Broaddus: Castonzo most likely will be the pick

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
burmafrd;3919279 said:
Kind of strange not wanting to stay put; I mean is Jerruh just wanting to move around to look good or what?

I believe it is the "or what" part.

In the past, I think he has liked to show off, but that was moving late first round picks to stockpile choices later.

I think they are struggling right now with the draft pool itself and the fact we are picking ninth and may have to pay a player who is not necessarily worth that selection. I can understand how they would be a little concerned with their spot. Nobody that would be a value gels with need. We have perhaps the most uncomfortable position in the first round.

This is such a strange draft and the uncertainty of everything has got to be maddening. Most teams are looking to move somehow. The idea of standing pat has got to be driving Jones crazy.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Hoofbite;3919316 said:
I have to take a little issue with that line of thought.

Dallas has a clear need at OT. The need at DE might be there but they absolutely cannot go another year without addressing OT.

OT has to be the top, or tied for the top, priority. FS is the only position that you can make an argument for as the biggest need.

If you have equally rated guys, some who play at a position of serious need and some who do not, the guys that play at the position of need have to be a priority. You can't reasonably settle on a guy at a position that isn't needed nearly as much because you have them rated similarly.

I really hope that Dallas doesn't try to get too cute and misses out on one of the better OTs in the draft because they had a non-needed position player rated right along with those OTs

I think that OL is more of an immediate need than DE. But that doesn't mean we need to draft a RT to start this year. I don't see anyone knowing how well Colombo is and what he and/or Young can do this year. It seems most are just assuming Colombo is finished and Young will not be able to contribute. And I'm not saying I wouldn't take an OT in the first round this year. I'm not certain even the team knows how much they can depend on Colombo or Kosier this year. And that leaves Davis out of the conversation.

Without first hand knowledge of all the factors we can't really critique the decision of whether to draft Smith or Constanzo or even Sherrod or Solder.

IMO, we need to draft OL for the future and for immediate competition. Drafting in the lower part of the first round may end up being as good as the top.

Having said all that I'd still draft Smith because we need a swing tackle. And I am making an assumption that our current swing tackle won't be with the team this year. I can't even know that with certainty.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
jobberone;3919351 said:
I think that OL is more of an immediate need than DE. But that doesn't mean we need to draft a RT to start this year. I don't see anyone knowing how well Colombo is and what he and/or Young can do this year. It seems most are just assuming Colombo is finished and Young will not be able to contribute. And I'm not saying I wouldn't take an OT in the first round this year. I'm not certain even the team knows how much they can depend on Colombo or Kosier this year. And that leaves Davis out of the conversation.

Nobody needs to assume that Colombo is done. His play pretty much advertised it on a weekly basis.

And you can't even really talk about Young. He was drafted late last year. If he didn't warrant playing time last season while Colombo was failing week-in and week-out, he's not going to improve enough to be counted on this season.

Without first hand knowledge of all the factors we can't really critique the decision of whether to draft Smith or Constanzo or even Sherrod or Solder.

IMO, we need to draft OL for the future and for immediate competition. Drafting in the lower part of the first round may end up being as good as the top.

Having said all that I'd still draft Smith because we need a swing tackle. And I am making an assumption that our current swing tackle won't be with the team this year. I can't even know that with certainty.

I wasn't advocating for any specific OT. I was just saying that I don't think it's realistic to consider a group of players to be rated equally if some of them play at a position of need and other don't.

If all things are equal and one guy plays at a position of need, I don't think it makes sense to be "okay" with landing either of them. At some point, position of need has to come into play. If there was a DE who was just absolutely the better pick than an OT, fine. But, if the Cowboys have a couple DEs and a couple of OTs rated the same, I can't get on board with trading back with the assumption that any of the lot will work.

Of course, they could be considering position in their ranking I suppose. Something I really didn't put much thought to before. I guess they could view the DEs as being superior in a straight-up sense but are elevating the OTs based on need.

Who knows. Either way, I think if a team has a group of guys slotted equally, position should win out.

And yes, Dallas does need to draft OL for the future but between the draft and free agency, they need a RT. They absolutely cannot go without making a move at that position.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
SDogo;3919332 said:
Problem is your doing what many fans do and I even do myself and that's thinking you know that OT is a bigger priority then DE to the Cowboys.

Even I dont claim to know the exact situation with the current players and the contract situations as they stand right now. I can make some educated guesses based information I received and right now that information points towards the Cowboys entering the season with 3 OT's under contract and 4th in Free likely to be tagged or signed giving them 4 while only 1 DE is under contract in Igor and it looks as if there will be an issue resigning Spears and Hatcher.

Also factor in, the FA class lacks in 3-4 DE's while there are several OT's that can be had.

These are all factors that come into play.

Good points.

But as I have said in another thread......watching RT and FS hamstring the team for an entire season makes a pretty strong case that those are the weakest points.

