Broaddus: Castonzo most likely will be the pick

Illini88228

Reaction score
Alexander;3919490 said:
And what did we end up with? Wade Phillips' son, who has never coached the position.

How exactly you go from pursuing Bruce Matthews to settling for that?

Garrett said on numerous occasions that Wes was his right hand man. Don't hold the sins of the father against him until we see what he's capable of.

Besides, the best players seldom make the best coaches. Just because he's Bruce Matthews doesn't mean he can make Tyron Smith play like he's Bruce Matthews.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I cannot see the Cowboys taking Castanzo at #9. If they want him, they will trade back first.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
burmafrd;3918889 said:
IF the boys really do believe that Smith is going to be that much better down the road there is NO excuse for not taking him.
This. /thread

newlander

Reaction score
nyc;3919627 said:
I cannot see the Cowboys taking Castanzo at #9. If they want him, they will trade back first.

....this kid is NOT a top ten pick, c'mon guys.:banghead:

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3918904 said:
Amen.

It seems to me that we're getting way too far into need and "ready to play now" this year. Whatever happened to taking the best player available? Does anyone really think Anthony Castonzo is truly the ninth (or better) best player in the entire country? Or better said, that in two to three years he'll be the ninth (or better) best NFL player from this draft class?

I don't. He seems very ordinary to me. What's so special about him?

Yep. I hate it when the Cowboys get into this "We're going to use the draft to plug immediate needs" mindframe. It's led to some of Jerry's truly greatest draft blunders. Drafting David LeFluer to fill the immediate TE need after Novacek retired. The CB draft of Larrimore/Goodrich/Mario Edwards after Deion retired. The Shante Carver/Kavika Pittman drafts after Haley retired. The great "We're going to draft backups and special teamers to fill depth issues for next year" drafts like the 1995 and 2009.

Jerry absolutely loves this trading back to aquire a horde of mediocre talent, and it's led to some mediocre roters.

If RT is that immediate of a need, go sign a stop gap vet free agent. That's what free agency is for ... to plug immediate holes with seasoned, veteran players. You don't have to get a premiere one, just get one who can fill in for a year or two the way the Steelers got Flozell.

You have a Top 10 pick. It's a rare opportunity to aquire an elite talent. It's your "reward" for suffering through a 6-10 season. Make the most of it. Invest in a potential difference maker. Spend it on someone who could end up on the Ring of Honor, don't spend it it on some guy who could be the next Jon Stinchcomb or Ryan O'Callaghan.

Woods

Reaction score
nyc;3919627 said:

I have to agree with you.

I just don't see Castonzo as the 9th best player in this draft or even in the top 12.

That said, I think he will probably be a solid player, especially once he improves his leg strength and run blocking. Not sure he will be a Pro Bowl player either. But just a solid player.

Personally, I don't know if there is much difference between Castonzo versus Carimi and Sherrod.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Anyone else besides me get the feeling that if Constanzo played at any other University than Boston College he would be a 2nd rounder (at best).