Breer: Cards may have to settle for a Brandin Cooks-type trade for Hop

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
No doubt hop is better but we would not have gotten the same value and cap hit...in good with Cooks and another starter level player or two vs only hop
I dont care about value and cap hit

Hopkins is a way better player. Always has been.

irishline

Reaction score
And - no need to use a pick on a WR in the draft
Well there better not be since at that point you would have used a minimum of three picks on him and Cooks.

I'm fine with whatever though.

FYI if you traded Gallup now. Since he restructured, you would immediately accelerate 12 million in dead money to this year's cap.

Jipper

Reaction score
I dont care about value and cap hit

Hopkins is a way better player. Always has been.
Uh...when you are building a championship team you aim to have the greatest sum of the parts...my point is that the value on cooks was so great combined with what he brings and the additional pieces that can still be afforded, that dallas will net out with a better overall situation and team

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
I wanted Hopkins over cooks- still would but I can’t now call the cooks trade a bad one at all. It made us better and addressed a need. I applaud the front office for making the deal as opposed to other years. No way they are going to Hopkins AND cooks so let’s not even believe that dream.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
The Cowboys are fine at receiver. They have also set their salary gap up so that it will be a pecking order.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Well there better not be since at that point you would have used a minimum of three picks on him and Cooks.

I'm fine with whatever though.

FYI if you traded Gallup now. Since he restructured, you would immediately accelerate 12 million in dead money to this year's cap.
And pay Hopkins at that. It’s highly unlikely.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I love how Jerry came out and set the tone this offseason.

Let 'em swang, some of his players walked on the open market.

Jerry is like, what? Bring it.

Jerry's clowning his haters this offseason. He may be 80, but that man aint no fool. By now, he's one of the better GMs, responsive to the fans, to a degree without getting stupid.
Jerry's on the yacht.

Stephen and McClay making the deals...

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I wanted Hopkins over cooks- still would but I can’t now call the cooks trade a bad one at all. It made us better and addressed a need. I applaud the front office for making the deal as opposed to other years. No way they are going to Hopkins AND cooks so let’s not even believe that dream.
We already have a younger Hopkins in CeeDee. Even though I don’t believe the bs that we will be a three yard and a cloud of dust running team like the media seems to believe I think Dak will set records passing next season. Especially if we draft Kincaid.

Adreme

Reaction score
The more I think about it, the more I think Cowboys may go offense in the draft.. Could be WR, RB, TE, I think.
They also need to sure up the OLine and the draft is the best place to do that. The interior OLine is just simply not good.

alicetooljam

Reaction score
This is what I was afraid of...Im good with the Cooks trade. I recognize the value, but said if DH goes somewhere for a 3rd or less by draft day I wasnt going to be happy.

T-RO

Reaction score
I love how Jerry came out and set the tone this offseason.

Let 'em swang, some of his players walked on the open market.

Jerry is like, what? Bring it.

Jerry's clowning his haters this offseason. He may be 80, but that man aint no fool. By now, he's one of the better GMs, responsive to the fans, to a degree without getting stupid.

I think he's delegated the work to others. But gotta give Dallas FO credit if we fans have any integrity.

Adreme

Reaction score
Cap hit:
Hopkins = $20 mil
Cooks + Gilmore = $21 mil

Cowboys aced the test.
There is a reason Hopkins has said he is open to reworking his deal specifically saying he will take a pay cut for a trade.