Broaddus: Castonzo most likely will be the pick

JBS

Reaction score
Have a great deal of respect for @mattmosley and others that have told me Castonzo will most likely be the pick. Still ?s to ask and will

Via twitter

JBS

Reaction score
Here is his follow up

even if they have to stand in there at 9, it sounds like they are prepared to take Castonzo or maybe Watt. Needs to see board

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
I'm not going to jump on Brian's side just because he is saying something I agree with, I have been very critical of him in the past but this is jiving with everything I have been saying for 2 or 3 weeks now.

With that said, your not going to convince me that Dallas will take him at 9. I know they have Castanzo, Smith, Watt and Jordan are very closely graded and would be happy to walk away with any of them.

They know as well as we do that a trade down 5 or 6 slots is likely to land you one of those guys in addition to multiple picks.

JBS

Reaction score
Let's assume these are the two players we are selecting from..let's leave out whether it's @ 9 or 15 or anywhere else...which player would you rather have? I fully believe these are our top 2 targets

SDogo

Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;3918872 said:
Let's assume these are the two players we are selecting from..let's leave out whether it's @ 9 or 15 or anywhere else...which player would you rather have? I fully believe these are our top 2 targets

I would rather have Smith but as I have been saying with very unwelcoming responses, Smith is simply not ready to step in and play this year. The Cowboys see it the same way but they also see his ceiling is twice that of Anthony.

Castanzo offers you a player ready to come in Day 1 and play yet and be solid for the next 10 years. Maybe making a pro bowl or two in that time.

Smith offers you a players that need a years development and an additional of growing pains but will give you 15 years of pro-bowl level play.

The Cowboys just need to weigh the importance of production now or franchise player later.

burmafrd

Reaction score
they will not take Castonso without a trade down. They will not take him at #9. Mosely is being fed BS.
Broadus has fallen in love with being a mediot and his quality is dropping. He wants to be 'relevent' and it is not a good thing.

DFWJC

Reaction score
SDogo;3918870 said:
I'm not going to jump on Brian's side just because he is saying something I agree with, I have been very critical of him in the past but this is jiving with everything I have been saying for 2 or 3 weeks now.

With that said, your not going to convince me that Dallas will take him at 9. I know they have Castanzo, Smith, Watt and Jordan are very closely graded and would be happy to walk away with any of them.

They know as well as we do that a trade down 5 or 6 slots is likely to land you one of those guys in addition to multiple picks.
I'd be a little upset if they took him at 9. Unless they have have him valued that high (which I doubt) I'd prefer to take Castanzo in a trade down (if at all) then use the extra pick(s) to trade up later if necessary to grab anther starter. That's IF we went for this guy.

burmafrd

Reaction score
IF the boys really do believe that Smith is going to be that much better down the road there is NO excuse for not taking him.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I think we all agree a trade down with picking castonzo or even a long shot in smith we would all be ecstatic. I still want to trade for pp but I'd be happy with one of these two ol

SDogo

Reaction score
Bowdown27;3918892 said:
I think we all agree a trade down with picking castonzo or even a long shot in smith we would all be ecstatic. I still want to trade for pp but I'd be happy with one of these two ol

I would be ecstatic with any 3 of those scenario's.

fishspill

Reaction score
If they're that high on him then I really hope I'm wrong on his level of ability. I love his IQ, I love how he doesn't waste energy and plays smart, I just don't know about his ability to stick to a guy.

I'm no scout. I've also seen him do really well. I'm concerned about consistency. Just one uneducated opinion.

fortdick

Reaction score
fishspill;3918897 said:
If they're that high on him then I really hope I'm wrong on his level of ability. I love his IQ, I love how he doesn't waste energy and plays smart, I just don't know about his ability to stick to a guy.

I'm no scout. I've also seen him do really well. I'm concerned about consistency. Just one uneducated opinion.

Of whom do you speak?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
burmafrd;3918889 said:
IF the boys really do believe that Smith is going to be that much better down the road there is NO excuse for not taking him.

As I've said before a lot depends on how much of last year was due to injury to Colombo and how much they think they can depend on him this year. Smith is not ready to play right away. Constonzo is.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
burmafrd;3918889 said:

Amen.

It seems to me that we're getting way too far into need and "ready to play now" this year. Whatever happened to taking the best player available? Does anyone really think Anthony Castonzo is truly the ninth (or better) best player in the entire country? Or better said, that in two to three years he'll be the ninth (or better) best NFL player from this draft class?

I don't. He seems very ordinary to me. What's so special about him?

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
If we were drafting Smith to play LT, I'd go for it. I think it makes more sense to trade down for a RT.

fishspill

Reaction score
fortdick;3918898 said:
Of whom do you speak?

Sorry. Castonzo. I don't hate the pick, I just don't like him that high. I like 4 or 5 OL ahead of him. People that get paid for knowing disagree.

fortdick

Reaction score
jobberone;3918901 said:
As I've said before a lot depends on how much of last year was due to injury to Colombo and how much they think they can depend on him this year. Smith is not ready to play right away. Constonzo is.

If they trade down to get Peterson, that will tell us they think Columbo is good to go for another year. I would be happy if he was healthy and back to form, then we could fill other needs like FS and DE.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
SDogo;3918870 said:

I'm sure you've written on the topic before, but what's your take on Castanzo? What do you think about him?

JBS

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3918904 said:
Amen.

It seems to me that we're getting way too far into need and "ready to play now" this year. Whatever happened to taking the best player available? Does anyone really think Anthony Castonzo is truly the ninth (or better) best player in the entire country? Or better said, that in two to three years he'll be the ninth (or better) best NFL player from this draft class?

I don't. He seems very ordinary to me. What's so special about him?

MOST, key word there, draft sites have Castonzo ranked anywhere from 11-15 overall..and a few of those guys between 9-15 that are ahead of him are guys like Gabbert, Newton, Jones..etc..guys we wouldn't consider taking

JBS

Reaction score
realtick;3918912 said:
I'm sure you've written on the topic before, but what's your take on Castanzo? What do you think about him?

I have the same question for you...and one other..Watt or Castonzo if you had to pick?