News: Breer: Micah Parsons: The Defensive Gronk?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/08/22/trey-lance-secret-injury-micah-parsons-deshaun-watson

OXNARD, Calif. — My conversation with Cowboys defensive coordinator Dan Quinn started with my trying to get a historical comparison for Micah Parsons out of him. He didn’t have one, and eventually we meandered right back there, after it hit me how he was describing him.

This sounds like the inverse of Rob Gronkowski, I said, as he described Parsons’s uniqueness.

Quinn smiled and said he liked that one. My logic was simple. Gronkowski was a nightmare for defenses from the minute the huddle was broken because that was when they had to figure out what to do with him. Put a defensive back on him, his team checks to a run, and that corner or safety is blocked into the third row. Put a linebacker over him, Gronk’s waltzing down the seam for a big gain. There literally was no right answer.

Ditto with Parsons. When the offense breaks the huddle, the 23-year-old must be accounted for. If he’s off the line, you can’t assign a back to handle him, lest he blitz and that back be responsible for slowing him. If he’s on the line, you have to treat him as if he’s DeMarcus Lawrence coming off the edge, because he almost is. And if he drops into coverage or plays the run, you’ll likely have to waste a resource accounting for him as a rusher.

“Yeah, it’s the reserve of that matchup: Like, how are we gonna guard this guy?” said Quinn of the Gronk comp. “With him, it’s like, whenever you have to double a really good receiver, it’s hard when he has to move around to different spots. Not that they’re always doubling him, but it’s, O.K., he’s over here, he’s this; he’s over there, he’s that.”

That’s why when I went to Cowboys camp, I felt like it was one of the few where the quarterback really isn’t the most interesting player—and that’s no shot at Dak Prescott.
Defensive MVP????

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I started saying he's the Mike Tyson of football/linebackers.

Now Jerry Jones is saying that same thing. Not that I'm taking credit for it. It's a pretty obvious sports analogy to make.

After this year, I think Parsons will be the defensive version of his own player, Micha Parsons.

Motorola

Reaction score
So, a little over 4 catches a game and a little over half a touchdown a game, in the regular season. His post season success should get him into the HOF.
Compare his stats to Witten; played in close to double the amount of regular season games - 271 to 143
Witten had close to double the number of receptions of Gronkowski - 1,228 to 621.
But Gronkowski scored 92 TDs to Witten's 74.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Compare his stats to Witten; played in close to double the amount of regular season games - 271 to 143
Witten had close to double the number of receptions of Gronkowski - 1,228 to 621.
Witten wasn't good at jumping and muscling the ball from defenders, so he was not a TD machine. That was pretty much his only weakness. Where as Gronk has like Dez in the redzone.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
For me, a comparison to Lawrence Taylor immediately came into my mind (once I saw what MP was doing to offenses).

…and I have never compared anyone else to LT. That is how special I think Parsons is.
Agreed. There have been some great LBs, but very few have power, speed, vision, drive, technique, agility, bend, and intelligence. Micah ain't missing a thing.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Gronk had Brady throwing to him, and Witten almost always had star receivers around him.

Not saying Gronk doesn't deserve the title, he does, along with Perpetual Frat Boy of the Decade.

Motorola

Reaction score
Gronk had Brady throwing to him, and Witten almost always had star receivers around him.

Not saying Gronk doesn't deserve the title, he does, along with Perpetual Frat Boy of the Decade.
Yeah...I'll admit Gronkowski's "Let's have a good time- Party Guy" persona has made him just as popular as his football accompishments.
It has gotten him several endorsements - and probably will garner him future opportunites in the media / as a public figure.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
I mean I would rather Ceedee catch every ball and not an inferior player but that’s not how football works. You need contributions from everyone to be a good team. Micah isn’t going to be the only one to get a sack next year and we shouldn’t act as if though we need him to in order to win.

Like Breer said, you can move Micah around and create matchup problems for offensive lines. This allows everybody to eat on any given play. Relying on Micah to line up every down and rush the passer is willingly limiting the amount of ways you can disrupt a defense. Don’t get why we want to do that.

Would Atlanta be smart using Kyle Pitts as solely lined up wide, or solely lined up in-line? Nope. When you have generational athletic-hybrid freaks you don’t use them in conversational ways. Unique guys like this gotta be used in unique ways my man.
“Allows everybody to eat”

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

what kinda fantasy bs is that. Fowler and Basham are eating ish

And you cant be serious comparing Micah rushing the passer more to lining up Pitts out wide. A better example would be having Pitts in to block while having an inferior receiver out to catch passes.

817Gill

Reaction score
“Allows everybody to eat”

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

what kinda fantasy bs is that. Fowler and Basham are eating ish

And you cant be serious comparing Micah rushing the passer more to lining up Pitts out wide. A better example would be having Pitts in to block while having an inferior receiver out to catch passes.
If your other players can’t win when Micah takes all that attention then that’s your personnel department’s fault. Lawrence, Osa/Gallimore, Armstrong, Fowler, etc, can get the most favorable matchups possible and make plays. Not sure why you act like it’s Micah and a bunch of college level guys, there’s talent all across the line.

Just like Micah has to be a run down LB at times, Pitts has to block. You don’t only do one thing when you’re an extremely versatile all time athlete. You can try to nitpick it all you want but the analogy is simple. You have unicorn athlete/player you use him all over the field. You don’t put him in one place and have him be a conventional player, that’s just a waste of versatility.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
This is why we argue against those who ask for him to be a full time DE. He’s a much bigger problem as a chess piece than as a guy you put in one spot.

This is so apparent and a blatant waste of talent to not alternate me Micah.
Disrupt their offences with Micah on R DE and strong LB.
Like me good neighbor Azov "Finky" he implies, and I infer, tha it is best to give Micah alternate snaps.
Thus, what Micah can do:
Disrupt. Move me Micah in and around.
Punish. Make the QBs and RBs pay for not passing.
Dismantle. While Micah is being a maurader chap, see the other no-name talent emerge.
Eat at Outback to celebrate and tell them Gimme sent you discount code R5#ls30