Video: Broaddus believes Earl will be a Cowboy **merged**

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Selecting Zack Martin over Johnny Maniel, second round selection of Conner Williams because he was sitting there over a trade for Earl Thomas, both decisions that will benefit the Cowboys for 10 years......Championships are built in the trenches, not through the safety position...not taking anything away from Earl Thoms, he's a great safety, but I'd prefer some great defensive linemen to make the defense dominant..

Playmakers are playmakers, they make a difference on any team. I don't disagree with DL and it's importance but does not change the fact that a player like Thomas can make a big difference on a defense.

Verdict

Reaction score
Agreed. It’s not like he is a elite QB or a position that is gonna dominate a game by himself.

I'm not sure he would make that much of a difference. I think his best days are behind him.

If he wanted to play for the hometown discount that's fine. But I would rather stick with what we have (which I think will be adequate barring injury) and look to draft one in the next year's draft, or in final roster cutdowns this year.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Playmakers are playmakers, they make a difference on any team. I don't disagree with DL and it's importance but does not change the fact that a player like Thomas can make a big difference on a defense.

I agree Thomas would be an upgrade, but don't you think Thomas also benefited greatly from a stout Seattle defensive line on their Superbowl runs who were getting consistant pressure rushing just four guys....

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I agree Thomas would be an upgrade, but don't you think Thomas also benefited greatly from a stout Seattle defensive line on their Superbowl runs who were getting consistant pressure rushing just four guys....

I think often the DL and secondary go hand in hand, you think DL benefits when the QB has to pull the ball down because his targets are covered? As for Thomas he is a great talent and wants to be in Dallas. Does not mean I would give anything to get him, as I mentioned I would be willing to send a 2nd to the Seahawks for him. If in the end Dallas is unable to work a deal then so be it but I would love to see him here if
possible

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
I think often the DL and secondary go hand in hand, you think DL benefits when the QB has to pull the ball down because his targets are covered? As for Thomas he is a great talent and wants to be in Dallas. Does not mean I would give anything to get him, as I mentioned I would be willing to send a 2nd to the Seahawks for him. If in the end Dallas is unable to work a deal then so be it but I would love to see him here if
possible

In todays NFL, unless you're getting consistant pressure, penetration up the middle and force the QB off his spot in the pocket, or out of the pocket or make him relase the ball before he wants too, no secondary can cover for 4 and 5 seconds in todays NFL..Giants, Seattle,Denver as did the ninties cowboys did that and won 3 Superbowls, Leon Lett never got a great deal of sacks but his penetration into the backfield disupted the running game and forced QB's out of the pocket only to be sack by others..For me this team for a decade has desperately needed a dominant inside presense for consistant pressure up the middle to be dominant and they just aren't there yet. Collins showed promise but injury has hampered him, Ward was traded for to help inside, Crawford is a jack of all trades, Taco has entering his second year, has problems staying on his feet, Irving has ben inconsistant and can't stay on the field suspension and injury, Gregory has been out of football for nearly two years, a lot of question marks along this defensive line going into this season, the only known exception is Lawrence who is top of the heap!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
In todays NFL, unless you're getting consistant pressure, penetration up the middle and force the QB off his spot in the pocket, or out of the pocket or make him relase the ball before he wants too, no secondary can cover for 4 and 5 seconds in todays NFL..Giants, Seattle,Denver as did the ninties cowboys did that and won 3 Superbowls, Leon Lett never got a great deal of sacks but his penetration into the backfield disupted the running game and forced QB's out of the pocket only to be sack by others..For me this team for a decade has desperately needed a dominant inside presense for consistant pressure up the middle to be dominant and they just aren't there yet. Collins showed promise but injury has hampered him, Ward was traded for to help inside, Crawford is a jack of all trades, Taco has entering his second year, has problems staying on his feet, Irving has ben inconsistant and can't stay on the field suspension and injury, Gregory has been out of football for nearly two years, a lot of question marks along this defensive line going into this season, the only known exception is Lawrence who is top of the heap!

I think a pass rush is important I also know that forcing a QB to double clutch or pull the ball down allows the DL more time to get to the QB and see it every week in the NFL. It is not only DL, secondary makes a big difference.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To be fair did you see more than a handful of plays by ET last year?
No, but I did see Heath. He will be a lot better playing with someone like Thomas. He is good and getting better. I just think the team as a whole will need better with Thomas.

InTheZone

Reaction score
No, but I did see Heath. He will be a lot better playing with someone like Thomas. He is good and getting better. I just think the team as a whole will need better with Thomas.
With awuzie and Lewis on the outside, unsure of Jones there, and Heath and Thomas I will say they have the best secondary in the league. I'm already high on Awuzie/Jones and Heath is solid already. Secondary went from what seems like a league worst weakness two years ago to the complete opposite.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
I'll take ET, if he gives a home town discount...Say 3 million/year with incentives...Otherwise I'll roll with what we have.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Let the D-Bag stay and pout.

Anyone whining that he's not participating until his "contract situation" is resolved - when there is no "situation", except for the fact that he wants more than he agreed to, deserves to wallow in self-pity.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
To bad he isn't elite anymore. Not sure a clubhouse cancer is needed on such a young team.

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
I just left my home of 4 years (Job) for one that paid the exact same. You want to know why? Because I have a chance to learn.

ET wants to come home. He won't take a cut, I can promise you that but it won't be 13mil either.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have the same feeling. I think that this new offense is going to struggle without a proven big threat wr and tightend.

Take a look at the pedestrian numbers the "big threat receiver and tight end" put up in 2016. That team went 13-3 with those paltry numbers.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/2016.htm

Less than 800 receiving yards from Bryant, and 673 from Witten. That's isn't anything that should worry someone about replacing.

Verdict

Reaction score
How many times does this need to be repeated?
They don't have a cap issue.

Not currently. But you cant ignore the fact that we are going to have a lot of cap space spoken for if we keep all of our own guys.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Well I mean they offered the third. Doubt they would have done that if there wasn't a deal struck

Maybe you should stop speculating on things until you have some actual facts. Like I said, YOU are the only one I've read that seems to think the Cowboys and Thomas already worked out a new contract. Again if that was true EVERY sportswriter and talking head would have been talking non stop about that but none of them, zip, nada, zero have.