Broaddus: Castonzo most likely will be the pick

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Not to speak for AKA, but I don't think age was his main concern, it was the overall greatness being predicted for Smith. No one's ever made 15 Pro Bowls. Anthony Munoz only made 11.

I'm sure SDogo was just exaggerating a tad. ;)

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
SDogo;3918877 said:
I would rather have Smith but as I have been saying with very unwelcoming responses, Smith is simply not ready to step in and play this year. The Cowboys see it the same way but they also see his ceiling is twice that of Anthony.

Castanzo offers you a player ready to come in Day 1 and play yet and be solid for the next 10 years. Maybe making a pro bowl or two in that time.

Smith offers you a players that need a years development and an additional of growing pains but will give you 15 years of pro-bowl level play.

The Cowboys just need to weigh the importance of production now or franchise player later.

if they choose anything other than the latter option then it seems to me they vastly oversestimate the talent on this team, cos we are 2 years awyf from challenging at leasstb imo.

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3918904 said:
Amen.

It seems to me that we're getting way too far into need and "ready to play now" this year. Whatever happened to taking the best player available? Does anyone really think Anthony Castonzo is truly the ninth (or better) best player in the entire country? Or better said, that in two to three years he'll be the ninth (or better) best NFL player from this draft class?

I don't. He seems very ordinary to me. What's so special about him?
I just don't see him being worth the 9th or being the best tackle in this class down the road.

I hate that we would take him over Smith just because he's more "ready" now. I think Smith could plug into RT and start this season imo.

I want PP as my first choice so i'm rooting for that even more now instead of this option.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Illini88228;3919010 said:
I really don't understand the hate for RTs. Good teams have pass rushers on both sides, or at least move their best rusher around to both sides throughout the game. I would think the team that has had to deal with Torrin Tucker, Ryan Pettiti, Colombo on one leg, etc. would appreciate the importance of having two good tackles. I think the bottom line is, if they think this Tyron Smith is a special player who will potentially make pro bowls for years to come, then they need to just suck it up and take him even if he will be on the right side.

Most qbs are right handed so they can see the rush on the right side.
TEs typically line up on the right side which slows down an outside speed rush.
Teams typically run to the right and want to run behind physical brutes not finesse types with great feet.

burmafrd

Reaction score
speedkilz88;3919113 said:
Teams typically run to the right and want to run behind physical brutes not finesse types with great feet.

That did not help Tony when Ray Edwards was using Colombo like a rag.

The days when you could afford to not have a very good pass protecting RT are gone.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3919098 said:
Not to speak for AKA, but I don't think age was his main concern, it was the overall greatness being predicted for Smith. No one's ever made 15 Pro Bowls. Anthony Munoz only made 11.

I'm sure SDogo was just exaggerating a tad. ;)

Ok, I should of clarified and said he will play at a Pro Bowl level for 15 years.

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
SDogo;3919261 said:
Ok, I should of clarified and said he will play at a Pro Bowl level for 15 years.
Are you hearing that Castonzo would be selected ahead of Smith at 9 or he could be the target only after a trade?

SDogo

Reaction score
Dash28;3919264 said:
Are you hearing that Castonzo would be selected ahead of Smith at 9 or he could be the target only after a trade?

I'm not buying he would be the selection at 9 at all.

Honestly the more info I get the more I believe Dallas does not want to take anyone at 9. At this point I would be absolutely stunned if they dont move up or down out of 9.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Kind of strange not wanting to stay put; I mean is Jerruh just wanting to move around to look good or what?

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
burmafrd;3919279 said:
Kind of strange not wanting to stay put; I mean is Jerruh just wanting to move around to look good or what?
My first two options would be up for PP or take Smith at 9. But if they have Smith, Watt, Jordan, Castonzo rated that closely than I see the trade down possibility.

SDogo

Reaction score
burmafrd;3919279 said:

I think it has more to do with plethora of prospects they have ranked closely. If you take into account that Dallas grades DE's and OT's similar and their interest lies in Tyron Smith, Anthony Castonzo, JJ Watt and Cameron Jordan the odds that you can trade down even 7 spots and still likely land one of those guys while obtaining additional picks is good then those are the types of moves that can give you flexibility to get a player that drops at the end of Round 1 or beginning of Round 2 when your select in the top 10.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
casmith07;3918906 said:
If we were drafting Smith to play LT, I'd go for it. I think it makes more sense to trade down for a RT.

What if the OT we draft at 9 turns out to start for 10+ years with at least probowls and misses less than a season whereas the next 2 tackles taken start for 10 years combined with only 1 pro bowl between them?

Mrdude108

Corleone
Reaction score
burmafrd;3918889 said:
IF the boys really do believe that Smith is going to be that much better down the road there is NO excuse for not taking him.

