News: Breer: Micah Parsons: The Defensive Gronk?

Plankton

Reaction score
https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/08/22/trey-lance-secret-injury-micah-parsons-deshaun-watson

OXNARD, Calif. — My conversation with Cowboys defensive coordinator Dan Quinn started with my trying to get a historical comparison for Micah Parsons out of him. He didn’t have one, and eventually we meandered right back there, after it hit me how he was describing him.

This sounds like the inverse of Rob Gronkowski, I said, as he described Parsons’s uniqueness.

Quinn smiled and said he liked that one. My logic was simple. Gronkowski was a nightmare for defenses from the minute the huddle was broken because that was when they had to figure out what to do with him. Put a defensive back on him, his team checks to a run, and that corner or safety is blocked into the third row. Put a linebacker over him, Gronk’s waltzing down the seam for a big gain. There literally was no right answer.

Ditto with Parsons. When the offense breaks the huddle, the 23-year-old must be accounted for. If he’s off the line, you can’t assign a back to handle him, lest he blitz and that back be responsible for slowing him. If he’s on the line, you have to treat him as if he’s DeMarcus Lawrence coming off the edge, because he almost is. And if he drops into coverage or plays the run, you’ll likely have to waste a resource accounting for him as a rusher.

“Yeah, it’s the reserve of that matchup: Like, how are we gonna guard this guy?” said Quinn of the Gronk comp. “With him, it’s like, whenever you have to double a really good receiver, it’s hard when he has to move around to different spots. Not that they’re always doubling him, but it’s, O.K., he’s over here, he’s this; he’s over there, he’s that.”

That’s why when I went to Cowboys camp, I felt like it was one of the few where the quarterback really isn’t the most interesting player—and that’s no shot at Dak Prescott.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Good piece. Breer is the best beat writer who has covered the Cowboys since I've been able to read the articles online 20+ years ago. Too bad he was only around for a season...maybe two.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/08/22/trey-lance-secret-injury-micah-parsons-deshaun-watson

OXNARD, Calif. — My conversation with Cowboys defensive coordinator Dan Quinn started with my trying to get a historical comparison for Micah Parsons out of him. He didn’t have one, and eventually we meandered right back there, after it hit me how he was describing him.

This sounds like the inverse of Rob Gronkowski, I said, as he described Parsons’s uniqueness.

Quinn smiled and said he liked that one. My logic was simple. Gronkowski was a nightmare for defenses from the minute the huddle was broken because that was when they had to figure out what to do with him. Put a defensive back on him, his team checks to a run, and that corner or safety is blocked into the third row. Put a linebacker over him, Gronk’s waltzing down the seam for a big gain. There literally was no right answer.

Ditto with Parsons. When the offense breaks the huddle, the 23-year-old must be accounted for. If he’s off the line, you can’t assign a back to handle him, lest he blitz and that back be responsible for slowing him. If he’s on the line, you have to treat him as if he’s DeMarcus Lawrence coming off the edge, because he almost is. And if he drops into coverage or plays the run, you’ll likely have to waste a resource accounting for him as a rusher.

“Yeah, it’s the reserve of that matchup: Like, how are we gonna guard this guy?” said Quinn of the Gronk comp. “With him, it’s like, whenever you have to double a really good receiver, it’s hard when he has to move around to different spots. Not that they’re always doubling him, but it’s, O.K., he’s over here, he’s this; he’s over there, he’s that.”

That’s why when I went to Cowboys camp, I felt like it was one of the few where the quarterback really isn’t the most interesting player—and that’s no shot at Dak Prescott.
Good stuff man. Thanks for putting it up.

JBS

Reaction score
This is precisely why you don’t just stick him at DE and say go

not to mention - from what I observed last season, he was less effective when they did that anyways but I don’t have hard data to prove it. I also don’t have hard data to suggest what I saw was wrong.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
This is why we argue against those who ask for him to be a full time DE. He’s a much bigger problem as a chess piece than as a guy you put in one spot.
Meh

So you would rather an inferior player rushing the passer?

Id much rather Micah rush the passer than Fowler, Gholston, Basham, or De Williams

817Gill

Reaction score
Meh

So you would rather an inferior player rushing the passer?

Id much rather Micah rush the passer than Fowler, Gholston, Basham, or De Williams
I mean I would rather Ceedee catch every ball and not an inferior player but that’s not how football works. You need contributions from everyone to be a good team. Micah isn’t going to be the only one to get a sack next year and we shouldn’t act as if though we need him to in order to win.

Like Breer said, you can move Micah around and create matchup problems for offensive lines. This allows everybody to eat on any given play. Relying on Micah to line up every down and rush the passer is willingly limiting the amount of ways you can disrupt a defense. Don’t get why we want to do that.

Would Atlanta be smart using Kyle Pitts as solely lined up wide, or solely lined up in-line? Nope. When you have generational athletic-hybrid freaks you don’t use them in conversational ways. Unique guys like this gotta be used in unique ways my man.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
It's actually funny because at first I was like...uh naw...Parsons way better. Then I remembered Gronk in his younger days was an absolute anomaly on offense. So I will allow this...for now..

That's like our fans who can't seem to remember just how good future Hall-of-Famer Jason Witten was. These guys were special players in their prime.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Micah Parsons already had a season on par with Lawrence Taylor.

LT is the player most often cited as the greatest in NFL history.

Who cares about Gronk...

Motorola

Reaction score
Micah Parsons already had a season on par with Lawrence Taylor.

LT is the player most often cited as the greatest in NFL history.

Who cares about Gronk...
That would have been my comparison too.
Everyone involved with NFL -opposing players & coaches, the sports media - they all went on record that when any team lined up against the GIants - they had to find out where No. 56 was. Always.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Gronkowski: 143 regular season games - 621 rec, 92 TDs /22 playoff games - 98 rec, 1389 yds, 15 TDs
So, a little over 4 catches a game and a little over half a touchdown a game, in the regular season. His post season success should get him into the HOF.