injury, was the second-biggest failure.

I think we all would have liked to see the team do a better job than it has addressing the running back position after those failures, but at least this time they picked backs who fit what they want to do. Elliott and Freeman are between-the-tackles pounders who offer little in the outside running game.
Why would we want to use players to the strenghts? What a concept.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Allowing contracts to dictate playing time is beyond stupid.
When you just made an RB the highest paid back in the league that’s going to dictate their playing time. When you’re paying a player that kind of money, they’re going to get the most snaps and that goes for every team around the league.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Zeke was making too much money to be splitting carries with another back. It was early into his second contract when Pollard was drafted. Zeke was still real good at that time. He put up over 1300 yards during Pollard’s rookie season. It took time for Pollard to evolve. The more big plays he made the more opportunities he got, especially when Zeke started slowing down.
That is a dumb comment. Regardless of who is making what, the team should be doing what is best for the team.

So let's pay CD $35M and then never throw another pass to another WR.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
That is a dumb comment. Regardless of who is making what, the team should be doing what is best for the team.

So let's pay CD $35M and then never throw another pass to another WR.
What was best for the team when Zeke signed his extension was making him the bell cow. He was arguably the best back in the league. You wanted Pollard as a rookie to split carries with him that season. Pollard got some opportunities, but he wasn’t going to get an equal amount of carries. Funny that you would call my comment dumb when you’re comparing a wide receiver with an RB. Naturally our other WRs will get targets, regardless what CeeDee makes, but he’ll still receive the most targets. You’re most high-priced player is your best player and they’re going to receive the most opportunities. That’s how it is around the entire league. Try getting with the program!

Chasing6

Reaction score
What was best for the team when Zeke signed his extension was making him the bell cow. He was arguably the best back in the league. You wanted Pollard as a rookie to split carries with him that season. Pollard got some opportunities, but he wasn’t going to get an equal amount of carries. Funny that you would call my comment dumb when you’re comparing a wide receiver with an RB. Naturally our other WRs will get targets, regardless what CeeDee makes, but he’ll still receive the most targets. You’re most high-priced player is your best player and they’re going to receive the most opportunities. That’s how it is around the entire league. Try getting with the program!
Why draft Pollard? Basically sit him for 2 years and run Zeke into the ground. Then Zeke was no longer worth the money the last few years.

Sounds like a genius plan.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Why draft Pollard? Basically sit him for 2 years and run Zeke into the ground. Then Zeke was no longer worth the money the last few years.

Sounds like a genius plan.
They drafted him as a backup to provide relief. They didn’t draft him because they had doubts about Zeke. They had just made Zeke the highest paid back in the league. It’s not a genius plan to make a back the highest paid in the entire league, then have them split carries with a back they drafted in the fourth round.

Chasing6

Reaction score
They drafted him as a backup to provide relief. They didn’t draft him because they had doubts about Zeke. They had just made Zeke the highest paid back in the league. It’s not a genius plan to make a back the highest paid in the entire league, then have them split carries with a back they drafted in the fourth round.
They were 2 different types of backs that could have easily complimented each other. Instead of running Zeke in the ground.

Why would you sign a RB to big long contract, if your plan was to just run him into the ground in 2 years.

It was one of GM Jethro worst contract decisions.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
They were 2 different types of backs that could have easily complimented each other. Instead of running Zeke in the ground.

Why would you sign a RB to big long contract, if your plan was to just run him into the ground in 2 years.

It was one of GM Jethro worst contract decisions.
They did complement each other. But it wasn’t time to start rotating them after we had just paid Zeke a record contract. All we needed from Pollard as a rookie was a change of pace for a few plays.

Chasing6

Reaction score
They did complement each other. But it wasn’t time to start rotating them after we had just paid Zeke a record contract. All we needed from Pollard as a rookie was a change of pace for a few plays.
There was no reason to pay Zeke with Pollard on the roster. We had to pay Emmitt we had nothing in place that could come close to replacing him.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Why would we want to use players to the strenghts? What a concept.
Some coaches are really good at it. Others believe they can make the player fit the scheme because they run a really good scheme. I prefer the ones who shape the scheme to the player.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Some coaches are really good at it. Others believe they can make the player fit the scheme because they run a really good scheme. I prefer the ones who shape the scheme to the player.
We had such a good team in the 90's, we did not have to scheme. We could tell the defense the play and they would still have a hard time stopping it.

That type of team will never be built again, at least not in Dallas.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
There was no reason to pay Zeke with Pollard on the roster. We had to pay Emmitt we had nothing in place that could come close to replacing him.
Dude, Pollard was a fourth round pick who had yet to play a regular season snap for us. He was drafted to provide depth at the position. You’re acting like Pollard was a first round pick. :rolleyes: Zeke was the best back in football and we re-signed him five months after we drafted Pollard. We had no idea what Pollard could do in the regular season. We weren’t about to go into the 2019 season with a rookie fourth round pick as our starting RB.

gimmesix

Reaction score
You’re limiting your offense if you need a particular scheme to fit his skill set. You can’t just run plays where he’s running outside. There’s times you have to be able to run inside and push the pile. He wasn’t a starting caliber back and most of us knew this all along. You had fans that wanted him to be the bell cow, believing he could put up 1500 yards.
You either get players who fit your scheme or fit your scheme to the player. Schottenheimer and Solari chose to run their scheme no matter what kind of back they had.

I saw no evidence that Pollard could be a bell cow before we tagged him, but I think he would have been closer to the back he had been if we used him to his strengths, even in a starting role. The staff chose to give him the starting role but not use him to his strengths. That's on them. The fact that the front office did not bring in a back who better fit what the coaches wanted to do is on the Joneses.

I do think it is interesting that Tennessee signed him to pair with Tyjae Spears, who is also more of an outside-in back. The Titans' coach, Brian Callahan, said he views both players as starters. Maybe the Titans will be smart enough to use them to their strengths, though. That does not mean you run all outside running plays (that is just as stupid as running all inside running plays). It means, you force defenses to be concerned about protecting the edges, so the middle is softer. Pollard did some damage here when they played to his strengths and then punched that soft middle. Last year, we were so intent on establishing him as an inside runner that we just rammed him into the box. It was stupid.