Brett Maher now 8 of 9

Vanilla2

Reaction score
Microcosm of Cowboys fans today.

Maher is 8 of 9 on field goals, but only has 3 kicks more than 40 yards out, he is 2/3 from 40+

But yes, please compare him to Dan Bailey who is 88.3 percent from 40-49 yards...

Why so serious bruh

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Not well enough it seems because you still didn’t get the memo. Even when healthy he was missing. And he was missing a lot in 2018 training camp.

He missed very few kicks through out training camp... but keep telling yourself that.

mmohican29

Reaction score
Because he is a scrub. Is it possible that he magically became a better kicker than he has been his entire career in the CFL and will be better in the NFL? I suppose. It isn't likely though.

The answer to your question is no he didnt magically become better.

Kicking is a skill defined by incremental improvements and plateaus (like a jump shot in hoops).

I've said this before: it is likely significantly MORE difficult to kick in the CFL.

1) consistently cold weather conditions
2) open ended stadiums are almost universal in the CFL
3) depth perception is changed due to goal post location and lack of enclosed target on track surrounded fields
4) sub-NFL skill level long snappers

GB, you are entitled to your opinion but your consistent wishing the worst for current Cowboys is repulsive regardless of circumstances of franchise exit. It's old.

We are all frustrated, but don't be angry @ Maher or the schedule makers (earlier post of yours today) for any successful ventures because it contrasts with your vision of what the Cowboys "should" look like.

Doomsay

Reaction score
His kicks looked under control and very centered, hopefully that translates to longer attempts.
Dan was amazing, I wish him well.

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
Because he is a scrub. Is it possible that he magically became a better kicker than he has been his entire career in the CFL and will be better in the NFL? I suppose. It isn't likely though.

Romo was a scrub, he was undrafted. Larry Allen played for Sonoma State. Scrub. Tom Brady didn't get drafted til the 6th round. Scrub.

I'm not saying Maher is as talented or impactful as those guys, but it's quite unfair to judge someone based on where they came from.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Why do we settle with so many field goals? If we're gonna ever succeed deep into the playoffs we're gonna need to score touchdowns.

mmohican29

Reaction score
Romo was a scrub, he was undrafted. Larry Allen played for Sonoma State. Scrub. Tom Brady didn't get drafted til the 6th round. Scrub.

I'm not saying Maher is as talented or impactful as those guys, but it's quite unfair to judge someone based on where they came from.

Maher kicked @ Nebraska in the Big10.

He kicked for several years in the CFL.

He converted several FG's in NFL exhibition contests, over a stretch of 2 training camps and is now 8 of 9 on Sundays playing for the most visible franchise on the planet.

Either he's on an amazing, once in a lifetime run or perhaps he's put the work in to line up for GW FG's in the NFL?

Not sure why some just can't be happy that at least this particular transition looks to be on target as a sound decision @ minimum.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
happy for the kid. That was a potentially season ruining and career derailing kick he calmly nailed.

Good job
Agreed. Maher came through when we needed him under the most pressure and with so much on the line both for the team and himself.

Same goes for Dak for the same reasons.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
They were keeping his kicks in practice to shorter distances to minimize the chance of him straining his groin again.

Galian was gonna clean his room, but then he started a thread...

Citation... perhaps...

Funny that you posted some random video to insult me, but you couldn't be bothered to cite a source to your claim...

blueblood70

Reaction score
No more Bailey talk I guess. He almost missed one Thursday night.
actually one boked the upright and lucky it went in the other shaved the other upright and went in..hes not the split the uprights guy he used to be ..He go Nick Folked, still a good kicker but no longer worth 3mil and they did the right thing regardless of Mahers accuracy going forward..

blueblood70

Reaction score
Why so serious bruh
exactly plus Baily was NO LONGER THAT 88% guy he was missing Xtra points bro..his kicks Thursday were shaky..hes not the ame guy and has been in decline..stop holding on to the pst people..we have lost bigger names of late in Ware, Romo, Dez, and Witten..we have new team now...only lee is really left from the original OG and maybe Tsmith?this team has been rebuilt without a lot of notice..we are one of the youngest in the league, get used to it. New stars are being Born with Martin, Zeke, Jaylon, Dlaw, and LVE..

jujoboys

Reaction score
Not last year. It's a "what have you done lately" kind of league.

True. In his last 4 games with the Cowboys, Bailey was 7 out of 12 on FG attempts and 5 out of 7 on point after attempts. Of course, he was coming off of an injury but he did not seem like the same Bailey. We shall see. There are still a lot of games left and hopefully Maher continues to kick good.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
True. In his last 4 games with the Cowboys, Bailey was 7 out of 12 on FG attempts and 5 out of 7 on point after attempts. Of course, he was coming off of an injury but he did not seem like the same Bailey. We shall see. There are still a lot of games left and hopefully Maher continues to kick good.

The proof will be in the pudding. Let’s reopen this thread after week 17. Bailey found a job elsewhere so we can do an apples to apples and see what is what.

Feels like the right move to me.