Brian Broaddus - NFL Scout: Cowboys Safeties are the problem not the Corners

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been mentioned or not.

While riding home from work, Brian Brodus, an NFL scout was on Galloway and Company.

He stated that he felt that the Safeties were the real problem in the Cowboys secondary and that they would probably do the Cowboys in at some point.

Responding to that statement, Matt Mosley asked him about Ken Hamlin. Stating that he was a Pro Bowl player last year.

Brian Brodus responded by saying, alot of players made the Pro Bowl last year and yet we are 7-4. He stated that they had paid alot of money to shore up that position and it was not paying off.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
I think most of us know this. Lately, it's been better, but we still don't have a true FS back there and haven't for years. I've said in the past that we need a true FS and to move Hamlin to SS. However, after watching Hamlin wiff on quite a few tackles since he's been here, I'm not so sure on that.

He just makes dumb mistakes way too often. It's either a bad angle, a bad attempt at a tackle, or screwing up in coverage.

cowboysfan31

Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2442000 said:
Not sure if this has been mentioned or not.

While riding home from work, Brian Brodus, an NFL scout was on Galloway and Company.

He stated that he felt that the Safeties were the real problem in the Cowboys secondary and that they would probably do the Cowboys in at some point.

Responding to that statement, Matt Mosley asked him about Ken Hamlin. Stating that he was a Pro Bowl player last year.

Brian Brodus responded by saying, alot of players made the Pro Bowl last year and yet we are 7-4. He stated that they had paid alot of money to shore up that position and it was not paying off.

Ken Hamlin has been up and down all season, but the other safety spot really hasn't done anything. Williams has been injured pretty much all year, Watkins can't track the ball in the air or tackle, Courtney Brown doesn't like contact, and Keith Davis is Keith Davis. I don't think this is new to anybody.

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
If Hamlin has any sack at all he will, at the very least, bring the house against his old team the Seahawks.

Mr.davon24

PGH Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be great if they have been working Anthony cement shoes in that postion? Awwww wishfully thinking. Also keep in mind that Adam is back too.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Mr. Broaddus posts here. Always like seeing his comments out there.

superpunk

Reaction score
Just to be clear, I do not think Broaddus is a scout any longer, is he?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
superpunk;2442086 said:
Just to be clear, I do not think Broaddus is a scout any longer, is he?

Nope.

Big Bill wasn't happy with his Ryan Young evaluations.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I am hopeful that in the offseason they will move Henry to FS and Hamlin over to SS where I think he'll be a better fit as well.

This is Our Year

Ohama, Kill, 52 is the Mike
Reaction score
I love Jenkins, but Kenny Phillips looks like he is going to be a heck of a player for the Giants.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
This is Our Year;2442115 said:
I love Jenkins, but Kenny Phillips looks like he is going to be a heck of a player for the Giants.

We supposedly really liked him too.

BUT

We had to go Corner and Jenkins was a steal for where we picked him.

Pacman was no trust worthy... As shown. And Henry was always injury prone.

Plus Scandrick wasn't even a thought either.

Phillips was a crazy steal where he was drafted though. I can't believe so many teams missed the boat on him and let him slide to the Giants of all teams.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
larry brown and babe laufenberg have been saying this most of the season also.

We really get nothing from our safeties.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Wait, Watkins and Davis aren't starting quality safeties?

Who knew?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
So this means we spend another high draft choice on the secondary?

We have tried it all. Drafting. Throw money at it. Why is it so hard to simply get a safety that you does not keep you up at night? It does not seem to be hamper other teams nearly as much as it has been a cinderblock chained to this defense since 2004.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
We need to move Henry to FS and Hamlin to SS. Get our best players on the field at the positions that they can help us the most.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Broadus,

If you can read this please hit me up with a PM.

I wont give away your identity and i'd love to read your posts on here.

I love your segment on GAC and you need to come up with a way to have your segment podcasted on their website.

Tons of Cowboys fans would love to get their hands on that segment and its not always Podcasted.

You could get hundreds of extra listeners.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
hear me out on this...the best FS for this team would be Newman. His speed and range would make it impossible for us to ever get beat deep and he is physical. The problem is we don't and shouldn't trust Pac Man. But if Pac man was a changed man....we could play Pac, Scandrick, Jenkins, Ball and whomever else at CB...move Hamlin to SS and let Newman play the single high safety. In fact, I think we should do that anyway in 3rd and long.