Exactly. If we ended up getting Peterson, I would be just fine with trading next years first to get Smith, so he can have that year to learn and grow into a starting RT and we could call him our first rounder next season. In saying that, I am assuming (hoping) we don't pick anywhere near #9, I'd rather be in the 32 spot or as close to it as possible and Smith would be a steal.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
SDogo;3919289 said:
I think it has more to do with plethora of prospects they have ranked closely. If you take into account that Dallas grades DE's and OT's similar and their interest lies in Tyron Smith, Anthony Castonzo, JJ Watt and Cameron Jordan the odds that you can trade down even 7 spots and still likely land one of those guys while obtaining additional picks is good then those are the types of moves that can give you flexibility to get a player that drops at the end of Round 1 or beginning of Round 2 when your select in the top 10.

I have to take a little issue with that line of thought.

Dallas has a clear need at OT. The need at DE might be there but they absolutely cannot go another year without addressing OT.

OT has to be the top, or tied for the top, priority. FS is the only position that you can make an argument for as the biggest need.

If you have equally rated guys, some who play at a position of serious need and some who do not, the guys that play at the position of need have to be a priority. You can't reasonably settle on a guy at a position that isn't needed nearly as much because you have them rated similarly.

I really hope that Dallas doesn't try to get too cute and misses out on one of the better OTs in the draft because they had a non-needed position player rated right along with those OTs

tm1119

Reaction score
baj1dallas;3919300 said:
What if the OT we draft at 9 turns out to start for 10+ years with at least probowls and misses less than a season whereas the next 2 tackles taken start for 10 years combined with only 1 pro bowl between them?

That's a pointless hypothetical. I can make the argument the other way around just as easily. Unfortunately there's no science to this NFL draft thing. You have to do your homework as best as you can and hope you make the right choice. There's going to be a lot of failure no matter what. It's becoming apparent that Jerry and the rest of the decision makers have graded Smith and Costanzo very closely. If that's really the case and they are set on taking an OT in the 1st(which I'm still not sure on) then there's no real reason not to trade down.

Bizwah

Reaction score
speedkilz88;3919113 said:

I think most here realize this.

But I've said, and I think the poster you were quoting was saying this too, that you need two top-notch pass protectors to bookend your line.

The NFL is becoming more and more a passing league. Defenses are adjusting by having two good pass rushers on the ends.

IMO, the line that divides ORTs and OLTs is blurring.

So, I don't see that drafting a RT high is any worse than drafting an LT. The NFL is changing.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
baj1dallas;3919300 said:

In my opinion, I don't care whether our tackles are All-Pro, multiple Pro Bowl guys or not, as long as they do their job and do it well.

If they can give me Doug Free type production - steady with few mistakes - I'll be plenty happy. Was Doug Free worthy of a Pro Bowl selection? Maybe, but I don't care as long as they keep Tony upright and give him time to hit Miles and Dez down field.

SDogo

Reaction score
Hoofbite;3919316 said:
I have to take a little issue with that line of thought.

Dallas has a clear need at OT. The need at DE might be there but they absolutely cannot go another year without addressing OT.

OT has to be the top, or tied for the top, priority. FS is the only position that you can make an argument for as the biggest need.

If you have equally rated guys, some who play at a position of serious need and some who do not, the guys that play at the position of need have to be a priority. You can't reasonably settle on a guy at a position that isn't needed nearly as much because you have them rated similarly.

I really hope that Dallas doesn't try to get too cute and misses out on one of the better OTs in the draft because they had a non-needed position player rated right along with those OTs

Problem is your doing what many fans do and I even do myself and that's thinking you know that OT is a bigger priority then DE to the Cowboys.

Even I dont claim to know the exact situation with the current players and the contract situations as they stand right now. I can make some educated guesses based information I received and right now that information points towards the Cowboys entering the season with 3 OT's under contract and 4th in Free likely to be tagged or signed giving them 4 while only 1 DE is under contract in Igor and it looks as if there will be an issue resigning Spears and Hatcher.

Also factor in, the FA class lacks in 3-4 DE's while there are several OT's that can be had.

These are all factors that come into play.

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
tm1119;3919025 said:
I agree with this. No one seems to be thinking about $ when they say draft Smith at #9. If we take Smith at 9 he's going to get paid LT $, regardless of the CBA. That means when it's time resign Free we will be paying 2 guys LT $. Not sure if that's in Jerry's plans. But if we take Castonzo further down at 14 or 15 he will be a more reasonable price. Plus we will add another young player to a position of need with the additional 3rd we would get. Just seems like a more reasonable scenario than taking the chance on Smith alone.

the only good part about that you got two young swing tackles

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
SDogo;3919332 said:
Problem is your doing what many fans do and I even do myself and that's thinking you know that OT is a bigger priority then DE to the Cowboys.

Even I dont claim to know the exact situation with the current players and the contract situations as they stand right now. I can make some educated guesses based information I received and right now that information points towards the Cowboys entering the season with 3 OT's under contract and 4th in Free likely to be tagged or signed giving them 4 while only 1 DE is under contract in Igor and it looks as if there will be an issue resigning Spears and Hatcher.

Also factor in, the FA class lacks in 3-4 DE's while there are several OT's that can be had.

These are all factors that come into play.

DB depth is pretty worrisome as well.