Brian Broaddus - NFL Scout: Cowboys Safeties are the problem not the Corners

Section446

Reaction score
That's been no secret for years; Roy Williams has been screwing up the secondary from the moment he stepped in Texas Stadium.

FCBarca

Reaction score
This is Our Year;2442115 said:
I love Jenkins, but Kenny Phillips looks like he is going to be a heck of a player for the Giants.

Secondary has become a real strength for the G-men...They've scored in the draft

Wood

Reaction score
I thought Hamlin has really stepped up. He is a better blitzer than I expected. Greg Ellis finally looks like he re-discovered how to rush the passer and Canty is playing like he did a week ago. Those two things have made everyone in secondary better.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Big Dakota;2442126 said:
Just hasn't been the same since Woody retired.

Darn skippy and I'm not talking about peanutbutter. :D

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;2442271 said:
Darn skippy and I'm not talking about peanutbutter. :D

well Woody spoiled us.

Not many safeties can play man coverage on WRs and then hit people so hard the NFL fines him 25K.

We need to draft a safety with a day 1 pick. Tossing 5th through 7th rounders at it is not getting it done. Teams value them much more highly now because they a key role with all the added passing going on.

Zman5

Reaction score
CATCH17;2442123 said:
We supposedly really liked him too.

BUT

We had to go Corner and Jenkins was a steal for where we picked him.

Pacman was no trust worthy... As shown. And Henry was always injury prone.

Plus Scandrick wasn't even a thought either.

Phillips was a crazy steal where he was drafted though. I can't believe so many teams missed the boat on him and let him slide to the Giants of all teams.

The crazier steal for a safety was Horton for the Deadskins. They got him in 7th round. He is a SS but that dude makes more plays then all of the scrub safeties we have combined.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
We need to move Henry to SS and start Scandrick, problem solved...

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2442000 said:
Not sure if this has been mentioned or not.

While riding home from work, Brian Brodus, an NFL scout was on Galloway and Company.

He stated that he felt that the Safeties were the real problem in the Cowboys secondary and that they would probably do the Cowboys in at some point.

Responding to that statement, Matt Mosley asked him about Ken Hamlin. Stating that he was a Pro Bowl player last year.

Brian Brodus responded by saying, alot of players made the Pro Bowl last year and yet we are 7-4. He stated that they had paid alot of money to shore up that position and it was not paying off.

Speaking of Hamlin, my biggest disappointment player of the year BTW, I saw him knock the ball out of Hills' hand and his "post-swipe" antics were of legendary proportion.

Now, what I saw was our safety, takin' a bad angle on a blitz, miss a possible "blow-up" sack and swipped the ball instead. He should of been grasping his helmet in despair for the missed opportunity. He chose the dance. Yet another visual display of this teams contentment with mediocrtiy. Thanks for sending that home, Ken...........:bang2:

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
I'm okay with Hamlin . He may not have lived up to his price tag , but he's been fairly solid . SS is where Dallas is really struggling , and I think R. Williams and K. Davis have probably seen their last season in a Cowboys uniform . That said , Dallas will be in a great position to acquire a safety this year . Depending on what kind of tender Baltimore places on RFA SS Dawan Landry , he may be well worth a look . The draft is also stocked with both free and strong safetys this year . I expect for 2-3 to go in the first round T. Mays , W. Moore , and M. Rolle . In the second round there should be guys like E. Cook , K. Chancellor , P. Chung , M. Hamlin , and N. Harris still left on the board . If Dallas wants to make a move at the position , this would be a good "value" year .

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Wood;2442240 said:
I thought Hamlin has really stepped up. He is a better blitzer than I expected. Greg Ellis finally looks like he re-discovered how to rush the passer and Canty is playing like he did a week ago. Those two things have made everyone in secondary better.

Hamlin has not been all that good this season but the point Broaddus should make is that no one on defense has really played to their capabilities this season other than Ware and Ratliff. The safety play, however, will improve as long as the entire defense makes improvement.

