Breer: Cards may have to settle for a Brandin Cooks-type trade for Hop

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Me too, would we ditch Gallup?
Fish was pitching the idea of Gallup and a late rounder.

If Hopkins does similar to Cooks, the cost wouldn't really be prohibitive, however you are still spending on a player in Gallup you wouldnt be using much. Arizona would be getting a decent band aide. If Gallup is back to pre injury form he is still a viable starter

DanA

Reaction score
A post June 1st trade involving Gallup could perhaps work with Hopkins restructuring but it’s a bit of a cap strain, I can’t see it.

Kwyn

Reaction score
A post June 1st trade involving Gallup could perhaps work with Hopkins restructuring but it’s a bit of a cap strain, I can’t see it.
That’s what I was thinking. Isn’t there a big dead money hit from trading Gallup?

Edit: missed the posts earlier. 12m hit.

DanA

Reaction score
That’s what I was thinking. Isn’t there a big dead money hit from trading Gallup?

Edit: missed the posts earlier. 12m hit.
Hence post June 1st which puts most on the cap hit in next year.

T-RO

Reaction score
There is a reason Hopkins has said he is open to reworking his deal specifically saying he will take a pay cut for a trade.

We'll see, won't we?

NFL.Com gives Cowboys 'A+' for Gilmore trade and 'A' for Brandin Cooks trade. I'm happy with the work done.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Fish was pitching the idea of Gallup and a late rounder.

If Hopkins does similar to Cooks, the cost wouldn't really be prohibitive, however you are still spending on a player in Gallup you wouldnt be using much. Arizona would be getting a decent band aide. If Gallup is back to pre injury form he is still a viable starter
The reason Cooks was so affordable was the Texans are paying like 6m of his contract. I don't think the Cards are willing to do that, and I doubt that Dhop is willing to take THAT much of a paycut.

Rayman70

Reaction score
if this is true, trade the last 5th we still have and get this guy.

CWR

Reaction score
I read that Gallup would be a piece going to the Cards

That deal works for both teams imo. Gallup a year removed from injury is a nice addition to a team needing wr depth. He's been nearly written off by fans here, but I expect him to be better after being fully recovered.

We end up with CD who is still young and a couple of outstanding vets in Cooks and Hopkins.

It almost makes too much sense.