Broaddus: Castonzo most likely will be the pick

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
SDogo;3918943 said:

I was partly kidding because I knew he was the question, but really, when most people read

- Good feet but lacks technique
- More athlete than technical player
- Needs a lot of time in an NFL weight room

they'd think that describes Smith (or even Solder), not Castonzo.

Just curious, how does this jibe with what you said earlier about Castonzo being ready to play from Day One and be solid for a decade?

Meh... I'm with realtick on Castonzo. He looks awkward as athlete to me, and you can't have that in a top-10 overall OT.

Also, this "he can be moved to guard" talk doesn't mean anything to me. If anything, it's a negative, much like when people talk about how corners can be moved to safety. When was an Okung or Williams talked about being versatile enough to play inside? Never. A top 10 or even 15 pick should excel at his original, more valuable position with no hedging in case he can't play.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
AsthmaField;3918978 said:
Very well said.

I remember distinctly so badly wanting Dallas to draft Marc Spindler DT out of Pitt in the 1990 draft. He was a big, mean, hard working guy who would be perfect for the middle of Jimmy Johnson's defense.

When the Cowboys traded up from the 20's to pick #17, I was convinced that they were moving up for my guy Spindler. Instead they drafted a guy named Emmitt Smith, and while I thought he was a good player, I was greatly disappointed to see them pass on Spindler.

I just knew they missed the next Randy White. :eek::

No need to explain how off I was on that. Emmitt was one of the best RB's ever, Spindler was average and they simply picked up Tony Castillas from Atlanta to man the middle of the DL.

I have watched every draft since that one and it never fails to amaze me how far off the draft "experts" can be. Or how far off we fans can be.

The bottom line I suppose is that you can just never tell. If we pass on T Smith and take JJ Watt, there will be a lot of teeth gnashing, but in three years, Watt could very well be a pro bowler and Smith could be another Alex Barron.

Or vice versa.

I agree that so called draft guru's probably don't know any more than you or I do, and really the only one's who know more are the team's coaches and scouts. They have access to things we can only dream of and they get the chance to sit down with the players and pick their brains.

And since they do get the chance to do that, when they pick a guy I don't want them to... like they did in 1990 with Emmitt Smith... I now tend to think they know a whole lot more than I (or any of the Kiper types) do about it.

If the Cowboys take Castonzo at 9, I'll be just fine with it.

I think if I had to chose between Tyron Smith at 9, or Gabe Carimi and a 3rd I will take Tyron. And I respect what Carimi brings.

In other words, in order to drop down to our #2, or #3 tackle I am going to need a 2nd round pick back in some fashion.

JBS

Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3918984 said:
See I always thought the pundits were good for telling you about where a guy is supposed to go. For the most part when it comes to my personal opinion on a player I like to do it the old school way and watch youtube.

For example besides Vontaze Burfict(Bucking feast), Luck, Alshon Jeffrey, Mohamed Sanu, Blackmon, Trent Richardson, and a few others I would not know who to keep an eye on next year. I like to use the sites as a programming guide.

Back off my boy Burfict ;)

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
AsthmaField;3918978 said:
Very well said.

I remember distinctly so badly wanting Dallas to draft Marc Spindler DT out of Pitt in the 1990 draft. He was a big, mean, hard working guy who would be perfect for the middle of Jimmy Johnson's defense.

When the Cowboys traded up from the 20's to pick #17, I was convinced that they were moving up for my guy Spindler. Instead they drafted a guy named Emmitt Smith, and while I thought he was a good player, I was greatly disappointed to see them pass on Spindler.

I just knew they missed the next Randy White. :eek::

No need to explain how off I was on that. Emmitt was one of the best RB's ever, Spindler was average and they simply picked up Tony Castillas from Atlanta to man the middle of the DL.

I have watched every draft since that one and it never fails to amaze me how far off the draft "experts" can be. Or how far off we fans can be.

The bottom line I suppose is that you can just never tell. If we pass on T Smith and take JJ Watt, there will be a lot of teeth gnashing, but in three years, Watt could very well be a pro bowler and Smith could be another Alex Barron.

Or vice versa.

I agree that so called draft guru's probably don't know any more than you or I do, and really the only one's who know more are the team's coaches and scouts. They have access to things we can only dream of and they get the chance to sit down with the players and pick their brains.

And since they do get the chance to do that, when they pick a guy I don't want them to... like they did in 1990 with Emmitt Smith... I now tend to think they know a whole lot more than I (or any of the Kiper types) do about it.

If the Cowboys take Castonzo at 9, I'll be just fine with it.

That's the thing; you just have to kowtow to the Cowboys' scouting department's expertise and believe they know much better about a player. That's when you have to turn optimist.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3918989 said:
I think if I had to chose between Tyron Smith at 9, or Gabe Carimi and a 3rd I will take Tyron. And I respect what Carimi brings.

In other words, in order to drop down to our #2, or #3 tackle I am going to need a 2nd round pick back in some fashion.

