Brian Broaddus - NFL Scout: Cowboys Safeties are the problem not the Corners

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zman5;2442285 said:
The crazier steal for a safety was Horton for the Deadskins. They got him in 7th round. He is a SS but that dude makes more plays then all of the scrub safeties we have combined.

I was going to post the same thing. He's been playing great. It's early, but I think he's better than Sean Taylor ever was.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
kidcrook;2442718 said:
This may have been asked already but who did we keep that made us think we could just let Abram Elam walk?

either Alan Ball or Courtney Brown

that's the downside of holdovers from the old staff, esp. if you're deemed expendable, the new staff likes molding their roster and if you aren't established and good, you go

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2442822 said:
either Alan Ball or Courtney Brown

that's the downside of holdovers from the old staff, esp. if you're deemed expendable, the new staff likes molding their roster and if you aren't established and good, you go

I find it amusing that one safety avoids contact (Brown) and the other (Watkins) doesn't know how to initiate it. Watkins is going to have a perpetual "stinger" as long as he keeps tackling with his head down.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Zimmy Lives;2442824 said:
I find it amusing that one safety avoids contact (Brown) and the other (Watkins) doesn't know how to initiate it. Watkins is going to have a perpetual "stinger" as long as he keeps tackling with his head down.

that's why there aren't many 6'5" safeties

Shotgun Dave

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2442109 said:
I am hopeful that in the offseason they will move Henry to FS and Hamlin over to SS where I think he'll be a better fit as well.

Maybe, but we have needed a high round draft pick spent on a safety for at least 3 years now. I know it doesn't always fall the way you would want, but we've passed over a few that would've helped the secondary - usually while adding o-linemen that never play well for us.

aikemirv

Reaction score
12 draft picks:

1 - NT
3 - Inside LB's
4 - Olineman
3 - Safeties
1 - WR

and a partridge in a pear tree!

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
jterrell;2442284 said:
well Woody spoiled us.

Not many safeties can play man coverage on WRs and then hit people so hard the NFL fines him 25K.

We need to draft a safety with a day 1 pick. Tossing 5th through 7th rounders at it is not getting it done. Teams value them much more highly now because they a key role with all the added passing going on.

Brock Marion was no slouch either.

On goes the annual refrain: safety, please!

Reaction score
Hamlin is a solid FS. He just needs a quality partner he can trust. That is why a SS should be high on the draft list for this team next April.

I was watching the kid from Oklahoma, Nic Harris, during the Texas Tech game. He seems to be a decent cover man, and, at 6-3, 225, brings a load when he hits.

Anyone else seen much of him? I know RW is from Oklahoma, but that doesn't mean Harris can't cover either.

Comments about Harris?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
bbailey423;2442234 said:
hear me out on this...the best FS for this team would be Newman. His speed and range would make it impossible for us to ever get beat deep and he is physical. The problem is we don't and shouldn't trust Pac Man. But if Pac man was a changed man....we could play Pac, Scandrick, Jenkins, Ball and whomever else at CB...move Hamlin to SS and let Newman play the single high safety. In fact, I think we should do that anyway in 3rd and long.

Newman is not big enough to play safety. And if you think he gets injured enough now put him back there and you'll not see him much.

JIMMYBUFFETT;2442315 said:
I'm okay with Hamlin . He may not have lived up to his price tag , but he's been fairly solid . SS is where Dallas is really struggling , and I think R. Williams and K. Davis have probably seen their last season in a Cowboys uniform . That said , Dallas will be in a great position to acquire a safety this year . Depending on what kind of tender Baltimore places on RFA SS Dawan Landry , he may be well worth a look . The draft is also stocked with both free and strong safetys this year . I expect for 2-3 to go in the first round T. Mays , W. Moore , and M. Rolle . In the second round there should be guys like E. Cook , K. Chancellor , P. Chung , M. Hamlin , and N. Harris still left on the board . If Dallas wants to make a move at the position , this would be a good "value" year .

Good work. I thought Mike Hamlin out of Clemson might be a steal but he doesn't seem to have a lot of fire or make a lot of plays.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Cogan;2443003 said:
Hamlin is a solid FS. He just needs a quality partner he can trust. That is why a SS should be high on the draft list for this team next April.

