Bring back the Dink-&-Dak

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I want a team and a QB to impose their will on defenses. Not “taking what the opposing defense gives you”.

This team is too mistake-prone for long methodical drives that end in Tds. They are too poorly coached.

As an aside, what top qbs do you know dink and dunk besides Brady?
Brees, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Mahomes and your group's favorite, Wince.

aikemirv

Reaction score
This game plan stuff for the Packers is nonsense. We have no idea what their gameplan was since they went down 17-0. That said, I liked the way they came out. I would have chosen the exact same thing. You take advantage of what the defense is doing. Packers would have thought we were going to run it down their throat after what the Eagles did to them. Taking advantage of them keying on the run was the right thing to do on that first drive. Cooper just screwed it up with the drop.

The second drive stalled as we passed on first, ran on 2nd for no gain and got sacked on 3rd

3rd drive was another pick.

Game plan was pretty much out the window after the Pollard series with another sack.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Dak has to be able to check down quicker. He is being a bit greedy. He needs to see the pressure coming as well. A lot of the times he moves out of the pocket too late.

GMO415

Reaction score
@WillieBeamen , @PAPPYDOG and their group hate the dink-n-dunk philosophy because it is opposite of their beloved Romo's way of playing football. This is what they fail to understand about winning football and taking what the opposing defense gives you. They want the gunslinging performance show at all costs because they get bored. ADD

:facepalm:
After two losses, I can see JG returning to the ball control method of winning the time of possession.

GMO415

Reaction score
They need to mix it up. A little dink and dunk, runs, and occasionally through it deep with some intermediate passes sprinkled in...
I think that's the way we need to run this offense. Moore better start game planning against his opponent, and stop sticking to a general script.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
No

As much as I kill Dak, I rather air out than see the dink and dunk crap.

Dak works better with "dink and dunk" - what you're getting with air it out is a 2 TD and 3 INT performance. Turnovers usually determines victories and losses. There is a reason average Alex Smith made the playoffs all but 1 time from 2011 to 2017

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The problem with trying to reenact what our offense did in 2016 is that our O-line is now a shell of its former self and we can’t go 4 or 5 plays without committing a drive-killing holding penalty.

The best thing for offense is to hit on splash plays, get up on our opponent early and then resort to Zeek’ing & Dak’ing to kill the clock.

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
Dak works better with "dink and dunk" - what you're getting with air it out is a 2 TD and 3 INT performance. Turnovers usually determines victories and losses. There is a reason average Alex Smith made the playoffs all but 1 time from 2011 to 2017

This.

Short and intermediate passes is where Dak thrives. If we're going to keep him around and pay him 35Mill per, we may as well play to his strength.

GMO415

Reaction score
Dink and Dak works great with an elite RB....oh wait

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree, the game plans should have been reversed. Heavy run against the Pack and air it out against the Saints.

But that would take a competent head coach to realize that and well, we are kinda missing one of those at the moment.:laugh:
The Cowboys actually started out mixing in a lot of the running game, but when they got down 17-0, then 24-0 they abandoned the run almost completely.

The biggest thing is the offense has to clean up the mistakes, The Cowboys generated about 230 more yards of offense than Green Bay did, but the turnovers and penalties kept them from scoring.

GMO415

Reaction score
The Cowboys actually started out mixing in a lot of the running game, but when they got down 17-0, then 24-0 they abandoned the run almost completely.

The biggest thing is the offense has to clean up the mistakes, The Cowboys generated about 230 more yards of offense than Green Bay did, but the turnovers and penalties kept them from scoring.
But our time of possession was crap.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But our time of possession was crap.
Which fits with exactly what I said. We had turnovers that shortened possessions, and then after we got down by 3 scores or more (which was pretty early on) we mostly abandoned the running game.