Brett Maher now 8 of 9

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Microcosm of Cowboys fans today.

Maher is 8 of 9 on field goals, but only has 3 kicks more than 40 yards out, he is 2/3 from 40+

But yes, please compare him to Dan Bailey who is 88.3 percent from 40-49 yards...

Says something to the offense getting him in closer FG range. I will take that over having him attempt a bunch from over 40, where the % goes down for just about all K’s.

And the % post was just in jest. Have a sense of humor about it. I even said nothing was meant by it.
Time will tell, but not many K”s turn out to be a Bailey or a Tucker.

JayFord

Reaction score
Who did Dan Bailey replace? Was it David Buehler? God that guy was a monster to be a place kicker. I'd sign him right now to play safety :laugh:
If Buehler was accurate he would still be in the league with us he had a monster leg. But his accuracy from more than 20 yards was awful

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Says something to the offense getting him in closer FG range. I will take that over having him attempt a bunch from over 40, where the % goes down for just about all K’s.

And the % post was just in jest. Have a sense of humor about it. I even said nothing was meant by it.
Time will tell, but not many K”s turn out to be a Bailey or a Tucker.

The problem is kickers need to be able to make it from 40, especially when you have an offense that can't deliver. I guarantee you that by the end of the year Maher costs us minimum one game if not two.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Kicking is a marathon, but I like what I've seen so far. You want your guy to hit the GW's and Maher did just that yesterday.

If the offense does their job, you won't have to rely on Maher kicking risky 50+ yard bombs.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
There seems to be kicker woes all over the league this season. So, so far I'd say we've been fortunate.

John813

Reaction score

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The problem is kickers need to be able to make it from 40, especially when you have an offense that can't deliver. I guarantee you that by the end of the year Maher costs us minimum one game if not two.
When you lose a game by one or two points, you can point to just about anything as "costing" the game. He's going to miss a FG (and maybe even an XP) here and there; everybody does.

conner01

Reaction score
I miss the days when a kick like Sunday I didn’t even watch
I just knew Bailey was gonna nail it
Hope I feel the same way about the new kid one day
He’s done a good job so far

conner01

Reaction score
Let’s hope you are wrong
So far he’s been solid
I loved bailey just like everyone else but he’s not here anymore so I hope we found the next great kicker

JayFord

Reaction score
If Maher kicks the game winning fg at wrestlemania to win us the world series ill be ready to crown him

Its been a long times since the cowboys won 1

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Maher has made a FG over 50 yards, and is 1 for 2 from over 40, so obviously he can make a kick from 40.

In any case, why would you guarantee that? I get that you think we should have kept Bailey, and that's not unreasonable, but this seems strangely personal for you - as if you want Maher to fail just for the sake of being able to say "I told you so".

Kaiser

Reaction score
He’s done a good job so far

Another factor is that Maher has a much stronger leg. I loved Bailey as well but his automatic kicks (like the 3 he has this year) were 40 yards or closer. Maher has more distance and that will show up more as the season goes on.