I don't really disagree with that, in principle. However, if Dallas thinks Smith is only very slightly better than their second rated tackle (probably Castonzo), or even about equal to each other... then picking up a third and getting the same kind of player (in Dallas' eyes) would be a good thing.

Overall though, if they have Smith rated much higher than Castonzo, then no, a third wouldn't be enough to skip Smith. Heck, a second wouldn't really be enough if they think Smith is all that.

In my mind, you get the blue chipper and worry about the rest of the draft later on.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;3918990 said:
Back off my boy Burfict ;)

Sounds like a name I would make in Madden.

I love his physicality, he flies around and is not afraid of contact. I think thats what you need to pair w/ Sean Lee for years. Thats why Im also a fan of Bruce Carter this year. Super athlete that can fly around and make plays.

If we come out of this draft/FA with Huff, Peterson, and a top tier tackle I would be ok with having to go into the 2012 draft with huge needs at DE and ILB. To me thats a fair trade off after we have seen the results of having no safety or RT.

Get starters. Fills the craters and worry about the pot holes later

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
realtick;3918991 said:
That's the thing; you just have to kowtow to the Cowboys' scouting department's expertise and believe they know much better about a player. That's when you have to turn optimist.

Exactly.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3918984 said:
See I always thought the pundits were good for telling you about where a guy is supposed to go. For the most part when it comes to my personal opinion on a player I like to do it the old school way and watch youtube.

For example besides Vontaze Burfict(Bucking feast), Luck, Alshon Jeffrey, Mohamed Sanu, Blackmon, Trent Richardson, and a few others I would not know who to keep an eye on next year. I like to use the sites as a programming guide.

Trust me, there are a handful of players that I don't know of today that we'll be talking about a year from now, lol. Those sites are useful for looking at names to put on your radar.

I think the role of the pundits (ie. Kiper, McShay, et cetera) has really changed from giving player analysis to now mainly insider information. If you notice when you watch the programs, they're often giving you information on what they've heard teams like, want or will do, versus just straight player assessment.

Lol, I've got nothing against YouTube, it's actually a great resource nowadays. You've got folks putting all the snaps of a specific player on video (good or bad) and posting it, which is infinitely better than just a "highlight" clip.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
SDogo;3918877 said:
I would rather have Smith but as I have been saying with very unwelcoming responses, Smith is simply not ready to step in and play this year. The Cowboys see it the same way but they also see his ceiling is twice that of Anthony.

Castanzo offers you a player ready to come in Day 1 and play yet and be solid for the next 10 years. Maybe making a pro bowl or two in that time.

Smith offers you a players that need a years development and an additional of growing pains but will give you 15 years of pro-bowl level play.

The Cowboys just need to weigh the importance of production now or franchise player later.

15 years of pro bowl level play?

Any prospect that any team would see that in, would surely be the first player picked at their position and probably # 1 overall.

15 years of pro bowl level play. Wow! Like come on.

There's an argument that the guy can't step in his first season as a starter and he's supposed to be a guy who can start for 15 years and provide pro-bowl level play throughout 15 years?

If that's what teams thought of this guy, he would go 1st overall. Hands down. Nevermind questioning if he would be the first player taken at his position.

Like, Demarcus Ware will never make 15 pro bowls, might not even play 15 years. What player in the NFL has ever done such a thing.

This kid will never be better than Anthony Munoz, but for some reason we're talking probowls for 15 years.

We've got Patrick Peterson and Marcell Dareus in this draft who are clearly the 2 best prospects in the draft. Not one mention of being a future 15 pro-bowl level season player.

Suh looks like a beast and surely won't be considered a future 15 pro-bowl level player. It doesn't exist.

I don't know.

Talk about hype.

Illini88228

Reaction score
casmith07;3918906 said:
If we were drafting Smith to play LT, I'd go for it. I think it makes more sense to trade down for a RT.

I really don't understand the hate for RTs. Good teams have pass rushers on both sides, or at least move their best rusher around to both sides throughout the game. I would think the team that has had to deal with Torrin Tucker, Ryan Pettiti, Colombo on one leg, etc. would appreciate the importance of having two good tackles. I think the bottom line is, if they think this Tyron Smith is a special player who will potentially make pro bowls for years to come, then they need to just suck it up and take him even if he will be on the right side.

RS12

Reaction score
I still say smoke screen on Costonzo. Didnt that guy get abused by some of the better pass rushers in the ACC IIRC?

tm1119

Reaction score
casmith07;3918906 said:
If we were drafting Smith to play LT, I'd go for it. I think it makes more sense to trade down for a RT.

I agree with this. No one seems to be thinking about $ when they say draft Smith at #9. If we take Smith at 9 he's going to get paid LT $, regardless of the CBA. That means when it's time resign Free we will be paying 2 guys LT $. Not sure if that's in Jerry's plans. But if we take Castonzo further down at 14 or 15 he will be a more reasonable price. Plus we will add another young player to a position of need with the additional 3rd we would get. Just seems like a more reasonable scenario than taking the chance on Smith alone.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
realtick;3919001 said:
Trust me, there are a handful of players that I don't know of today that we'll be talking about a year from now, lol. Those sites are useful for looking at names to put on your radar.

