Brett Maher first kicker in history with three 60 yarders

Yobwocs

Reaction score
He's only in his 2nd year, and he already has that record. How many will he make overall after he's done? 8? 9?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27891798/cowboys-brett-maher-first-kicker-make-three-60-yard-fgs

What gives with this guy? He's some strange player. Most Cowboys fans don't even want him, and he does crazy great things like this along with some high inconsistencies and bad misses from far closer range. His overall field goal percentage has to be among one of the lower percentages in the NFL, but if he can make kicks like this, he can be reliable with the game on the line. Like if we need a last second kick to end the half, or the game. I know today was a blowout, but next time he could be more useful.

We'd be at least 5-2 if he made the kicks he's supposed to, possibly 6-1 but I can't possibly overlook this aspect of his play.

The Dark Bishop

Reaction score
My biggest fear is we try for the record and leave the defense exposed with close to a minute to spare..... While I want to see another record broken, this should only be done with a lead and little time left on the clock......

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
He's only in his 2nd year, and he already has that record. How many will he make overall after he's done? 8? 9?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27891798/cowboys-brett-maher-first-kicker-make-three-60-yard-fgs

What gives with this guy? He's some strange player. Most Cowboys fans don't even want him, and he does crazy great things like this along with some high inconsistencies and bad misses from far closer range. His overall field goal percentage has to be among one of the lower percentages in the NFL, but if he can make kicks like this, he can be reliable with the game on the line. Like if we need a last second kick to end the half, or the game. I know today was a blowout, but next time he could be more useful.

We'd be at least 5-2 if he made the kicks he's supposed to, possibly 6-1 but I can't possibly overlook this aspect of his play.

Should have tried the 70 for the win.

They didn't replay, but that kicked looked like it could have gone even farther than the first. 7 more yards?

Carter

Reaction score
Aslong as his FG% is that bad and his Close kicks suck i dont want him.

A couple 60 yarders dont make up for it. I still dont trust him. Not even for the PAT.

IF he can get this nonsense missing Close kicks out of his game he will be elite though.

Weirdest Kicker ive ever seen.

KB1122

Reaction score
I wonder if it would be better to go for it as a rule inside the opponents territory and only kick field goals of 50+ yards.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Should have tried the 70 for the win.

They didn't replay, but that kicked looked like it could have gone even farther than the first. 7 more yards?

They said during the telecast they calculated that it’d have been good from 66. But I don’t think the Saints field goal would have been from 70; it was more like 65.

Definitely should have tried it - a 65 yard field goal from Maher is much more probable than a Hail Mary from Dak.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Yet he missed a 40 yard chip shot vs the Jets last week that would have given us the win. Sorry for the rant, but Maher needs to be more consistent, especially when the game is on the line.
3dw260.jpg
https://imgflip.com/memegenerator

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
Yeah... that’s a weird kicker. He has hit 3 60+ field goal attempts since he’s been a Cowboy. But continuously misses from the 26 or the 30. It makes no sense :facepalm:. Has there ever been a kicker like this in the NFL? Only the Cowboys could find someone with a unique skill set like this.

During the game, one of the reporters talked to Brett Maher about his kicking and he said he did best from the 40 yard line. I simply laughed and said, “No Brett. You kick better from 50+.”