I'm okay if Dallas doesn't go after a FS because I guess Huff is all but assured to come to Dallas.

RT on the other hand is a different story because RG is also pretty damn weak.

Ideally there would be an entire new right side to the OL but that's probably not going to happen.

I would just really hate to see Dallas try and work a little magic, only to get caught with their pants down.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
casmith07;3919331 said:
In my opinion, I don't care whether our tackles are All-Pro, multiple Pro Bowl guys or not, as long as they do their job and do it well.

If they can give me Doug Free type production - steady with few mistakes - I'll be plenty happy. Was Doug Free worthy of a Pro Bowl selection? Maybe, but I don't care as long as they keep Tony upright and give him time to hit Miles and Dez down field.

And Roy.

:)

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
I am a little surprised in all this talk that no one has brought up the labor situation. Basically, both OT's that we all seem to agree are the top two choices both need NFL strength training and technique work. Likelihood is that neither is going to get that much of either the way things are looking.

So it almost seems like we better hope that Colombo has something left in the tank so that he can start at the beginning of the season and then if he falters we can go to the rookie a little later down the road.

Would seem that if we stay at 9 and draft Smith we might feel that Colombo is going to be able to contribute. And honestly, I don't see any way we can take Castonzo over Smith.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chocolate Lab;3918988 said:
I was partly kidding because I knew he was the question, but really, when most people read

- Good feet but lacks technique
- More athlete than technical player
- Needs a lot of time in an NFL weight room

they'd think that describes Smith (or even Solder), not Castonzo.

Just curious, how does this jibe with what you said earlier about Castonzo being ready to play from Day One and be solid for a decade?

Meh... I'm with realtick on Castonzo. He looks awkward as athlete to me, and you can't have that in a top-10 overall OT.

Also, this "he can be moved to guard" talk doesn't mean anything to me. If anything, it's a negative, much like when people talk about how corners can be moved to safety. When was an Okung or Williams talked about being versatile enough to play inside? Never. A top 10 or even 15 pick should excel at his original, more valuable position with no hedging in case he can't play.

So then Tyron Smith is definitely out for you then?

Hoofbite

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;3919448 said:

Not sure any OL could give him enough time to get downfield.

Nah, just kidding. He looked much better last season.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Fla Cowpoke;3919455 said:
I am a little surprised in all this talk that no one has brought up the labor situation. Basically, both OT's that we all seem to agree are the top two choices both need NFL strength training and technique work. Likelihood is that neither is going to get that much of either the way things are looking.

So it almost seems like we better hope that Colombo has something left in the tank so that he can start at the beginning of the season and then if he falters we can go to the rookie a little later down the road.

Would seem that if we stay at 9 and draft Smith we might feel that Colombo is going to be able to contribute. And honestly, I don't see any way we can take Castonzo over Smith.

How much strength and conditioning do you think any person can get done in a few months?

They'll still be able to work out with the team. Sure, they won't have the benefit of direct coaching but I'd be more worried about them getting a feel for the speed and missing mini-camps.....or god forbid training camp if it comes to it.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Hoofbite;3919466 said:
How much strength and conditioning do you think any person can get done in a few months?

They'll still be able to work out with the team. Sure, they won't have the benefit of direct coaching but I'd be more worried about them getting a feel for the speed and missing mini-camps.....or god forbid training camp if it comes to it.

The technique work they will be missing is the important thing....I think both will be ok from a strength standpoint....

But the minicamps, training with Woicik and crew, that's priceless for a rookie, especially ones that we are hoping can start.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I guess you can color me as conservative on this subject. I would be just fine with getting Castonzo at #9.

He's regarded as this draft's best Offensive Tackle, Smith is projected to possibly be better in the future.

Castonzo is a 53-game starter. That's a ton of experience. Smith has started 24 games.

Advantage Castonzo in my opinion - big time.

One guy is a Rhodes Scholar candidate while the other missed the game against Castonzo and BC due to academic suspension - advantage Castonzo.

Castonzo has already shown the ability to play Left Tackle, not be projected there. He has shown the ability to play RT as well (if need be) and he also played some at guard during the Senior Bowl (although not where you want someone of his size).

I think you can get one guy who could be the next Joe Thomas or roll the dice on a guy who could be the next Winston Justice.

Again, this is just my opinion, but I think I would feel safer going with Castonzo.

Alexander

Reaction score
stasheroo;3919477 said:
I guess you can color me as conservative on this subject. I would be just fine with getting Castonzo at #9.

He's regarded as this draft's best Offensive Tackle, Smith is projected to possibly be better in the future.

Castonzo is a 53-game starter. That's a ton of experience. Smith has started 24 games.

Advantage Castonzo in my opinion - big time.

One guy is a Rhodes Scholar candidate while the other missed the game against Castonzo and BC due to academic suspension - advantage Castonzo.