In his defense, though, Broaddus' statement was pertaining to the lack of impact Adam Jones would have on the Cowboys secondary. In his opinion, CB play was not a problem as much as the poor play of the safeties.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
I think Hamlin is a great center-fielder. His strength is preventing the deep ball. He is solid, and if he didn't resign with us, the Cowboys would be looking like the 2005-2006 version. You would be giving up 60 yard bombs every game.

Hamlin helps prevent the deep ball. That is his strength. I would leave him at FS and let him roam. He is a good blitzer, too.

I don't think he would be as good at SS because of tackling and bad angles to the ball.

aikemirv

Reaction score
41gy#;2442452 said:
I think Hamlin is a great center-fielder. His strength is preventing the deep ball. He is solid, and if he didn't resign with us, the Cowboys would be looking like the 2005-2006 version. You would be giving up 60 yard bombs every game.

Hamlin helps prevent the deep ball. That is his strength. I would leave him at FS and let him roam. He is a good blitzer, too.

I don't think he would be as good at SS because of tackling and bad angles to the ball.

He would be a better SS than Davis and Henry would be as good as Hamlin in center field as you would say.

That is the best option period. I would put Jenkins in Henry's spot and Scandrick plays the nickle.
There is no reason that our Nickle package should contain Watkins or Davis at all.

4 CB's and Hamlin.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I think Hamlin is fine, he's not all world, but I'm sure our smart fan base knows you can't have studs at every position.

I think SS is a problem whether it's Davis, Ball or RW. This is one of the areas we need to focus on in the offseason.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
ddh33;2442399 said:
I think the Cowboys' best safety is on IR.
I agree 100%.

I hate the constant ideas of moving Henry to FS and now SS. As if it solves anything.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Hostile;2442536 said:
I agree 100%.

I hate the constant ideas of moving Henry to FS and now SS. As if it solves anything.

While I disagree 100% on our best SS being on IR (Roy Williams is done) , I agree 100% on not moving Henry to any safety position . Henry isn't a safety and won't be with the exception of maybe nickle or dime situations . Personally I wouldn't change much . Start Newman and Pac-Man (yeah right) next season with Scandrick playing nickle . If Pac isn't here , start Newman and Jenkins with Scandrick playing nickle . I keep Henry around no matter what . He'll be a good backup CB or situational S . Keep Hamlin where he is and sign a free-agent/draft a SS .

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
aikemirv;2442467 said:
He would be a better SS than Davis and Henry would be as good as Hamlin in center field as you would say.

That is the best option period. I would put Jenkins in Henry's spot and Scandrick plays the nickle.
There is no reason that our Nickle package should contain Watkins or Davis at all.

4 CB's and Hamlin.

I respect your view, and I agree with starting Jenkins over Henry. I've been calling for it, too. If SS is an issue in coverage and it is, then, in my opinion, you need to get your best corners on the field. I hope Jenkins can get back fast. If not, they really need to get Pacman ready to play. You can hide Davis some by playing him up close like he did against the Commanders. He has played pretty well in the box. However, you can't really hide two weaker spots in coverage.

If you want to see Hamlin's true value, look at the 2007 Pro Bowl. He put on a clinic in center-field. He was roaming the field sideline to sideline. He has great range. I still say leave him there. Also, look at the 2006 Saints game and all the other bombs from 2005-2006 like I stated earlier. Hamlin prevents the bombs, and that prevents points. Teams can't pick on him like they did the other Dallas safeties in 2005-2006.

To me, Henry is the primary concern, not the strong safety position. If a healthy Mike Jenkins could man his spot, you would get much stronger. I think the strength at corner can offset the weakness at SS if you use the right guy.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
41gy#;2442452 said:

Hamlin is a great CFielder, unfortunately teams don't need to even attempt to test him, they can just throw the ball short of him knowing that he won't diagnose it, to get up there to make an attempt on it

Hamlin needs to see the field, and needs the ball/receiver to be in his immediate area, or he's not doing squat

WarDaddy

kidcrook
Reaction score
This may have been asked already but who did we keep that made us think we could just let Abram Elam walk?