Brett Maher now 8 of 9

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Maher has made a FG over 50 yards, and is 1 for 2 from over 40, so obviously he can make a kick from 40.

In any case, why would you guarantee that? I get that you think we should have kept Bailey, and that's not unreasonable, but this seems strangely personal for you - as if you want Maher to fail just for the sake of being able to say "I told you so".

I don't want him to fail, but I know he will... Not sure why that is a difficult thing to grasp.

CWR

Reaction score
Maher is the man! Get used to it Cowboy fans!

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No one thinks he was healthy. Topic well covered last year.

That was people speculating because he had trouble when he came back. I don't recall doctors or even Bailey himself saying he was still hurt.

DCowboyz

Reaction score
This better not be a jinx thread. I'll be back after the Houston game. ;)

VABoyz

Reaction score
WHEN i saw that we were settling for the field goal with enough time on the clock to get really close or the td, i was a lil salty because i just didnt trust him to make that kick in that situation..i was like damn we're gonna put it in THIS guy's hands..i went in the restroom at the bar on the kick and just went by the bar cheer to know whether make or miss! lmao now he has one clutch kick in his resume. keep going and build.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
That was people speculating because he had trouble when he came back. I don't recall doctors or even Bailey himself saying he was still hurt.

I recall estimates for his return and his actual return being well in advance of that. I think we can also deduce that he rushed back given his history and his performance upon his return.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
How do you know he will? Why do you think it is a certainty?

Because he is a scrub. Is it possible that he magically became a better kicker than he has been his entire career in the CFL and will be better in the NFL? I suppose. It isn't likely though.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Yeah I'll admit I was wrong about him. He might end up being BETTER than Bailey in his prime :omg:

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
Microcosm of Cowboys fans today.

Maher is 8 of 9 on field goals, but only has 3 kicks more than 40 yards out, he is 2/3 from 40+

But yes, please compare him to Dan Bailey who is 88.3 percent from 40-49 yards...
One of those 40+ was a 50 yarder and his only miss was his first fg. Everything sounds and look good about him

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I recall estimates for his return and his actual return being well in advance of that. I think we can also deduce that he rushed back given his history and his performance upon his return.

It's all supposition. There would be no benefit to the team to bring him back before he is physically able to do the job.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Buehler was accurate he would still be in the league with us he had a monster leg. But his accuracy from more than 20 yards was awful
That's just not true. It wasn't awful.

In 36 career games he made 24 out of 32 field goals.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because he is a scrub. Is it possible that he magically became a better kicker than he has been his entire career in the CFL and will be better in the NFL? I suppose. It isn't likely though.

Adam Venatieri's kicking % was a collective 80.4% in his 1st 6 years, and then as he matured started having seasons in the 90+% range. Matt Bryant was between 75% and 84% until his 9th season, but has been more 87% to 93% since. Steven Hauschka was 69% and 85% his first 2 seasons, but has been 87%+ since.

So, yes, kickers can, and do, improve with time.

Maher has kicked in 3 CFL seasons, the last 2 of which he was 82%. Not elite, but definitely not a scrub. And why can't he continue to improve if others can? It's certainly not for lack of leg. Plus, he doesn't have to bother with punting duties like he did in the CFL, so he can focus solely on kicking.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
The problem is kickers need to be able to make it from 40, especially when you have an offense that can't deliver. I guarantee you that by the end of the year Maher costs us minimum one game if not two.

I was against cutting Bailey but he cost us some games last year too

T-RO

Reaction score
The guy was playing hurt, but sure.

Bailey’s troubles started because of injury but he couldn’t pull himself together after he got healthy.

Bailey was 75% last season and missed some extra points too. He was ranked in the bottom third last year.

Bailey was not the same guy last season and he wasn’t kicking well in camp.

T-RO

Reaction score
No one thinks he was healthy. Topic well covered last year.

Not well enough it seems because you still didn’t get the memo. Even when healthy he was missing. And he was missing a lot in 2018 training camp.