Brian Billick Anyone?

AmericasTeam31

Reaction score
SuperCows5Xs;1314938 said:
That's true but he's had plenty of years there to get some talent and has'nt done it.

They are so caught up in the "defense wins championships" mantra, that they haven't focused on offense in a long time. Contrary to most on the zone, I like the Ravens, I live less than 1hr from B-more, so I watch most of their games. No one here even talks of their offensive issues, cause they are too caught up in praising the defense. Realistically the biggest reason for Heap's success is due to the lack of weapons around him. No one else can get open, and he's always the "safety valve" for their bus driver QB's.

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
DipChit;1314943 said:
More like for one thing not figuring out a way to get TO the ball more than 7 times for 105 yards in the last 3 most important games (NO, Phi, Sea.)combined.

Thats a problem, but how many did he drop, that's another problem.

Royal Laegotti

Reaction score
AmericasTeam31;1314944 said:
They are so caught up in the "defense wins championships" mantra, that they haven't focused on offense in a long time. Contrary to most on the zone, I like the Ravens, I live less than 1hr from B-more, so I watch most of their games. No one here even talks of their offensive issues, cause they are too caught up in praising the defense. Realistically the biggest reason for Heap's success is due to the lack of weapons around him. No one else can get open, and he's always the "safety valve" for their bus driver QB's.

I agree with that assesment, I think the Cowboys get caught up in that thinking as well since they use their 1st round picks on defense since '97.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
SuperCows5Xs;1314942 said:
Last time I checked inconsistency is a PROBLEM, and has been for years, how's that for common sense.

hows for common sense that we finished 4th in the league in Total Offense, and 2nd in League Scoring?

only time we lacked Consistency was when we slipped and bit it hard in December.

DipChit

Reaction score
SuperCows5Xs;1314945 said:
Thats a problem, but how many did he drop, that's another problem.

I dont know. But my point didnt have that much to do with TO specifically as it did the point that whoever your #1 WR is needs to be involved more than that somehow. Those numbers are the sort of numbers you might expect in any 1 game.. not over 3. Unless you ended up with those numbers because the guy had 4 or 5 drops in every game.

Royal Laegotti

Reaction score
the kid 05;1314952 said:
hows for common sense that we finished 4th in the league in Total Offense, and 2nd in League Scoring?

only time we lacked Consistency was when we slipped and bit it hard in December.

What does it matter what we ranked if we can't get it done in the most important part of the season or in key games against good teams. You can throw stats out the window when the season is on the line. Sure we've got some talent every team does, we don't have talent issues we have intangible issues. But we still do have some O-line issues.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AmericasTeam31;1314944 said:

Oddly they have addressed the offense the last few years.

Heap
Boller
Mason
McNair
Clayton

I am sure I have left off others as well.

Royal Laegotti

Reaction score
DipChit;1314959 said:
I dont know. But my point didnt have that much to do with TO specifically as it did the point that whoever your #1 WR is needs to be involved more than that somehow. Those numbers are the sort of numbers you might expect in any 1 game.. not over 3. Unless you ended up with those numbers because the guy had 4 or 5 drops in every game.

Yeah, those are poor numbers, I do wonder how route running from the recievers has effected all this. Remember game after game the announcers (Madden) would talk about T.O. running the GO route to close to the sidelines and end up out of bounds, just an example, but I wish we could see more routes that are run from the TV view.

Royal Laegotti

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1314969 said:

Heap
Boller
Mason
McNair
Clayton

Good point, I guess there is some other issues, there then, but Billick is an offensive guy it puzzles me how hasnt been able to fix it. Maybe he got complacent about his offense after winning a superbowl with virtually no offense.

Smith22

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1314969 said:

Heap
Boller
Mason
McNair
Clayton

Defense as well though.

Reed
Ngata
Suggs
Landry
Pryce

AmericasTeam31

Reaction score
SuperCows5Xs;1314976 said:
Good point, I guess there is some other issues, there then, but Billick is an offensive guy it puzzles me how hasnt been able to fix it. Maybe he got complacent about his offense after winning a superbowl with virtually no offense.

That's basically what I was trying to say. They have all bought in to the mantra and have made much better moves on the defensive side of the ball, rather than the offensive side. They are pretty "cheap" also. None of the moves they made on offense were real blockbuster deals. All the players they brought in are the same type of retreads BP likes to bring in to Dallas. There isn't much young talent on the offense to build around.

newlander

Reaction score
I'm with the majority here. Billick is a fraud. He's never done ANYTHING on offense with Baltimore: including this season. His defense is awesome because of Ozzie Newsome's drafting ability. I don't like Bilick: AT ALL!!!!!!

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
AmishCowboy;1314724 said:
Just guessing on my part, But if Brian Billick is fired, word here is it's Fifty-Fifty,would you guys like him as a coach?. I remember Jerry tried to hire him before Chan Gailey.

I like his no-nonsense attitude and approach. I dont know much else about him so I cant say....

He had a good team this year and SHOULD have advanced IMO. So he was one and done too.... so.....

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
The only thing holding our offense back from being the best in the league is our subpar OL.......we fix the OL and our offense will be unstoppable.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1314969 said:

Heap
Boller
Mason
McNair
Clayton

There problem's always been a half decent QB.

Dilfer was decent and they won it all.

Grbac was a bust, Billick was too stubborn to admit his mistake trading up for Akili Boller and are now stuck with a past is prime McNair and his bloated contract.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Biggems;1317102 said:
The only thing holding our offense back from being the best in the league is our subpar OL.......we fix the OL and our offense will be unstoppable.

While I agree for the most part.... being predictable and calling low percentage plays on offense hurt us too...

Romo is mobile enough to bail out the line atleast once in a while... that changed in the last 6 games or so..

Aikbach

Reaction score
AmishCowboy;1314724 said:
Just guessing on my part, But if Brian Billick is fired, word here is it's Fifty-Fifty,would you guys like him as a coach?. I remember Jerry tried to hire him before Chan Gailey.
Jerry didn't try and hire him as a head coach but as an offensive coordinator for Gailey's staff, since it would've been a lateral move the Vikings denied the Cowboys an interview.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Billick is not going anywhere.

He just promoted Neuheisel, typically an action that doesn't note that someone is about to be fired.