I think the role of the pundits (ie. Kiper, McShay, et cetera) has really changed from giving player analysis to now mainly insider information. If you notice when you watch the programs, they're often giving you information on what they've heard teams like, want or will do, versus just straight player assessment.

Lol, I've got nothing against YouTube, it's actually a great resource nowadays. You've got folks putting all the snaps of a specific player on video (good or bad) and posting it, which is infinitely better than just a "highlight" clip.

Another reason why its a great fallback is because at a certain point I want to just sit back and enjoy my college football. The way the day unfolds is you start off w/ what you think will be the GOTD, for me it was usually on the SEC on CBS, and then you wait and see what unfolds around the country and follow the action.

I love you Tyron but your teams games were meaningless and I can only get to you so many times over the course of a season. Your snaps are documented and Ill catch ya later.

Im finding the roles of the McSchays to be rather easy. Hop on Sportscenter and give each team in the top 10 2-3 ways they could go. Im finding I could finish their sentences after a while

Im more impressed when Mayock locks himself in the film room and talks to the kids coaches and gets super specific on the minutia of an Edmond Gates.

burmafrd

Reaction score
AKATheRake;3919006 said:
15 years of pro bowl level play?

Any prospect that any team would see that in, would surely be the first player picked at their position and probably # 1 overall.

15 years of pro bowl level play. Wow! Like come on.

There's an argument that the guy can't step in his first season as a starter and he's supposed to be a guy who can start for 15 years and provide pro-bowl level play throughout 15 years?

If that's what teams thought of this guy, he would go 1st overall. Hands down. Nevermind questioning if he would be the first player taken at his position.

Like, Demarcus Ware will never make 15 pro bowls, might not even play 15 years. What player in the NFL has ever done such a thing.

This kid will never be better than Anthony Munoz, but for some reason we're talking probowls for 15 years.

We've got Patrick Peterson and Marcell Dareus in this draft who are clearly the 2 best prospects in the draft. Not one mention of being a future 15 pro-bowl level season player.

Suh looks like a beast and surely won't be considered a future 15 pro-bowl level player. It doesn't exist.

I don't know.

Talk about hype.

Not really. Looke at some of the top LTs and other O linemen in the past. Many of them got Pro Bowl nods and actually were worthy in their mid 30's. Smith will be 21 in December. So if he does not make his first pro bowl ( or be considered for one) until his second season he could if uninjured and consistent still get one at age 36. So that is 15 years. But even if he did not get it until say year 3 and got 10 straight that would be a huge plus for this team. Look at Jason Witten. He was drafted at about the same age. How many Pro Bowls does he have now?

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
This is a little bit of a letdown if we select him at 9 and not with a trade down.

I like the Peterson and Smith route a lot more.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
burmafrd;3918879 said:
they will not take Castonso without a trade down. They will not take him at #9. Mosely is being fed BS.
Broadus has fallen in love with being a mediot and his quality is dropping. He wants to be 'relevent' and it is not a good thing.

Haha easy man.

I bet he is right and Dallas is only thinking short term.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3918904 said:
Amen.

It seems to me that we're getting way too far into need and "ready to play now" this year. Whatever happened to taking the best player available? Does anyone really think Anthony Castonzo is truly the ninth (or better) best player in the entire country? Or better said, that in two to three years he'll be the ninth (or better) best NFL player from this draft class?

I don't. He seems very ordinary to me. What's so special about him?

What's so special is that there are only 8 non defensive end players that are better than him. The other OTs might end up better than him, but they also might not because it's unknown how much they can improve.

Illini88228

Reaction score
Illini88228;3919010 said:
I really don't understand the hate for RTs. Good teams have pass rushers on both sides, or at least move their best rusher around to both sides throughout the game. I would think the team that has had to deal with Torrin Tucker, Ryan Pettiti, Colombo on one leg, etc. would appreciate the importance of having two good tackles. I think the bottom line is, if they think this Tyron Smith is a special player who will potentially make pro bowls for years to come, then they need to just suck it up and take him even if he will be on the right side.

Should be Rob Pettiti...D'oh

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
burmafrd;3919035 said:
Not really. Looke at some of the top LTs and other O linemen in the past. Many of them got Pro Bowl nods and actually were worthy in their mid 30's. Smith will be 21 in December. So if he does not make his first pro bowl ( or be considered for one) until his second season he could if uninjured and consistent still get one at age 36. So that is 15 years. But even if he did not get it until say year 3 and got 10 straight that would be a huge plus for this team. Look at Jason Witten. He was drafted at about the same age. How many Pro Bowls does he have now?

Thanks for addressing that.

It was right in line with what would of been my response.