I was watching the kid from Oklahoma, Nic Harris, during the Texas Tech game. He seems to be a decent cover man, and, at 6-3, 225, brings a load when he hits.

Anyone else seen much of him? I know RW is from Oklahoma, but that doesn't mean Harris can't cover either.

Comments about Harris?

Hamlin is just an average FS, he could be a very good SS though, speed is good for the SS position

I think we can leave the safety positions as status quo, Ken at FS, and Roy at strong, and draft us a 3rd/nickel safety who can come in on passing situations and we can take Roy off, or move him to that nickel LB role

lineup in passing situations could be:

FS: fast rookie
SS: Hamlin
Newman
Jenkins
Scandrick
PacMan

LB: Roy

then the front 4/46

I got my eye on Alabama FS Rashad Johnson in the 2nd, if he's not available, I wait a couple of rounds and take Mississippi State S Derrick Pegues, those 2 guys are undersized but are great in coverage, fast too

Tobal

Reaction score
No 5 on OU looked incredible that game. he made play after play

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Cogan;2443003 said:

Comments about Harris?

I watched Harris play against Texas and he looked like crap . I watched Harris play against Texas Tech and he looked great . Maybe I'll watch him against Oklahoma State and bsae my decision completely off that . :)

Patrick Chung from Oregon is the kid I really like . Oregn won't even list him as a position other than "rover" , because they'll line him up at SS , FS , CB , and LB depending on circumstances . He starts the game in the SS spot though , so that's what I'll call him . He can also return some kicks for you .

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Cogan;2443003 said:
Comments about Harris?

He was active against Texas Tech, that's for sure.

He also ran his mouth the whole game.

BHendri5

Reaction score
hamlin has been down all season, not up and down, just down. now we see why the hawks did not resign him.

he played his tail off and got his contract ,now hewas to fat cat it.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
kidcrook;2442718 said:
This may have been asked already but who did we keep that made us think we could just let Abram Elam walk?

Just another mistake in a long line of mistakes at safety in Dallas. They need to hit on one or two this next draft and/or FA.

BHendri5;2443261 said:
hamlin has been down all season, not up and down, just down. now we see why the hawks did not resign him.

he played his tail off and got his contract ,now hewas to fat cat it.

I wasn't that impressed with him last year but I did think he was better than what he's showed so far this year.

Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2442000 said:
Not sure if this has been mentioned or not.

While riding home from work, Brian Brodus, an NFL scout was on Galloway and Company.

He stated that he felt that the Safeties were the real problem in the Cowboys secondary and that they would probably do the Cowboys in at some point.

Responding to that statement, Matt Mosley asked him about Ken Hamlin. Stating that he was a Pro Bowl player last year.

Brian Brodus responded by saying, alot of players made the Pro Bowl last year and yet we are 7-4. He stated that they had paid alot of money to shore up that position and it was not paying off.

Wow...he must have years of experience to diagnose that one...

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2442000 said:
Not sure if this has been mentioned or not.

While riding home from work, Brian Brodus, an NFL scout was on Galloway and Company.

He stated that he felt that the Safeties were the real problem in the Cowboys secondary and that they would probably do the Cowboys in at some point.

Responding to that statement, Matt Mosley asked him about Ken Hamlin. Stating that he was a Pro Bowl player last year.

Brian Brodus responded by saying, alot of players made the Pro Bowl last year and yet we are 7-4. He stated that they had paid alot of money to shore up that position and it was not paying off.

Hamlin and Davis are probably the worst pair of starting safeties in football, and they are backed up by two even bigger scrubs in Watkins and Brown.

Hamlin is the biggest waste of money Jones has ever signed.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
dbair1967;2443342 said:
Hamlin and Davis are probably the worst pair of starting safeties in football, and they are backed up by two even bigger scrubs in Watkins and Brown.

I thought he played very well last year.

I am sure if I dig up some old threads, alot of folks were saying the same thing last year.

I don't know why, but I just always get this feeling that alot of the players we think are not good could go to other teams and be solid contributors.

Not trying to blame Wade Phillips or the organization, but like Alexander stated, we have done everything possible to shore up that position, can't get it right and other teams seem to not have as much trouble.

Reaction score
dbair1967;2443342 said:

Vanderjagt