Castonzo has already shown the ability to play Left Tackle, not be projected there. He has shown the ability to play RT as well (if need be) and he also played some at guard during the Senior Bowl (although not where you want someone of his size).

I think you can get one guy who could be the next Joe Thomas or roll the dice on a guy who could be the next Winston Justice.

Again, this is just my opinion, but I think I would feel safer going with Castonzo.

Castonzo is safer. And yes, a very conservative pick. But there is a reason why he has not been consistently graded as the top OT. Quite simply he is not an elite athlete or talent. Solid as can be, but that kind of prospect you pick in the early twenties, not at nine. If he gets chosen at nine, it is a harsh indictment on the overall nature of this draft. I do not believe he is even close to being as good as Joe Thomas was.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Alexander;3919483 said:
Castonzo is safer. And yes, a very conservative pick. But there is a reason why he has not been consistently graded as the top OT. Quite simply he is not an elite athlete or talent. Solid as can be, but that kind of prospect you pick in the early twenties, not at nine. If he gets chosen at nine, it is a harsh indictment on the overall nature of this draft. I do not believe he is even close to being as good as Joe Thomas was.

I agree, at this point he is certainly not. But he is a prospect that has continued to make significant strides the past few seasons, specifically in the areas of strength. And I think Mike Woicik could work wonders with him.

And I feel tht Castonzo is an extremely motivated, intelligent player who loves the game and will definitely give his all to improve and succeed. I'm not sure I get the same feeling about Smith.

Another concern I have is the future of the offensive line from a coaching standpoint. If Tyron Smith is projected at Left Tackle, who will work with him long-term on that transition?

It seemed to me that this team was looking for 'help' for Hudson Houck already.

Alexander

Reaction score
stasheroo;3919487 said:
Another concern I have is the future of the offensive line from a coaching standpoint. If Tyron Smith is projected at Left Tackle, who will work with him long-term on that transition?

It seemed to me that this team was looking for 'help' for Hudson Houck already.

And what did we end up with? Wade Phillips' son, who has never coached the position.

How exactly you go from pursuing Bruce Matthews to settling for that?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
stasheroo;3919460 said:
So then Tyron Smith is definitely out for you then?

Not at all, why?

I am wary of a guy who gets graded up for what he looks like, but I'm not really out on anyone unless I've seen them play a lot and don't they'll make it.

And I think I like him more than Castonzo, who I did see get worked by Quinn. It's one thing to have a good player beat you on occasion, but to get just overwhelmed?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Alexander;3919490 said:
And what did we end up with? Wade Phillips' son, who has never coached the position.

How exactly you go from pursuing Bruce Matthews to settling for that?

Don't get me started on that one!

Your guess is as good as mine as to that thinking.

Maybe Wade's boy has some good organizational skills but I fail to see how that is a big help to coaching a position he's never coached.

I file that one right next to bringing Campo and Maxie back.

Still makes my head hurt!

But back to the two linemen, if I'm investing my #9 pick and money, I would go with the safer pick and the guy I feel is the smarter, more hard-working, more experienced, more versatile, more proven choice.

And this is not a bash-fest against Tyron Smith even if it seems that way. I'll be happy if they picked him and hope that they're right about his potential.

Mostly I'll be thrillled that they've woken up about fixing a broken line.

Alexander

Reaction score
stasheroo;3919495 said:
Mostly I'll be thrillled that they've woken up about fixing a broken line.

I will need to see it first before becoming excited.

burmafrd

Reaction score
The boys have earned no trust at all as regards the O line. When you develope a grand total of 2 Starters in 8 years and 3 in 14 you do not deserve trust.

garyv

Reaction score
13 to 15 range not at 9 if at all possible. I realize people would rather have a sexy pick here but lets all us Cowboy fans be honest, these are the safe and smart picks that we have been failing on for years. We need guys that can plug in and play immediately. However I would like to trade down and add a 2nd or 3rd and take either Costanzo, Tyron Smith or Game Carimi with the trade down pick. I would be happy with any 1 of those 3. I like JJ Watt but feel strongly we can get a DE later in the Draft. In the 2nd and 3rd Rounds I like the following not in any order: Secondary, OL, DL. Few names that I've been thinking 3rd/4th Rounds is Will Rackley, Moffitt, Weisnewski. In the 2nd Round honestly I take the best available player that slides to #40 and there should be 3 or 4 1st Rounders that are sitting there.

Illini88228

Reaction score
speedkilz88;3919113 said:
Most qbs are right handed so they can see the rush on the right side.
TEs typically line up on the right side which slows down an outside speed rush.
Teams typically run to the right and want to run behind physical brutes not finesse types with great feet.

I understand historically why that has been the case. It just seems like an outdated way of thinking about it. Pass rushers are so fast anymore, if one gets through it doesn't really matter whether the qb can see them or not, they're still going to impact the throw enough to mess up the passing game.

You can't win if you can't protect the quarterback on both sides, see the Vikings game two years ago, and every game last year as proof.